WD PR4100 Lessons Learned

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the purchase of a PR4100. I have used WD hardware for years, but each has its idiosyncrasis. Does anyone have comments, warnings, advise on setting this up for Plex & Channels?

I use this NAS for both Plex & Channels and have been pleasantly pleased with how fast it transcodes, supports commercial detection and generally doesn’t give me any headaches. It can stream multiple shows to multiple TV’s across the network and still not hit 100% CPU. I think WD did a great job on this NAS…and it was a great bonus that I was able to just take the drives out of my old EX4100 and pop them in the PR4100… it recognized the drives right away! Didn’t skip a beat!

1 Like

That is slick. Were you using a RAID set up or JBOD?

RAID 5 set up

That is great news, that is what I decided to implement on mine.

Did the EX4100 work well as a DVR. I have a DL4100 and am looking at using it for the DVR. Currently using the HDHomerun DVR with no issues but husband hates the interface.

The EX4100 worked well as a DVR, but has no transcoding abilities whatsoever, so the remote viewing functionality wasn’t great. The EX4100 also doesn’t support Commercial Detection (biggest downfall for me). Occasionally the EX would slow to a crawl if a few shows were recording at the same time. Upgrading to the PR4100 was totally worth it. Speedy, no slow downs and transcoding for days!

As for the RAID 5 setup, as long as you put the drives in the new PR4100 in the exact same order, you’ll be golden!

1 Like

I have been using a group of 6 standalone My Clouds for several years as a bank of file servers. It was a good solution that worked well, but time is caught up with them and when I was looking at replacements, I realized for a few more bucks I could get a full up NAS that would give me much more capability than just acting as a shared file server.So, I’m swapping to a PR4100. Even with the Raid 5, I will be using my left over My Clouds as a secondary backup.Once a week they will power up, backup all the new files, and then shut down.

Excited to get all the new equipment in and start building.

1 Like