Weird thing happening with guide

Hello,

I am using Apple TV 4, and 4K
2010 Mac mini
4 tuner silicondust

All software is up to date.

The issues I am having with the guide:

Local TVE channels (NBC, CBS, etc) show up in the DVR software on the Mac. I can even

set content to record (from the Mac) and watch it on the ATV. But all the same TVE local channel does not show up in the guide.

When looking up channels in sources on the ATV, those local TVE channels are set as favorites. But all still don’t show up in the guide.

Weird.

If your OTA turner is higher priority on the client devices, the TVE channels' guide listing will be merged into a single entry. So if all of your OTA tuners are in use, the client will then use the TVE version.

The TVE versions will be shown in the Favorites section of the On Now page, or if you change the guide to show only Favorites.

(Of course, if the same channel—for example, NBC—is marked as a Favorite in both the OTA source and the TVE source, the listing will only show the version that comes from the source with the higher priority.)

Is this new? The blending of TVE and OTA on the guide?

There are time when the reception from an OTA channel is not completely clear. During those times I switch to the TVE version (numbered 6000 and up) they used to show up separately.

So now if I can’t switch???

No, not new. The client apps have always combined the same channel from different sources into a single guide entry. (On the other hand, the web UI for the DVR server never combines channels; each is always individually listed.)

My recommendation: keep the TVE channels marked as a Favorite, but do not mark the same channel as a Favorite for your OTA source. That way, if you select the channel from the All, HD, etc., listing in the guide, you will get the OTA version. If you select the channel from the On Now or Favorites listing in the guide, you get the OTA version.

Also, you can still directly tune the hidden channel with number entry (if using a remote), or by using the channel +/- keys on your remote. (Also, if you keep your Guide set to All, the Quick Guide set to Favorites, and Channel Surfing set to All, I feel you'll get the maximum flexibility.)

Remember: priorities and favorites are per client, and separate from the DVR. Client lists of favorites and priorities are solely for tuning/watching live TV; the DVR's priority and favorite lists are used solely for determining which source/channel to use for recording.

Ok I will try that. One more thing.... notice PBS and CBS TVE channels show up separately?

We are now testing a setting, in beta, to let you control whether stations are combined in the guide: BETA: Stack Duplicates setting (Android/Apple)

1 Like