What are these Errors?

Please email it to [email protected]

OK done. You guys are simply awesome!

In reviewing the dump, it appears there is some sort of hardware or OS issue going on. Anything that we do that tries to touch a disk seems to hang.

I don't think there's going to be a way to recover it without rebooting the Shield. Do you happen to have a Harmony Hub and Remote at home?

Oh man that doesn’t sound good. tmm1 mentioned something similar before I think but I got it so I had no issues for 10 straight days on the prior FW so it didn’t seem like it was an issue.

It only became one after updating as requested and trying the newer transcoder and the Live TV one too (which totally locked me out before too)

I don’t have a Harmony there.

Are you sure it’s disc related? I’ve been able to access some parts of the menu now for some reason, including:

On Now
Guide
On Later
DVR
Recordings (Can see but not play anything. See attached image of result)

In other words, I can see all the menus except the admin ones (Settings and Log) and can’t play a recording.

I just tried Live TV from the guide with the same result as recorded tv:

E-A-G-L-E-S...........Eagles!!!

Seems similar to the last time I tried the new live tv transcoder and it locked my whole DVR, but at least that time I was able to get into the menu and disable it again which made it work right again.

Anyone else with a Shield as their Server using these new settings and transcoders with no issues?

Can you go to http://192.168.3.182:8089/log?n=-1 and send the logs to the support email address?

It won’t open.

OK I was able to just type in the last part into the address bar in the window that allowed me to see the limited menu items and then it allowed me to see that log!

It’s way too large to copy from my phone so I’ll try it on my Surface Pro, copy and send when I can.

Here’s a snapshot of the final page of logs if it helps or shows anything?

Not sure what you mean by 'my server drop abruptly at midnight (which it’s seemed to do before)', but if that server is your shield you may have other issues.

Possibly VPN or Shield related. Since you're connecting remotely, could also be bandwidth shortage through the VPN, or local network (where your DVR and HDHR are) bandwidth shortage?

Of course in cases like these where you only see it when remote, it's hard to troubleshoot unless you can sit at home and remote in to test.

I don’t use it through the VPN. I use the normal remote viewing option. Plus when it doesn’t work (like today and other days), I’m able to run other apps like PS Vue, Xfinity Stream, transferring TiVo recordings and other things through the VPN without any issues whatsoever.

My bet is something on the Shield, the new software and/or transcoders or a mixture of both together.

The ONLY time in the last couple weeks I had ANY issues was when I tried the new Live TV Transcoder (two times), and now that in combination with the latest software.

The midnight thing I agree appears to be something else that boots it off temporarily while it does whatever it’s doing but up until now it has always resumed again in a couple mins and then worked fine thereafter. Maybe it’s some kind of scheduled task at that time daily on the shield or something else in the chain?

Understand. I don't use a Shield or do remote viewing. Was just a stab in the dark.

1 Like

Based on what I know about the code (the new and old transcoders), what I saw in the stack traces, and the number of people currently using the new transcoders without issue, I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe the issue is related to the new transcoders. We'll be able to figure out more once we see the logs.

The midnight situation is very confusing — we don't have scheduled tasks that run at midnight.

I just appreciate your contributions and assistance in trying to help me, so Thanks and keep it coming! :+1:t3:

To give you a little more context about what's going on, I see a number of threads that are stuck making system calls including:

• Trying to get the stat() of a file and having it hang for over 1,207 minutes
  • Trying to exec() a new process and having it hang for over 31 minutes
  • Trying to get the available disk space by using statsfs() and having it hang for over 67 minutes

Ahh TiVo, thought your username looked familiar.
Used TiVo for many years until Rovi took it over and it went downhill.
Left TiVo a few years ago, although my Roamio is still connected, but just collecting dust.

Do these others have a Shield and do the developers test in home and remote scenarios for all the updates before they’re posted? I’m sure in the unlikely case that it is the new software/transcoders, it’s due to some strange combination of those and something that I have configured and/or installed, either hardware or software. I’m kind of using it in a unique and fringe situation.

I don’t believe the midnight thing has anything to do with Channels DVR, other than it’s affected whenever whatever it is “does its thing”. I was just hoping maybe someone had the same hardware and recognized the symptoms and could point me in a good direction.

By “threads” you mean in my logs and not other threads here in the forum right?

You’re way over my head with the specific examples you posted though. :woozy_face:

PS - I would concentrate on the last couple weeks in the logs when it was working great, and then see where it all went to Hell after I said I was loading the new software and transcoders. It seemed to work initially but I did notice a few glitches where I had to go through the VPN for maintenance purposes to get it it back going. Then I hadn’t used it for a day or so because I was gone and then came back to this issue late last night.

Yep that’s me, always stirring up trouble haha!