What do the Channels devs want to see in tvOS 11?

We are about 2 months away from WWDC. Curious what the channels devs would like to see (features, APIs etc.) that would enable some cool stuff in Channels?

Personally, I would love apps like Channels, Plex etc to be able to plug into the TV app.

1 Like

I’m not a dev, but my #1 priority is native framerate output and automatic refresh rate switching. 50Hz TV (the standard in most of the world) has judder when output at 60Hz. But switching the ATV to 50Hz output makes other apps like Netflix look terrible because much of their content is 60Hz (or at least the pulldown works much better at 60Hz vs 50Hz). And, of course, 24Hz films should be output at native framerate as well. :slight_smile:

My #2 priority would be better support for interlaced content. As recently noted in another thread, Apple don’t support hardware decoding with H.264 interlaced video. This is short-sighted by Apple as we’re many many years away from an all 1080p/4K world.

My #3 priority would be more extensive support for 3rd party remotes, allowing for additional buttons like direct channel number entry. Though I expect this one has no chance of happening.

2 Likes

Hi Res Audio support would be on my list.

1 Like

I guess nothing :wink:

Unfortunately we know from experience not to expect much. Here’s all we got this time:

tvOS 11 includes includes new features, bug fixes, and security improvements in the OS and SDK, including:

• Automatic light/dark appearance switching.
• Focus API improvements and custom sound support.
• Home Screen Sync.
• Layered image improvements.
• Mobile Device Management improvements.
• Network-based pairing and development support.
• New background modes and notification support.
• Right-to-left language support.
• Web Inspector support for TVMLKit apps

The one feature I would like to see is integration with Siri, but from what I understand that is an Apple invitation only feature.

P.S. I am happy to report that getchannels runs without issue on tvOS 11b1