What happens if there's a channel number conflict?

for example, if we were to use BOTH the native locast integration and the fHDHR as a way of getting more streams into the DVR (effectively doubling from 4 to 8), how would the DVR handle having those duplicated channel numbers?

(i know i could just turn off the "preserve channel numbers" for locast, but i'm curious how it would work if i were to leave that on by mistake...)

If the channel numbers are the same for the same content, then they'll aggregate together just the same as multiple OTA tuners would.

:point_up_2:

The channels merge in the guide and prioritized source is show. The other source will be a fallback if the prioritized source has met its stream limit.

This works great if they’re the same channel. This will confuse you if they are not actually the same channel. So assign your channel numbers wisely.

1 Like

how does channels determine a stream limit for the native locast integration? I know they say it's 4, but in my experience they aren't super strict about enforcing that.

however, when they do, they still allow a stream that just says you've met your limit...right? they don't actually fail to return a stream...

If this is a concern for you, then set your fHDHR playlist as a higher priority, and enforce 4 streams on it. Then any additional streams will fall back to the native Locast.

In my experience with Locast, I get a stream that says to log out / stop 1 stream on another device to stream this channel. Had this happen while using the ChUp / ChDown buttons with Locast.

it's not necessarily a concern, i'm just curious how it is handled. the last time i did that (last week), one of my shows did not record because it did not fall back to the native locast...so it's something that is valid to be worried about IMO.

that's what i've seen too, but it's very hit or miss as to when they enforce it. i'd say more often than not, they don't. i've seen it very rarely...

last week i specifically set four things to record and opened another live channel just to test it, and they didn't block it. even on a channel change (which would have ben six active streams).

my question was more asking: does the native locast have a way of detecting this, or would it just happily record the "you have too many streams open" stream if it hits the limit?

My assumption is that Channels would happily record the “you have too many streams” feed.

Can you submit diagnostics from the dvr next time you see this.

@tmm1 - Will do. FYI - once you hit the max streams (supposed to be 4) you are locked out for 1 hour. Each attempt to play a station within 1 hour, restarts the 1 hour lockout. This leads me to think Locast lacks the visibility / control of their infrastructure for graceful handling of this situation. Because of this, Locast is the lowest priority on all Channel DVR clients and Server in my setup. I haven't had the issue since demoting Locast.

my problem with just setting locast to lowest priority is that it also then uses my TVE locals rather than locast when i'm flipping through the guide, which puts the channels out of order and (now that the option is finally there to use OTA) causes the locast version of NBC and ABC to not show in the guide.

my solution has been to set all ABC and NBC season passes to use the TVE feeds by locking them into that channel number. it'd be great if there was a better solution here, but unless i'm missing something obvious i haven't found it.

@tmm1 would it be possible to add a stream limit option for locast similar to what is in the new m3u playlist settings? i'd hate to see it locked to four streams by default, because like i said they definitely do not always enforce a hard cap at four streams. i've gone over it several times and not seen the "too many streams" error. i haven't been able to come up with a definite scenario where it will always be triggered.

when i was using the fHDHR to get my locast streams into the DVR without the native locast integration, i had it set at a six stream limit to give myself some wiggle room for potential recordings and channel changes...my guess is that they have some sort of algorithm that is checking how often you open a new stream for any channel rather than just limiting it to four active streams at a time. the problem is that i have no clue what that algorithm is...

that would be my assumption too, but you know what they say about assuming things...that's why i asked. i know i'd be all kinds of pissed if i went to watch a recorded show and just had an hour of a "you have too many active streams" message...

Set your Locast source to the high priority on your clients for live viewing/guide, but keep it low priority on the server for recording purposes.

Also, you can favorite the TVE versions of the locals, and when viewing the On Now or Favorites in the Guide, it will present the TVE versions. Also, setting the Quick Guide to show only Favorites will make this easier for switching channels. This is one of the advantages of having separate favorites in the clients than the server.

Edit: Bonus, Favorites can be rearranged, so you can put them in whatever order you like, and it will persist across the On Now, Guide grid, and the Quick Guide.

Set your Locast source to the high priority on your clients for live viewing/guide, but keep it low priority on the server for recording purposes.

how do you do that? i only see one priority option in the settings, i don't see a separate priority for guide vs recordings.

Also, you can favorite the TVE versions of the locals, and when viewing the On Now or Favorites in the Guide, it will present the TVE versions. Also, setting the Quick Guide to show only Favorites will make this easier for switching channels. This is one of the advantages of having separate favorites in the clients than the server.

yes, i know about favorites being a "workaround," but i don't really feel like having to switch back and forth between favorites and all channels every time i want to change the order of my channels. i just want to be able to go to the guide and see all of my channels, in order...especially the locals where i know the OTA number of the channel i'm looking for.

The priority set in your client app is local only to that client. The priority set in your DVR via its web UI is used for determining which source/channel to use when recording. They are separate things.

interesting, i did not know that. thanks, i'll mess around with that and see what i can come up with.

1 Like