What kind of remote do you use with your Apple TV?

Not sure if I just have big fingers or what, but I've never gotten the click to the side of the touch pad to reliably work. I end up with it working sometimes, other times it doesn't work at all, and then sometimes it scrubs a little in the middle of it. A D pad just works.

2 Likes

It’s also a bit different in each app, I have found. It works best and most consistently for me in Channels. But when I am using YouTube TV, for example, it works best if I first click the touch pad, to pause, and then click the edge to “live scrub” ahead 15 seconds. But tapping instead of clicking (at least in YTTV) tends to work best. It jumps ahead instead of scrubbing, and resumes playback much more quickly.

1 Like

Sony X950H.

I use Caavo and it’s far more reliable than Harmony. I personally don’t mind the ATV remote but I need to control my AV and other devices and Caavo works well for my needs.

I also have a Caavo and it does work great. I wish the remote was a little more premium feeling, it’s a little cheap but does work well. I don’t use any of the voice features because I’ve not had much success with it.

Harmony Elite, but I still have to keep the Siri Remote handy. There are some functions that the Harmony just can't handle. Also, I find myself using voice commands more than I used to.

Expanded support for HDMI-CEC and Bluetooth remotes is now available in the latest TestFlight. See https://community.getchannels.com/t/beta-improved-apple-tv-support-for-hdmi-cec-and-bluetooth-remotes/23374 for more details.

1 Like

Samsung

We hate the Siri remote. Hate it. At first, my wife refused to use the Apple TV streaming box. I got the universal one and all is well. However, to move the program progress slider very fast I have to use the Siri remote.
Here's a link to the universal remote we use. It works fine except for special commands that only work on the Siri remote.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V3NVRMY

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. I have an old TiVo remote. I'll give it a try!

I use an app on my iPads, iPhones and Macs called Roomie Remote that controls my Lights, Audio/Video gear, HVAC, Cameras, Irrigation, etc. all in one simple interface (and it also utilizes Siri or Alexa.) It works via WiFi with direct IP control to networked "smart" devices and IP to InfraRed bridges to non-network controllable "dumb" devices. It's how home automation should be done.

1 Like

If you have a cover on your SIRI remote (like I do) you could try removing it for testing. I find I need to hit the far right or left edges and the cover gets in the way for that. Seems to be worse now then in the past but that could just be me.

I don't have a cover on the remote.

Been using the Roomie Remote app on all my iOS devices for years. Pretty happy with it although they did raise their subscription prices a bit lately.

Bumping this six month later. Some talk about Logitech getting out of the remote business. The Siri remote leading this poll is a head scratcher. I use a Harmony hub...

I have both the Logitech Hub and Siri Remote (obviously). It took a little while, but I prefer the Siri remote. It’s so simple to use and I can have consistency across all of my Apple TV’s throughout my house.

Which other devices does the Siri remote, control? Or are you just controlling multiple Apple TVs. Too bad this discussion is limited to Apple TV and not all ChannelsDVR devices...

Siri remote works with HDMI-CEC. So it is basically just a small simple remote that powers on your TV to correct input, Apple-TV, and sound receiver... + controls the volume of your audio equipment.
It is the only remote I use.

Just got in the channel master and all buttons work but it's not Bluetooth so no Siri. $25 dollar replacement.

Amazon

Does anyone make an alternative remote for Apple TV that uses Bluetooth? I would switch to Apple TV in a second but the Siri remote would totally kill the WAF and having the box out would kill my acceptance factor.

1 Like