What Will Channels Become After TVE?

Yeah it was mostly Apple users a lot of other users came over because of TVE ... there are free options that can do regular DVR functionality.. If it is just OTA recording SageTV and NEXTPVR can do this also lifetime EMBY users and Plex users came over because of TVE.

I bet Channels DVR started growing when they introduced TVE

1 Like

Me. I am one of those lot of users. I joined in 2020 specifically for the purpose of a unified linesr TV Guide (combine OTA + Philo). I stayed because it eventually became "wife aproved" that is a hard seal of aproval to get.

If all I wanted was OTA dvr i would just use plex/emby. But plex has lostvits way and vecome bloatware.

3 Likes

I think CDVR is to each person a specific solution. For me it was a way around Spectrum cable card issues and a TIVO that was failing. My need is linear TV and a simple interface that my wife does not give me crap about. I dont have a library of movies or other media. For many that is the exact reason they use CDVR and the loss of TVE has little to no impact on them.

So for me, and only speaking for myself, if TVE support becomes more limited than it has become this week, I will have to leave Channels and go to YTTV full time just to keep peace in the house and eliminate amplifying the side eye I already get when my wife has to change apps to watch her shows.

1 Like

And even more specifically, for those who are looking for TVE replacements and/or cannot receive OTA signals, there are (but not limited to):

Yes, all not as turnkey of a solution, but all good options for integrating media from many different sources. Basically, if it exists somewhere, Channels has a way to integrate it.

And development continues...

2 Likes

Have not seen any new development in Android for quite a while.

1 Like

See updates from 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, and more days ago:

Believe me, I'm all Android/Google, too, and would like more focus there and new features to make their way over at a faster clip, but your comment is misleading, at best.

Those releases are just updating libraries ... no Playlist no downloading the list goes on. No new features at all. I guess you can call updating background libraries developing.

4 Likes

Yeah...or JF with Schedules direct. I used to use OTA on its own and grab whatever I need from streaming services but I'm a sports guy and Channels Collection is a nice feature I would miss...

What about CDVR merging with Emby?

1 Like

My situation:
Yearly CDVR $80 = $6.67/mo. Plus my TOTAL Cox internet+TV = $178. (Just increased $10/mo).
I jumped on CDVR to:
. Save $40/mo,$480/yr. Cox charges $8/mo for mini boxes(no streaming App). I would need 5 x $8 = $40/mo.
. The fantastic m3u export for Multi-screen using TiviMate.
. Commercial skip
. Limited Custom Channels use.
. Multiple TVE "family" sources.
. A way to avoid the 3-stream limit on some streaming providers using TVE, GREAT.
And more.
But as TVE fades away I will likely do this:
. AT&T Fiber 300 $55, plus Youtube TV $73 = $128/mo vs Cox $178. Save $50/mo, $600/yr.
. YTTV has a DVR
. YTTV now has a limited Multi-screen built in, and looks to be just right by Football season, fingers crossed.
. YTTV Problems: Some channels wife likes (PBS Create) not in YTTV would have to be in a separate apps,
App jumping NOT acceptable for my lovely wife, SO...
I would likely keep CDVR, HDHR for TVE, Locals... As long as our Favs still have TVE streams and no DRM.
Plus I prefer the CDVR interface vs YTTV, and the Auto Commercials skip, and Custom Channels
But as TVE fades I fear CDVR will lose its great appeal,
Too bad, and I do not see any other way to aggregate the separate apps... so Cox looks good again!!!
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Back in 2019ish,. Only was able to finally drop Comcast cable tv service after 30yrs+ thanks to discovering Channels DVR.
While, i myself had been using a HDHR Prime Cable Card and Windows Media Center then later Emby, for all my TV needs for many years, the others in the household, not tech savy enough to do that. Also, no easy way/ interface to just connect to the old tvs we have and use.

Channels DVR, is the perfect "Cable Box Replacement" and worked out very very well for my household. Even setup 2 separate servers, one for my own use, one for others (since CDVR does not support user profiles). Lucky enough to find a good location in my apartment unit to put a good antenna to get OTA.

Was able to rip out the Comcast p.o.s ancient cable box, drive to a Comcast store, and cancel service... that was at that time, for cable tv only, was over $200 a month. Now, pay $80yr + $25 a month for Philo that gives me all the channels i mainly wanted, added my Grandparents Xfinity account (sub-account) via tve to get a few more channels that Philo does not have, and it been great ever since.

Most of the TV shows that aired only on primetime networks.... are gone now. Canceled, ended, or other wise, moved over to streaming release on that networks app or site first. The pandemic, then the actor/writer strikes also killed off many shows.
Basically there only 2 shows that is on linear tv that i use CDVR to record now, On Patrol Live on Reelz, and Dr. Pol on Nat GeoWILD. The first i can also watch via Philo app its cloud dvr. The 2nd, via Xfinity Stream/DVR site, if i really needed to.
Otherwise, i most often find myself tunning "Live tv" to one of the Pluto or Samsung tv channels, more so than the remaining TVE networks....

I do hope TVE will remain for as long as possible though. I have no intention of using CDVR as a local media center, imo, it clearly is not designed for that task, its UI (cable box repalcement) is not at all what i would want for that, Plex/Emby etc is much more suited for that purpose.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I feel like @racameron typically whiffs on with his responses in this forum. They seem to have such a visceral response to criticism when the reality is that people engaging in that sort of discussion are doing so in an effort to find a solution in order to try to stay and support this platform. If a customer came for a feature and that feature goes away it seems pretty petty to find it "amusing" that the customers are looking for alternative turnkey solutions.

4 Likes

VLC Bridge PBS is back up and running if you don't need Closed Captions.

VLC Bridge Fubo combined with TVE/Fubo should fill most all of your wife's needs for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

I would have never started using Channels if it was not for TVE. However, now that I have VLC PBS, VLC Fubo, Pluto for Channels, AnyStream, and PlayOn all integrated into Channels, TVE losses have not effected me much at all.

2 Likes

I'm curious. :slightly_smiling_face:
You mean by importing the files in personal media after downloading?

2 Likes

Just create a custom rename profile in Anystream to point to Channels DVR import directory. That is what I did.

3 Likes

Ah yes, that's right! Thanks for the clarification.
It is indeed via imports. Good solution. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Another tool I added to my arsenal since My Channels DVR is on windows is EPG123 ... I use it to host my own Pluto /Stirr server ... It downloads the m3u and xmltv directly from Pluto/stirr ... no need to run docker,.. and serves up the M3U and XMLTV.

2 Likes

I'm on Windows too and you got me very intrigued. I need to educate myself on EPG123.

If you configure AnyStream with the correct download folder information, and the correct file naming format, anything you tell AnyStream to download will automatically show up in Channels ready to be watched. Just pick a show and hit DOWNLOAD. No manual intervention is ever needed after the initial setup.

I can provide exact setup information if anyone needs help.

1 Like