What Will Channels Become After TVE?

I was thinking more in terms of just something simple, like a DVR that worked.

Look, I don't know what business you're in, but if I told my customers they would have to do their own design work, they would have fired me 2 decades ago.

1 Like

That is how I have mine setup. In accessibility on the device I turn Captions always on.

1 Like

Channels has always been more a fundamentalist app so...it's parcel of the game of using this app. If you want convenience, just use the TV Provider's DVR...

1 Like

I don't recall seeing that in the advertising, but okay.

1 Like

When I ask Channels to record a program, it does. I can even use myriad rules to select things I didn't know would air, but they were recorded. So, how does Channels not act act as a DVR that works?

What "design" work are you asking for?

2 Likes

It depends but if you have a couple of USB-HDMI capture cards, you can easily use that with NextPVR as a backend

I've seen a few threads over on the NextPVR forum with users having success with those $3-$5 ones on ebay/Amazon.

I was hoping that when the software has a recording conflict due to limited tuners, that it might be able to resolve it, or at the very least, prompt the user 'immediately' that there is a problem that needs to be resolved.

1 Like

Post a link if you would please.

1 Like

This one is 14 bucks but I've seen some users have success with that

Here's the same device for cheaper

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I thought you were referring to a network HDMI encoder for $3.

1 Like

Edited above to include an ebay link for cheaper.

2 Likes

You also have to get the Streaming Boxes .. Network Switches or great WIFI. Yes I use NEXTPVR for it allows me to do my own bat files and runs them. Believe me I have invested more than I should have to record Shows I can easily download.

1 Like

Yeah...an onn device runs you 20 bucks each so that's not bad. If you want ethernet, then you could get a Chromecast or FireTV 4k for double that

2 Likes

This is the mess I have right now lol ....

3 Likes

For a while there, I had a network cable plugged into a PC, but clearly we've gone way beyond that kind of simplicity as a user.

+1

1 Like

Commitment, man. And I thought using my oldass Mac with CC4C with the lid closed and on power was top class :rofl::sweat_smile:

1 Like

You're right. I understand that many users came to Channels because of their TVE integration. The problem with it however is two-fold: not all providers support TVE the same, and not all networks support TVE in the same manner.

This dichotomy has led to a lopsided Venn diagram that is ever-shifting. As I have been a Channels user before TVE was offered, I was unaware that they marketed its support on their website, without disclosing its beta status. For the users that only purchased a DVR subscription because of the TVE support, I'm sorry you find yourselves in this untenable situation. For those whining about the state of things but who have been from the beginning, admit to your false surprise.

If anyone has spent more than 5 minutes reading the forums, they would realize how fragile the TVE system within Channels is.

However, I doubt anyone looking to Channels would consider it a "turnkey" solution as you state, since it requires:

• a network tuner
  • an always-on computer
  • dedicated DVR software

That is anything but turnkey!

1 Like

Ya, i'm hoping for a lot more features incoming for virtual custom channels.

4 Likes

I'll start by saying I agree, it was pretty obvious from the start that TVE was fickle and it's just so happened that it's worked great for us for years now.

So here I am, years later, having saved untold hundreds of dollars compared to having traditional cable or other services. Channels DVR provided an all-in-one solution that we wanted. Then, the handful of channels we care about from Philo go away and we either go back to the two app system (Channels non-DVR and Philo) or just find another solution.

I think you're making a bad faith argument about the "turnkey" part though. You realize there's a massive difference between installing a program on a computer and hooking up an HDHomeRun in comparison to these alternatives involving docker and android tv devices, etc. Obviously in the context of being on a forum for a DVR server the term "turnkey" means something different than you would use it elsewhere.

There ya go, no ill will and there's nothing for me to take personally, I'll just have to use another service. We've liked this product and I'll definitely follow along to see if any solutions come along that are as fast/easy as TVE was for us and happily come back. Just don't take this stuff so personally, we're customers here trying to make this product work for us so complaints happen. There's no need to get so defensive.

2 Likes