What's the diff?

So I'm trying out Channels DVR and wondering what additional benefits there are over this service and my HDHomeRun Scribe Quatro which has its own channel guide and DVR capabilities. Are there any advantages to combining the two if that is even possible?

Channels has a lot more features like commercial skip, TVE channels, number pad but it doesn't work with the scribe unless you use your own storage

There is a long list of benefits of channels over the HDHR DVR. In fairness, I've never used the HDHR DVR, but have seen some demos. If you are solely interested in watching linear programming from an antenna, then I suppose the HDHR solution may be OK. For family, Channels DVR has become the "integrator" for our TVs. We supplement our OTA local programming with a subscription to Philo, and the free programming from Pluto. Channels DVR pulls this together into a single Guide and DVR library. We've also imported some ripped DVDs of kids movies, and will soon by using PlayOn to pull in some movies from Disney+, Netflix, etc.. This will greatly simplify the experience for our family, and especially the kids. As someone else mentioned, Channels DVR also provides ways to do deep integration with the remote which enhances the experience further. After many years of using a Tivo, which at the time was the undisputed leader in the DVR experience, I can say that Channels has picked up that torch and is carrying it strongly. I honestly thing that if I tried to take away Channels DVR's commercial skip my family would revolt. And I know that no matter what linear TV programming I bring into the house, be it streaming live TV, OTA, etc.., the user interface for the family won't be changing, and I won't lose my library. I now have 30TB of recorded shows and movies.

My setup is a 2012 Mac Mini running Channels DVR (no monitor, keyboard, or moue), 3 x 10TB USB3 drives, 2 x HDHR Quatros (8 tuners), Apple TV 4Ks and Android TVs around the house, and iOS devices.

One other really cool feature that I just thought about is that you can browse the guide on your iOS device to pick a show, and then select it and direct it to play on another Channels device like an Apple TV... so you can be browsing content without disrupting what is on the TV at all.

Its a great platform and the developers are very engaged and constantly improving and updating it.

1 Like