Which mini PC is "better"?

Setting up a another CDVR server for a friend to try out, and have 2 mini PC's available to use.
Wanting peoples opinion on what is the "better" of the 2.
The cpus are basicly the same when i look at cpu compare sites.
Both have 32GB ram and m.2 ssd.

Lenovo ThinkCenter m910q
i5-7500T (4core/4thread) 2.7 - 3.3ghz
Intel® HD Graphics 630

Intel NUC7i7BNH
i7-7567U (2core/4thread) 3.5 - 4.0ghz
Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 650

The NUC's core count is lower, but has the same 4 thread count, and decent higher clock speeds.
Is higher clock speeds a big factor in performance?
It also seems to have slightly better GPU, but is that really a big factor?

Need fastest possible comskip, and support for multiple remote transcode streams.
(hence why not gonna use a Rpi)

Edit: Ended up using the Lenovo, as I already use it for hosting HomeBridge, Nextcloud, & WireGuard VPN. The NUC i like to float around as a "test" machine to try random setups or OS's before I deploy anything.
I am giving remote access to my CDVR for a few days, to a local-ish friend, and the Pi would not cut it. His family considering switching away from cable tv service, and wanted to give my kinda setup a try, but are not tech savy enough to set one up them selves.
Since migrating to the Lenovo mini pc, i recorded On Patrol Live last night, 3hr program, and com skip took 13min. That about 4min per 1hr. The Pi would take about 20min or so for a 1hr TVE program (i think, have not payed attention to it in some time).

1 Like

Just got my hands on a mini PC for free. HP EliteDesk Mini with 8th gen i5 I think. Have to boot it up to see the full specs. Would love to throw you a donation @speedingcheetah to help me with the Linux configuration.

Not sure what you mean by “linux configuration”. You mean setting that mini pc up same as mine with CDVR server? That is pretty easy as i just followed the steps on the Server install page for CDVR. And as for DietPi, that also a very easy OS to work with and has extensive documentation.

Other than that, my knowledge of linux in general is basic to semi-moderate depending on the distro. But would be willing to help advise if i can. Though, would be better if a more direct line of communication, say via Discord DM? If u are on Discord.

Edit: U sure that HP mini PC is not actually a Thin Client? Those also come in the same form factor but is a bit different than their normal mini PC lines.

I have discord. I would have DM you here but your profile is private. DM me?

Also, to not detail the thread. I am in a similar situation. I got 2 of these for free.

HP ProDesk 600 G4 Mini (8th gen i5-8500T)
HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Mini 35W (7th gen i5-7500t vPro)

And am not sure which unit to keep for myself.

2 Likes

Yea. Only difference in the cpu there, the 8th gen is 6core/6thread and slightly higher clocks.

I was looking at my local Microcenter, and they have OpenBox a Refurb Lenovo TC m720q with the i5-8500T cpu for $282. Also, i see a refurb HP ProDesk 600 G5 with a i5-9500T cpu for $369.
But, i don't got the $ to spend on that, and, it not really needed i guess. I would fell more comfortable with 6core, as the current 4 core does near max out at times, when certain things are happening on the device at the same time, is not often, but still. If i would put money into it, I would like to get current gen hardware, but, that is way to much $ right now.

Anyways, DM'd u.

I'm not sure how small you need it to be, but I grabbed one of these about 18 months ago and couldn't be happier. I did throw a couple upgrades at it that I had laying around, and some new memory.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Aspire-Desktop-11th-Gen-Intel-Core-i5-11400-6-Core-Processor-UHD-Graphics-730-8GB-DDR4-512GB-NVMe-M-2-SSD-Black-Windows-10-Home-XC-1660G-UW93/405376644