Why doesn't search include "EpisodeTitle" data?

Not sure if this should be in the requests section, but I figured I'd first ask the question. Speaking only of my own experience, search would be dramatically better if it included EpisodeTitle and not just Title. As example: I was looking for the new ESPN Bruce Lee movie called "Be Water". No search results. I had to figure out that the show is actually "30 for 30". Once I found that, the EpisodeTitle is in fact "Be Water". If that was included in search, I would have found it more easily. This is just a single example of searches that would have been much easier if EpisodeTitle was included.

I searched for the exact same thing today and found the same. +1 for including that in search if possible.

1 Like

I know the devs are focused on other things, but just curious if it is possible to modify search to include searching that field? I find myself having to use Plex for search largely due to Channels not searching episodetitle field. Thanks!!

The issue is that the search UI is geared forwards showing movies and shows, and does not understand episode results in search yet. You can use an advanced pass to search EpisodeTitle as a workaround, which we know is not ideal

1 Like

Could be worse. I set up this recording on a TiVo as well as Channels. Sure, TiVo does succeed in searching for the episode title "Be Water", but the TiVo schedule thinks it will air at noon on Saturday. I checked the ESPN website and confirmed Channels (Gracenote) is correct: 5 PM. This is typical of my experience with TiVo since it was purchased by Rovi and forced to use that EPG.

Agree, TiVo Guide data is a joke since RoVi took over TiVo.
TiVo used the same Gracenote EPG that SiliconDust and Channels DVR uses until RoVi bought them.
I still have a TiVo, but rarely use it because of that and other reasons.

The only positive thing for me and my TiVo is being able to set Manual recordings (a.k.a. digital vcr without the blinking clock).

1 Like

In TiVo's defense, it eventually corrected itself to 5 PM. Not something I feel I can count on every time though. Even worse, this makes it very difficult to plan a gathering to watch something live.

1 Like

How did this thread become about tivo? :joy: But seriously, hopefully the Devs can someday work on the search functionality. As much as the clients and server are critical, being able to find shows is also pretty important. I don't love having to use Plex or other services to be able to find a show I am looking for.