Will a partial recording re record?

I started recording Downton Abbey Returns late. I selected series pass(only one episode) Will it automatically re record so I can get the full episode. It shows queued.

If it's this one, then yes since it's a special.
A series pass on a special will record it every time it shows since it's not a series.

1 Like

Yes that’s it. So it will keep deleting and re recording?

If it’s in recordings now, it will probably record the 2x time but not delete 1st.

EDIT 8/20: In light of further checking, I do not believe this is correct...

Edit 8/20: This answer was originally (only) based on posted @chDVRuser observations. However, my setup has never allowed “Rerecord” nor any subsequent Recording of 2nd, 3rd, etc.,”duplicate” episodes unless:

CheckMark exists on “Advanced Pass”> “Re-record deleted episodes”
The corrupted/partial episode is deleted.

However, as I haven’t been doing any system testing until lately...except for new features on subsequent release versions and monitoring for any shown inconsistencies.

Since, I’ve never had an instance of “...@chDVR...observations”, but not being in a position to post my “experience” I until I double checked that my original setup was still operating as per my experience, maybe “Special” was now a new category I had never heard of: design/implementation could have been changed and since, I’m a DVR user only...I didn’t want to post my prior experience vs one of our current best expert posters, until I further analyzed.

I found that my original expectations were still operating as defined in subsequent posts. Hence, I then posted same. And as stated in one post: @tmm1 will “Correct me”.

It will keep recording every showing of it forever until you cancel the series pass on it.
Not sure what you mean by deleting it unless you setup some non-default rule to delete.

Never mind I saw this
Skipping job because program already started 1566243000-42 Downton Abbey Returns

So the guide data is wrong because it’s not a series?

Delete the first one and then it will record.

No. https://thebritishtvplace.com/2019/05/pbs-in-june-endeavour-jamestown-downton-abbey-returns/

If you create a ChannelsDVR Series Pass for a Series, it will only record each episode once.
If you create a ChannelsDVR Series Pass for a Special show, it will record that Special show everytime it airs because it's not an episodic series and to ChannelsDVR each airing looks like a different show.

1 Like

Per my understanding:

When Channels adds a “Series” ALL...the DVR then identfies the pass with a unique Series ID number and thus sets up future recordings based on that ID#.

When Channels adds a One-off (...or “Special”) the DVR still identifies the request with a unique Series ID number (could be the same) and then sets up a 1X recording per your initial request.

Channels skipped RS’ (the showing of today’s rebroadcast) because there is a already a database entry (Series ID/episode) for that episode, i.e., the “previously interrupted recording”. Until RS deletes that specific recording and makes sure the Pass setup shows (re-Record deleted).

Of course, there are further caveats for the truly adventurous:

Whenever one initially sets up a “Pass”... one could set-up to re-Record deleted also. However, for that Pass to work as originally designed: Delete and do not re-record...DO not set preset re-record as then ALL episodes will be subject to “re-Record”, including the ones you want to watch and delete...forever.

So...I DO have several Passes which are pre-set to re-record (if deleted, as I want to keep ALL episodes). Most of my Passes are not pre-set...typically major broadcasters weekly series. If recording is interrupted/corrupt I usually have to go to another source anyway.

Much less daily attendance required for me. Anyway, I’m probably not correct in nomenclature ...but the principle still applies (IMO).

BTW:

There is a simple trick around some of above but it resets a different database.

Not suggested...but if anyone really wants to know...and feels that they understand above, I’ll PM you.

Did your 2nd try on the show actually record today or not? Yes or No will suffice...

If not, at least on my system...that same show (with diff Series#) is listed in DA Live!. So you could set up a TOTALLY new 1x recording on that episode...without deleting the corrupt one until after you have a Clean recording.

You posted to me:

“Never mind” but you then go on to state the job was “skipped”. Hence, I expected: “you DID NOT have a 2nd try success.

But you haven’t posted again: so I don’t get it...

If you did have a “new recording” today...then the DVR design is not operating as I “expected” above. I realize the devs may/could have changed some DVR rules since the initially setting up of “Beta” (>3 years - ago). But, if so, I’d like to identify. I was on original Alpha team (~4 years ago...basic design). And nothing (this subject), I have seen in my current setup has changed since. I’m now just a “Regular - DVR User” with no special privileges ...nor quick access to devs.

I have also setup a test for ...chdDVR...’s observations, as they don’t match my expectations. But, that will take a bit longer time to identify and track.

Not scheduled to air again in a few days. Will let you know

1. Did the episode air today/yesterday?
  2. If yes, Did the DVR re-record the episode?

My expectations: if 1. Is “Yes” and 2. Is “Yes”. My above posting no longer applies and must be edited to correct.

Just trying to assist as my setup will not allow a rerecord until 1. Ensure that “a pass is still present” and click “Re-record deleted episodes” (if not checked marked already). 2. Then, delete the corrupted/partial recording.

Reason for asking is that a “True one-off” request will not create an entry in “Passes”. Follows slightly different internal process to record...and will be automatic sys delete...after recording date/time is past. But, this may have been changed since Alpha/Beta.

Doesn't air again till Saturday

So “NO” to 1.

Yes

1 Like

Just a post to say that I recently posted an Edit:8/20 to a prior post to reflect current status, as my initial answer was “incorrectly” posted due to my reliance...see the edit for full disclosure.

Now that we are tracking partial recordings better we are discussing ways we can improve scheduling. Re-recording partial recordings is one of the things that is high on that list.

5 Likes

I was just checking into this because I had an issue where my external usb drive disconnected from my Mac and I missed part of a recording and all of another. I was curious I’d it would try to re-record it.