With TVE seemingly going away, what are the options given my setup?

I've seen a lot of messages about workarounds, but I wasn't sure what would work given my setup.

Here's what I have: HD Homerun for OTA, Synology DS220+ running Channels, Multiple Apple TVs, Xfinity login (primary user is my business and it's address is recognized by Xfinity as its home location, but I use it for TVE at my house).

Obviously, we have lost the NBCs, Paramounts among others and we're about to lose Disney. Do I have options with my current setup?

I have a similar concern. The TVE integration is what made Channels DVR a great solution. I have (2) HDHRs that would still work (until ATSC 3.0 DRMs the content), but without the TVE integration I'm not sure I'll reup the annual subscription next year.

I have concerns with the current workarounds. For example, the ADBTuner solution and HDMI encoders require a hardware purchase and effort to make it all work. I'm not sure I want to go this route. Now if Channels DVR made the HDMI encoder solution work out of the box instead of a DIY, tinker, option, I may continue the service. I guess we'll see how the next 6 months plays out before my annual subscription renews.

1 Like

Yes, the key for me to the ADBTuner is the "A" is for android as I have all Apple TVs and and apple server. I agree that this is concerning but like you I am in the wait and see camp. I will milk what I have for as long as I can.

1 Like

I have all AppleTVs and a MacMini as a server too but set up ADBtuner for tinkering anyway, it’s been an absolute joy. That they are Android TV devices means they can be very inexpensive. Like $25 for a Google TV with Chromecast dongle. The setup works “behind the scenes” so you’re not actually interacting with Android, anyway.

How does this work in kid terms? I just want the interface to be the same with everything coming through the channels app on apple tv. I have older folks living with me and am trying to not have too much new technology that they would have to learn. I'm happy working to set it up as long as nothing really changes on their end and they can just turn it on and have it work.

1 Like

Yes, the end user experience to the viewer, with the TV remote, is the same. But behind the scenes, instead of that particular channel's signal coming in via TVE, over the internet, the Channels server software, in cooperation with ADBtuner running inside Docker, tunes into it on an app, on a Google TV streaming service, whose HDMI output is fed into another hardware device called an encoder. That produces a IPTV stream that Channels can present or record. It’s completely a DIY setup, the first of its kind I’ve ever taken on. Tinkering like that isn’t for everyone. But my point is, the end result looks and feels the same to the TV viewer. They don’t know where the channel is coming from, the just know it tunes in when they want it to.

ADBTUNER is ok but in no way is it a substitute for TVE ... it is great for a few Channels ... but that is about it. In my case I only use it for HBO and Showtime.... and it also gets to be expensive.

TVE is just ok. if a channel you like is there, great! go watch.
if the channel isn't there, ADBTUNER or one of the other docker options can help a lot.
I had fun seamlessly going from a local channel over to mlb baseball then over to something on FRNDLY TV and maybe something on Pluto.
I'm not into changing apps just to watch one ting.
I would pick what works for you and if you need help, we are usually here.

1 Like

So I just need another device such as a fire tv, etc? Preferably one without a ton of adware, etc, right?

Does that just need to be connected to a tv in the house and it can send it somehow to my synology loaded with channels? Sorry, this is new to me and I’m not overly technical, but I did manage to get my current setup working.

What do you mean “it gets expensive” - if you have xfinity service and can log in to apps like USA, etc already, is their added cost with this setup in addition to the channels dvr annual subscription?

2 Likes

In order to use ADBTUNER ...You would need to invest in an HDMI Capture device and have a FireTV or Android capture device connected to it. So If you get a 4 HDMI input Capture device you would need 4 Android streaming devices.,,, and possibly an additional network switch.... unless you have great Wifi.

1 Like

I spent about $150.00 on two hdmi encoders plus $20.00 for the ONN devices.
The system works great with YTTV. i've got some locals that i watch. I rarely have to go in and mess with settings.
do not use HULU live. it works but too much baby sitting.

Thanks

1 Like

I got my encoders on eBay for $50 each. Just two, but they’re working fine and have been unattended for many months now. ADBtuner is a very cool bit of code! I enjoyed the project of setting it up that first time, and learned a lot along the way.

Why would you need more than one capture device? FWIW, I have 4 or 5 fire tv 4k sticks just sitting around from when I migrated to Apple TV.

If you only want to record one channel and not view another ? then one is enough.

1 Like

TVE Alternatives

• ADB Tuner (already discussed in this thread)
  • Chrome Capture for Channels
  • Fubo Docker project
  • IPTV (illegal in most places, we don't discuss on here)
  • Radar/Sonar (We won't discuss on this forum)
    -*edit. I forgot ah4c

Unfortunately, as stations keep leaving CDVR, it is leaving us in a difficult situation. Like many others, I signed up for CDVR for TVE integration with OTA.

If TVE were to completely disappear today, I would still keep CDVR. It has become my preferred media server for my local content. Everything I need CDVR to do, I can do with my lifetime Plex pass. However, CDVR simply does it better. I am comfortable paying $8 per month for their software even if TVE were to cease to exist.

I wish more projects could be official instead of community projects. The concern is that the maintainers may lose interest in CDVR.

1 Like

You forgot to mention ah4c, which can handle deeplinks like ADBTuner, but more specifically can also control apps using remote control emulation. It can even handle hybrid scenarios like we have with DTVStream presently, where a combination of both is required.

And to your point about maintainers, using open source projects is the key there, as someone else can always pick up the torch and run with it. Personally, I think it's pretty fabulous that the CDVR devs have embraced (and started the development on in some cases) community projects, as I think there's always a place in an ecosystem like this for new ideas and new ways of approaching things.

3 Likes

I am 100% happy that CDVR has embraced community so much. It is a HUGE reason for success. I am pro open source. Just the issue is IF someone will pick it up.

But at the moment I feel good about CDVR still being around as my primary media app in another year. The community and devs both are very active. I like the direction the devs have been going.

Side note. @bnhf You are AWESOME and ty for all the communitu work you have contributed.

3 Likes

Channels is the best for those that want a smooth experience.
I've used Emby. The software is visually nice but the support doesn't seem as finely detailed as we have on channels.
The community here seems resourceful.
If one is willing to put in the time and effort, you can have a media solution that exceeds the functionality of even YTTV.
Pick what works best for the situation and enjoy the results.

Well...I just set up my HDMI encoder with ah4c so I'm set. I might get a cheap HDMI usb encoder to connect it with my linkpi to get another tuner in so I'll be set without TVE. The FAST, Eplus and HDHR channels still works so yeah

1 Like