Xfinity channels reassigned - What do I do to fix Channels?

Comcast Xfinity did a “channel neighborhood” update today, reassigning almost all cable channels. Now, Channels has all of the guide mapped to the wrong place.

Here is what I did to try to restore service:

1. rescanned to get the new channel assignments
  2. deleted the exiting channel listing (by clicking on the trash can)
  3. Searched for my guide data and then downloaded updated guide data

When that didn’t result in a fix, I then clicked the “pencil” icon and remapped each TV channel. This ended up with things like the “real” SyFy channel on 1411 but mapped back to the old 1208 channel. Still, the guide is recording ESPN (the “new” 1208) instead of the program I want on 1411. Looking at the guid grid, even with this remapping, the grid is blank or stuck on the old map.

How do I fix this? I booted up the HDHomeRun app and it has the new channel numbers and correct program information so the problem is not with the guide schedule (since HDHomeRun provides the guide data in the US).

Please help.

Oof, sorry for the mess.

I will check with our guide provider about this and see how quickly they’re able to react to things like this.

You can try two things beyond what you already did. First, if you uncheck the DVR box, wait a bit and recheck it, it should refresh the list of channels that are part of your guide selection. Otherwise they’re normally cached since we assume they won’t change.

Second, after you’ve made any changes via the pencil icon, you can click the circle refresh icon to re-download guide data based on your updated mappings. That should fix any scheduled recordings.

tmm1, I appreciate the quick response. I tried your suggestion - it didn’t work…and then it did. Thanks. The first time I tried it there was no joy but I went back and fixed a few more channel mappings, refreshed again and - ta-da it was working. Hopefully this fix will stick.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I confirmed that our provider is still showing SYFY as channel 1208. I have emailed them for more details.

It would be great to have this fixed. I had to manually remap all of my channels back when I switched to the 1000s for channels because I do love the organization of channels this way.

I’m not following. Are you saying comcast also changed your channel numbers? When did that happen?

For me it was when they added the channels in the 1000s as a second set. I liked the idea of having the channels grouped so I switched up to those but the guide didn’t line up. I just edited it because I thought it was just the fact that it was new and haven’t looked back at it but if I had to rediscover it would be tedious again lol.

I checked my Comcast lineup after @ericdavis100 made this post and my channels in the 1000 hadn’t changed.

I could still use some help with this problem. The channels mostly work now and I haven’t had any DVR misrecord. However, there are still problems

Example - trying to watch the World Series right now

• The “old” channel for FOX was 1011
  • New channel for FOX is 1059

If I look in “Sports” in the Guide, the World Series shows up as 1011 - of course since FOX is no longer on that channel, I cannot watch the game (the tuner actually tunes to 1011 which is just a message that this channel no longer works)

If I look in “Favorites” then 1059 shows up and I can watch the game (I have FOX tagged as a favorite)

If I look in “HD Channels” I do not see either 1059 or 1011 at all. Fortunately since I also have a HDHomeRun Connect, I can see 59.1 and can watch the game there.

Long and short - this mostly works but is a pain. When the in-laws visit, they will not be able to find the shows they want to see.

Can this be improved?

Hmm, on the channel listing on your HDHR, does 1011 still show up? Is it still labeled as FOX?

FYI, I reported this to our provider and they said they were working on a fix as well.

The channel lineup does still have 1011 - it shows as an SD channel called SLATE. The 1059 lists as HD channel WXIN HD (which is the local FOX channel)

So in the pencil editor, what does it show for 1011 and 1059?

Good catch - yes it does in the SD section. And it was still mapped to 1011 - since it had jumped from HD down to SD, I did not think to remap that one before.

I have now remapped the channel to something else and redownloaded the guide. Of course, that didn’t work - yet.

Last time it took re-downloading on a different day or something to get everything working right.

Looks like our provider has updated their database to match the new comcast channel numbers.

If you uncheck and recheck the DVR checkbox, does it pull in the new/fixed info?

Sounds like you are in the Indianapolis area. Me too :slight_smile:

tmm1, Thanks for all the help. The channels are much better with the fixed lineup from the guide. My big problems are now resolved. I waited a few days to post back to be sure.

With more research, I realize that Channels DVR cannot handle having both a CONNECT and PRIME tuners on the same system. I was still having problems with FOX on OTA 59.1 and cable 1059 and with even more research I see that I have the exact same problem with ABC and PBS which I receive OTA and on Cable. Since I am in a fringe area, I don’t like to rely on my OTA signals for DVR. My problem is described in more detail below but as it stands, I am beginning to think I may have to give up using my CONNECT tuner.

Problem detail
Here is my example for Fox. The cable channel 1059 shows up on “All Channels” but not on “HD Channels” if I have both 59.1 (CONNECT) and 1059 (PRIME) marked as favorites. If I “unfavorite” the 59.1 channel on the OTA tuner then the 1059 cable channel (which is also favorited) will show up in the “Favorites” list but still does not show up in the “HD Channels” list. If I completely block the OTA channel, only then will the cable channel show up in both the “HD Channels” and “Favorites”. Evidently since 59.1 comes “first” it is the one instance of that channel that is allowed if it is not completely blocked.

So, in summary, this looks to be a shortfall in Channels DVR. It is annoying but survivable. I am very happy to have the channel list updated from the Comcast channel shuffle, and very happy with your quick responses. Hopefully the PRIME + CONNECT situation can be addressed at some point.

What client are you seeing this behavior on? The DVR web ui, or Apple TV / iOS?

The problem shows up on the Apple TV. Now that I look closely at the DVR program, the web ui behaves quite correctly - showing me both 59.1 and 1059 in the HD Channels and in the Favorites (if I have both ticked). The channels are actually listed in a more logical way too - the way that Channels for Apple TV orders channels seems to be groups while the web ui is in number order.

My description referring to Channels DVR was not accurate - it is Channels for Apple TV that is giving me fits now. Now that I see that, I am also less concerned about the DVR function. I have given the prime tuner priority in the web ui settings so in most cases it should be using the cable channels to record. If it is doing what I want in the guide it is probably doing what I want in actual recording. Yeah!

Looks like I need to post my Apple TV problem in a different forum.

Hi My CNN (Xfinity- Channel 1111) is showing as Weather Channel. It will be great if it can be fixed.