Xfinity no longer issuing cable cards in Houston

I just got back from the xfinity store in Houston and was told they stopped issuing cable cards on the 1st and next month they will no longer be supported. Anyone have any insight on what’s going on?

I’m pretty sure they’re legally obligated to issue CableCARDs if you’re replacing equipment you would be renting from them. The only time they don’t have to is if you don’t have a digital package with them.

1 Like

This is illegal. Escalate until you find someone who doesn’t want to get sued.

Cable cards are most commonly used with TiVOs, so saying you have one of those can help when the cable company representative is confused or uncooperative.

The employees where actually very helpful, they scanned 50+ cable cards and the system would not let them assign it to my account or any other account. I actually just picked up a card a few days prior at the same location so I asked to speak with a manager who tells me tech support came in on the 1st and disabled all the cable cards in stock. I tried several other stores in Houston and it was the same story, so I called Comcast and was told by the cable card department that they are transitioning to pro only install for cable cards in my area and it would cost $70. I was advised a store in Pearland TX can still issue cable cards so I stopped by and picked on up with no issues.

1 Like

And if you don’t get anywhere with the cableco after escalating like @sloan1919 mentioned, then open a complaint with the FCC as per (https://www.fcc.gov/media/cablecard-know-your-rights). Someone at the cableco must respond formally to the FCC regarding the complaint; so it may get to “the right people” that would be able to get their reps appropriately trained/informed.