Xfinity now requiring a code to verify identity

Been using Channels for couple of years. Love it. However, today, when I try to pull up a channel streaming from Xfinity using TV Everywhere, it is failing to authenticate because I haven't entered the code to verify my identity. It has never done this before. I get the code, but can't find a place to enter it before it times out.

Mark

Did you setup the ACCT as a viewer only ?

I used the account owner email when I sent it up. Not sure where you set viewer only.

The owner should create an ACCT with viewer only authority.

How do I do that?

having this issue just now. recording pass just tried to start and it is getting
2022/07/28 21:02:35.706909 [ERR] Failed to start stream on channel 6072 via TVE-Comcast_SSO: TVE: Cable provider authentication failed
2022/07/28 21:02:35.707080 [DVR] Error running job 1659059940-26 The Incredible Dr. Pol: could not start stream on channels=[6072]: TVE: Cable provider authentication failed

and my phone is getting a text code via txt message sent to it every few secs.

help?

Xinfity account it viewer only non bill access

Found issue.

Xfinty is auto enabling 2 Factor Authentication to ON for any account, with no notice.

I noticed it in the account settings.

Turned it off, it triggered a text to my phone saying it is off, and moment later, Channels autehreized and started recording.

Devs, I really hope that you have some way to update the server so that it can support 2FA with Xfinity...as it seems the day may be coming when they require it with no option to disable it.

To be fair the developers recommend setting up a separate “viewer only or sub-account” for xfinity to use TVEverywhere. Then you can choose whether you want 2-factor auth on the owner login with all of your sensitive info.

Thanks for replies. I did go in and check my account and discovered that 2 factor had been enabled. I did not do it, so assumed Xfinity was taking liberty to do it.

1 Like

As stated already, account already IS viewer only sub account. has been for years, and has never had 2FA enabled. I never even log into the account through Xfinity portal or use the Comcast provided email. it is used only for Channels DVR TVE.

The point is, it may soon matter not it being a sub account, Xfinity may REQUIRE 2FA regardless.
Which, i can't really blame them, 2FA is a good thing.
These days, one should have 2FA as bare minimum for security.

The devs need to support 2FA, somehow, other wise, TVE via Xfinity will no longer be compatible.
Philo already has form of 2FA, where u have to click a link in an email in order for Channels to authorize (when u first add it in the server).
Surely they can figure out something for other forms of 2fa. If the login page that loads when their scripts try to authorize the TVE, perhaps they can hold and request user input, user enter in the txt code, and it passes it to the script to authorize. something like that. idk

Bummer. Not sure how we can deal with this. Are you going to run to your dvr to enter a 2FA code every time a recording is about to start?

1 Like

I would assume that it authorizes the login for a period of time...like with cookies.
Or there may be a way to check the option, Remember this Device, as it does when i log into the Xfinity account or network providers site.

That would suck if every authorization would require a 2FA each time it tries to login to a network stream. Hope that is not the case.

On the Xfinity FAQ page for Two Step Verification, in the bottom it says:

What if I change or remove the phone number or email address?
Removing your email address or mobile phone number will automatically turn off Two-Step Verification. You can change your email address or mobile phone number while keeping Two-Step Verification on but until verification of the new email or phone number is complete, the previous email or phone number will remain in use.

I went ahead and removed my mobile number, it was a few screens deep to find the option too.
Hopefully, that will prevent 2FA from auto enabling.
Did not think removing email address option is good idea....

2 Likes

Same thing is happening to me, getting texts constantly with 2FA codes every time I try to watch TV through Xfinity TVE. 2FA is not even enabled in the view-only Channels account... Did you end up removing 2FA from the main account?

Assuming you are asking me.

the main owner account, does not have 2FA, far as i know.

1 Like

Mine does, but Channels view-only account doesn’t have the option to enable/disable 2FA. So is it working again for you?

Yes still working.
The account user role is "member"
It has settings to disable 2fa right under the users page.
That was the lowest most restricted account level at the time of creation several years ago.
iirc, there was only "member" and "owner".
If there are new lower levels, then perhaps those are restricted to enforce 2fa.
Try logging in as higher account level, and manage the lower account user from there.

Kept getting auth texts (even with 2FA turned off) until I created a new view-only account with no email or phone number associated to it. I then added the new TVE account to Channels and it looks like I'm back to normal. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

How can it not have an email? Mine shows it would default to the Comcast provided email if i remove the other email inputted (listed as Primary...is my gmail address) I have never used the Comcast email and it says it has not been used for long time, so messages may have been deleted. So they deactivated it. If i send an email to that address, it bounces back.

I think the type of secondary user you're using was created before the viewer only user they now use.
Viewer only means it cannot change anything with your account.
My viewer only account only has a comcast.net email account.
To get email or phone recovery options added you have to explicitley add them to the viewer only account.
If you don't have any recovery email or phone number on it, occasionally when logging in you get held hostage being asked to add them, see Provider - Xfinity - #736 by chDVRuser