(Xfinity) TVE not working - Cable Provider auth failed / password reset

The context cancelled issue is fixed in 2021.04.08.1642

Follow the same steps as before

4 Likes

Success! Thank you for working through all the intricacies to get this running again. I see TVE integration as a big benefit and one of the reasons I stick with this platform.

1 Like

Thanks! As the chrome install ages, will we be able to repeat this process to update on our own?

Updated to 2021.04.08.1719 and followed the instructions.
I've now lost DIY channel 6108 and can't get it back.
Other than my local PBS and some free channels, that's the only cable channel I record with TVE.

I tried rescanning that channel multiple times and then rescanned all channels.
Still getting a 403 forbidden error on DIY channel 6108.
I can login and watch https://watch.diynetwork.com/watch/diy with my Xfinity credentials no problem.

Send me some diagnostics and I will look.

Logs have been submitted as e8232d1b-bd22-45a2-b0ec-a5f7daf01664

Try the new prerelease and resubmit if not working.

2021.04.08.2119 didn't fix it. Still same 403 error.
Logs have been submitted as 18ac20bd-7b0c-42ab-81d5-2d1d5e7f666b

Also just tried 2021.04.09.2035.
Still getting a 403 forbidden error.
Logs have been submitted as d9121a16-af2c-42e4-8db7-01b265af99f1 .

Do you need me to email support?

I can't make sense of what's going on. Others have reported success when totally removing/readding source. I don't see why that would make a difference, but its the only thing left I can think of to try.

Will give it a shot. Worse that can happen is another password reset.

:+1:
Not sure which action fixed it, but here's what I did.

deleted the Xfinity TVE source
shut down the Synology Channels DVR pkg
started the Synology Channels DVR pkg
added Xfinity TVE back

All my channels are back and DIY is working again.
No Xfinity password reset (yet) :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It really seems like Xfinity is becoming sensitive to authentications or whatever method Channels DVR uses. I like to think that a change in the authentication workflow to only authenticate specific channels would be super helpful. I only need the NBC SN local regional sports network channels from Xfinity. I’m holding off on using Comcast Xfinity TVE credentials and will keep watching this thread for better news.

Far as i see, the server only scans and auths all channels when you first add it as a TVE source, it kinda has to...or if you use the re-scan feature.

When u view a live channel, if the auth cookie is expired, it only re-auths that channel, not all of them.

All it is doing is loading the same webpage that you would load on your computer if you went to that tve networks site, inputing the same data you would type in, and clicking the submit button, or whatever sends the info.

The issue, may or may not be with how the server's automated process does this.
It does seem to have an effect what version of Chrome is being used though.

Other factors may play into the issue, as the email from Comcast indicates, whatever and how ever they run their "routine security scans" on your Xfinity accounts, may also be triggering things. Like they detect routine usage from an IP outside of the customers assigned service address, and especially not from their own isp network.

However, users here that are using Channels at home, on their home address Comcast provided internet, have had the same issue, sometimes at the same exact time, as those users that use a sub account from a family member at their home not on location of the service address.

So far, though, when it happens again, hopefully, updating Chrome in Channels will fix it again.

1 Like

This seems to have worked for me, it's now scanning through the channels instead of giving an auth error. FWIW I used the curl method (after updating to version v2021.04.09.2035).

running this on my Mac mini. Stopped working again. I think I’m done at this point. I run latest betas so always have latest of server. Just don’t want to have to deal with it not working every 3 weeks.

1 Like

Channels is the only option for TVE, DVR, etc all in one platform. I'm sorry you're having issues but it's $8. So you can either deal with some issues, perhaps every 3 weeks, for $8, or not have the benefits Channels provides for $0. For me $8 is nothing. Perhaps you should cancel then, if the $8 is breaking your pocket.

Whoa, what’s with the extreme reaction? Channels is far more than TVE, so not sure why you’re jumping to conclusions. Don’t forget, TVE is still considered a beta feature.

I worked at comcast for a few years. I was on the other end of the phone getting my ass tore out for a 24hr service outage to apply their less than $1 credit. The "I'm gonna cancel" bit always strikes a nerve deep in the tiny heart of my cold soul. It's quite comical actually. You're not gonna cancel, lol, cause deep down, I know you don't care about that $8 either. Just wanted to play that card lol

I’m still not clear why you think I would cancel over this? I’ve used Channels long before TVE was an option.