YouTube TV: Cable provider authentication failed

Does this solution work now across the board or am I just lucky??

SUCCESS I used my gmail E-mail instead of Username and it verified, took 3-5 minutes but did it.
I just signed up for the 3 week free trial.
I tried adding source with my actual Username and got the failure.
Tried with my email and it worked !!!
I am on latest stable release Version 2023.08.07.2138
I did not set up Family Sharing or 2FA.
EDIT: BTW when using the YTTV app there are 4 pre-selected Multi-screens which work in the YTTV app.

Unfortunately, still not working for me. Same "Cable provider authentication failed" message as before. I am on version 2023.08.09.2030 running on a Synology NAS.

Logs have been submitted as ea2c0b7f-beb4-4312-9d2e-425e55614c81

I recently experienced the same issue that many other users have with YTTV and that the " Cable provider authentication failed" when trying to add source YouTube TV. I had successfully installed YouTube TV a few months ago. I deleted it from "Sources" and tried to reinstall it and got the infamous "Cable provider authentication failed" notice. I looked thru many articles and have not seen a clear resolution to this issue. I used different browsers. I am very disappointed with this . I really like the Channels DVR but if I can't get the channels I want on it, no reason in continuing to use it. If anyone has seen a "clear" resolution, please let me know.

Have you tried an authenticator to approve login as it scans?
You approve it on the first scan then rescan.
I've been using the independently created solution for Channels to get those wanted stations available.
The process has become quite challenging.

I am also still getting this error. I too setup YouTube TV a few months ago with no issue on my Synology NAS. I suspended YTTV service until football season started back up and now no matter what I do I get that "Cable provider authentication failed" error message. Tried multiple Gmail accounts, no MFA at all and can login fine on all sources including NBC. Looks like something with the Synology NAS Chrome version and from what I have read may not be resolvable.

Channels Version: 2023.08.15.0451
Logs have been submitted as dc57bcb0-b035-4ff2-a8e2-0052b13d759e

1 Like

We haven't found a workable solution to the "browser or app may not be secure" error as of yet. We'll continue to investigate but it isn't easy to fix.

Try adding Channels DVR TVE to a docker container on the Synology just to see if it will authenticate.
No need to migrate anything to it, just test it by adding Youtube as a Provider.

If it works, you can replace the Channels DVR Synology package with the Channels DVR TVE docker container and keep the same port#, settings and recordings without having to migrate anything. I did this on my Synology.

1 Like

I am also experiencing the same cable provider authentication failure, browser or app may not be secure. I've had the Gmail app, youtube tv app, and authenticator apps open while trying to scan, and Im not even being prompted to approve a login, so that's not going to work. I will submit logs as well but I don't imagine you'll see anything different.

Same problem here - YTTV worked fine for the past year - PI4 based and then about a week ago, I started seeing authentication failures - I removed and tried to re-add with the same errors everyone else is reporting here..

Boo hoo... I hope someone can get this to work.. or the channels developers find a work-around.

If you're waiting for someone else to submit diagnostics it might be awhile.
You could submit yours while you're waiting :smile:

Chrome Version 97 here and I finally got the dreaded "browser or app may not be secure" message. 2FA disabled.

I submitted a Diag - and a follow up support email - the response was they changed what devices are supported and there isn't much the channels folks can do.

I have been evaluating Sling and Hulu Live..

1 Like

Who, YTTV or Channels DVR?

I am sorry I wasn't clearer - Channel's support said it's a YTTV change..

Which devices are now supported using YTTV credentials? It’s dead in the water on Fire TV Cube and iPhone.

Didn't know Channels DVR supported a DVR install on those devices?

What does that have to do with TVE Authentication ?

3 Likes

Channels DVR server is the only thing that can authenticate TVE YTTV the ones you mention are Clients.

Originally it was everything but an Nvidia Shield (for YTTV) and ARM based NAS's (any Provider) that would work with TVE.

"ARM based NAS devices are not supported."

Since then users have reported using a Nvidia Shield as a server for YTTV and it working.
Now supposedly the RPi doesn't work for YTTV.

And that’s where I am with my RPi4. Dead in the water.

1 Like