YouTube TV: Cable provider authentication failed

I just signed up for YouTube TV and had zero issues adding it as a source. I have the server installed on a Mac Mini 2 and set it up on my iPhone. I have 2FA turned on and when I plugged in my credentials the first time it failed. I did it again and opened the YouTube app on my iPhone to authenticate the sign in as soon as I put my credentials into Channels again. It allowed me to approve the sign in within the YouTube app and started scanning my channels.

I hope this helps!

Great that it works on the Mac. I think it is fine on a Windows install as well. Appears issues we are seeing are specifically related to using the native app (non-docker) on a Raspberry Pi or Synology NAS. Even that is pretty random it seems as others reported no issues at all. I know a few with the issue have submitted logs and emails to support but looks like it was YTTV that changed the type of browser that can be used to authenticate to their service now. Those lucky enough to have set it up a few months ago are probably still okay until they attempt to reauthenticate or like I did, pause YTTV for a couple months over the summer then restart the service when football season kicked in.

It seems to be an issue with some linux-based installations, like RPi or Synology. I started having the same issues on my server running Arch Linux. I could authorize TVE channels manually using Chrome, but it would not work through Channels. I switched to the docker version of Channels, which fixed the issues. The docker version is also running on linux though (Alpine Linux), so why does that work and others don't?

Maybe the version of headless chrome being used. Was in my case with the Synology package install using an older version (v97) vs. running it in a docker container (v109). Constant issues authing Discovery Network channels until I migrated to the docker container.

I currently have a RbPI with the DVR installed, I can’t get YTTV to work. How can I change my Pi from the image install to a docker install? I’m using an external drive attached to it as well.

My Synology installation of Channels with YoutubeTV TVE credentials has been uneventful and flawless. That is with a DS220+ with DSM 7.2-64561. No VPN. No special chrome install. Not using docker (for ChannelsDVR). 2FA is off. Spectrum as internet provider. Of course dynamic IP, though I have manually assigned the Spectrum DNS server addresses for good measure. Using the Synology firewall using basic recommended settings found at Synology: How to Correctly Set Up Firewall on DSM 7 – Marius Hosting. I went in to moving from Spectrum Cable to Philo to YoutubeTV expecting a nightmare. But it has been great for several months with Youtube.

2 Likes

Add me to the list of not working YoutubeTV on Mac Apple Silicon M2
I got screen displayed that google wants to confirm I am logged in on this device even when I confirmed in another browser that yes this is trusted device.

download the latest pre-release and see if the attempted fix for this issue works.

No, it still not work

I have the account tied to an authorization app and it didn't work.
I entered the generated number and pressed enter. I was then prompted with the usual blocked by google page with the captcha.

I got the same authorization screen as before wanting me to use passkey (WTF) or trying to another method. That's why I think convenience >> security. good that I took trial instead of paying, I see it's not worth the effort. I can record content from channel page but it is not as convenient and difficult to automate.

I moved a majority of stuff watched off TVE. Hope the problem can be eventually solved.

I've been having the YTTV authentication problem too on my Synology Channels app. I decided to try installing Tiny10, a light version of Windows 10 via the Synology VMM. I then installed the Windows version of ChannelsDVR into the VMM and I was ABLE to get YTTV authentication to go through. However, my Synology NAS isn't a business-level version, so Tiny10 ran very slowly and is simply not feasible, so in order to get the successful authentication to transfer to my Synology ChannelsDVR app, I deleted and reinstalled the DVR app and restored using the Tiny10 ChannelsDVR backup data. I am now able to see many of the YTTV channels, however, on some of them I do get the blocked message on my clients. My situation and efforts might provide some clues to the Channels developers as to what the authentication issues are.

Synology NAS, new installation towards the end of August. I set it up previously back in March and had to blow it all away to do replication corruption and lost everything. I haven't been able to get YTTV working with the new install. I receive the secure app error. I've tried having my phone unlocked with gmail or another google app open to receive the notifications, but that has not worked- it did back in March/April, but not this time. I also have Spectrum as a TVE provider added and that went on just fine. But YTTV is a no go. I have submitted logs, 0622f43a-081c-421f-9cb3-fb324115d846

I'm probably going to get rid of YTTV due to lack of YTTV support.
Fubo is much easier.

1 Like

eric mentioned in another post he wanted users having the issue on an Intel based x86-64 platform to try something, searching for the post...
Here it is

Reply to eric in that Topic if any questions, or if you want to give it a try

just downloaded the latest pre release 2024.03.13.1828 on qnap
not seeing New TV Everywhere Embedded Chrome Launcher
and not seeing a place to run a command.
I would like to be able to use YTTV but i get the authentication error

I was something interesting on my end.
I created another email on gmail and when i first tried to log in on Channels through TVE, I got prompt for a code that i don't have.
kind of a bummer.
Moved over to Fubo due to lack of TVE support on Synology.

Ok, i am on qnap so similar. It seems that the workaround on qnap or synology would be to run channels dvr on Docker. I have put a little bit of effort into it but not finding any really good information on the proper parameters and setting for running it on docker....

I've got Philo and it works on TVE.
I'm over on Fubo at present. So far so good.
I'm keeping my YTTV stuff set up on my system just for occasional testing etc.
I wish they had a combo package of Fubo plus YTTV. You can have the best of both worlds.