YouTube TV connection started timing out today

I am using the Chromium browser already. Do I need to reinstall it?

Okay I installed (ran) it anyway. It installed the "xvfb" package. Now what?

My Google account sent me warning that there was a suspicious login attempted at the time I first tried to use Channel DVR today. I have since logged on to my Google account using my Ubuntu server using the newly updated version of Chromium browser to make sure it recognizes my IP number.

I guess I should mention that I cut the cord with FIOS TV earlier this week and upgraded my internet speed at the same time. I had been running both my new server and FIOS TV at the same time to make sure everything worked right before I disconnected my FIOS TV service. When I got done my Frontier showed that I am on a new IP number now. But that happen several days ago and it has been working this whole time. It only started timing out today. It worked fine at 3:00am last night.

Dave

I restarted (rebooted) my server and retried opening some of the YouTube TV channels in Channels DVR on my Apple TV and still no luck. It still times out. I resubmitted my log files for you to check.

3e4ca01b-5008-4b5f-a779-300abf02a35f

Dave

So no help on this problem?

The log file shows that I watched a YouTube TV channel at 03:06:14am and then turned everything off at 03:16:17am and went to bed.

Then it fetched 2 weeks of new channel guide information from Locast and YouTube from 9:52 am to 9:55am

2020/08/29 09:52:00.010257 [DVR] Fetching guide data
2020/08/29 09:54:49.903167 [DVR] Fetching guide data

Then backup up the database at 12:08:53pm

2020/08/29 12:08:53.708430 [SYS] Created database snapshot

Then at 14:38:25pm when I got home and tried to watch a YouTube TV channel it failed and timed out.

2020/08/29 14:38:52.180881 [ERR] Could not start stream for TVE-YouTubeTV: TVE: chrome auth_timed_out

I got an email from Google saying that at 2:38pm I had a suspicious sign-in attempt prevented from an unknown device Browser: Chrome 74.0. So, could something have happened and it triggered Google to demand 2 step verification when logging in?

So what happened after fetching data and backing up the database that caused the problem?????

Dave

Nothing happened apart from what appears in your logs. YTTV seems to have trigger something on their end. The only time I've seen this before is when users use a VPN and their IP doesn't look like it's coming from their home anymore.

Well, what is your suggestion for solving the problem? You guys are sometimes short on advice!

I don't have a VPN and like I said earlier my IP changed last Wednesday but everything kept working until Saturday afternoon. Any ideas from the folks that have been dealing with these problems for years now??? I'm just a newbie and have only been dealing with this for a month.

I'm thinking I have go to Google and create another new username and password and make it a family member, then delete the YouTube TV from Channels DVR on my server and reinstall them using the new username and password. I had to do that to get YouTube TV to work on Channels in the first place. I think Google marked the username I use now to require 2 step verification. Am I on the right track here????? A little hint would be helpful.

Dave

Honestly I'm not really sure what's going on, so your guess is as good as mine. Something is being flagged on the google account.

Have you tried going to nbc.com/live and logging in with your YTTV via the chromium on the linux box?

Unless you added 2FA to the new account it wouldn't have gotten enabled.

I did that right now... and guess what? Google required me to use 2 step verification to logon by sending a text to cell phone. So something DID trigger Google to add 2 step verification to my user account. So, any suggestions? Channels has been in business for how many years? They had to have had experience dealing with these issues before. I am just asking for hints on what may have worked for someone else before.

Dave

Okay then it sounds like you should create a new family account without 2FA or any cellphone added to it.

Thank you!

Dave

Okay, I have created a new Google account and added it to my Family. Is there any way to edit the TVE source for YouTube TV so I can change the email address and password that TVE uses for the YouTube TV verification when it logs on to individual channels? Or do I have to delete YouTube TV as source and set it up all over again?

Dave

You have to delete and re-add

Damned YouTube TV did it to me again this evening. It added 2FA to the new account I added just a month ago. So now I have to it all over again. What gives with YouTubeTV / Google? Is anyone else having problems with their user accounts getting messed up without warning?

ab5237da-4a5c-42f5-ade8-46b6fa655353

Dave

Hmm no I’ve had YTTV added as a TVE source for many months now and haven’t had this issue. By chance do you travel a lot and use the account from a lot of different geographic locations? Sometimes that can cause security mechanisms to trip.

Nope, I haven’t used Channels away from home yet. Was planning to try it this weekend though. I have had my router lose connection with internet a couple times in the last week and had to be restarted, but that is the only problem I have had for the last month.

Dave

I wasn’t referring to Channels, since that connection will always come from your DVR at home. I was referring to your YouTube TV account. Are logins to your account happening from other locations?

Nope, only from three Apple TV’s in this house and my Ubuntu server running Channels DVR, all hard wired to the network. I use my iPad and iPhone once in a while, but while connected via WiFi to network in the house, but I haven’t logged onto YouTube TV from them in quite awhile. Plus I haven’t gone anywhere away from home for weeks now.

Dave

I tried everything I could in Google account management to clear the 2FA on the account I created a month ago without success. My Google account told me that it had seen a suspicious login attempt and ask me to confirm that it was really me, but that didn't clear the problem. Even though I could logon to both YouTubeTV and Google without a problem thru my web browser, ChannelsDVR could not and failed every time.

Well, I was able this time to just delete the Google account I created a month ago, wait a half hour or so to make sure Google had deleted it completely, and then go back in and create a new account with the same email address and password I used last time. I then added it my main Google account as a new Family member, just like I did a month ago. AND GUESS WHAT... that fixed my problem. My YouTubeTV channels work again and I didn't have to delete the YouTubeTV connections I had set up in ChannelsDVR with my email address and password like I did last time. That made it much simpler than what I did last time.

Dave

1 Like