YouTubeTV TVE failing: This browser or app may not be secure

It’s become a crapshoot.

Is that running in a container, or just on the RPi4?
What version of chrome is it running now?

its just on an rpi4

its just strange this pi has exact issues synology with 2 sources

I meant @Suds

Since google controls both chrome and yttv, there is all sorts of info they can get from a browser that we don't even know about. Lookup browser fingerprinting and device fingerprinting for a start.

i spun up a docker on a debian VM same issues.
yttv i get the login screen problem, so i think yttv is just dead.
directv auth401

Update:
now suddenly yttv is adding on both my new vm and the pi4 but not synology. Strange.
DTV still wont though

2 Likes

It’s running on a RPi4, no docker. Chrome version is 117.0.5938.62

1 Like

I decided to install Channels DVR on a Mac Mini (how I used to run it) and during the install it ask for my sources and I entered YouTube TV (after installing Chrome Browser in App Folder) and it failed with the same error. After the install (which actually never ended with blue bar far right) I decided to login to my Google Account in the Chrome Browser and try again. I connected to DVR (with Chome) which was running and added the YouTube TV Source and it worked. So to get working on the Mac I needed to login to the browser first. Is there any way to do this on a Synology NAS without a Linux Desktop? I do not really have a problem running Channels DVR on my Mac Mini since I really do not use it for anything else.

A Synology NAS is headless and is administered through its DSM (DiskStation Manager) web interface.
I don't know of any way to use the chromium installed by Channels DVR on it as a web browser.

Just to be clear I was not asking about using the Chrome Browser on Synology NAS. My question was how to simulate the problem with NOT being logged into the browser when trying to use Channels DVR on a machine where you do not have desktop access like in this case where YouTube TV login does not work because of it.

I thought you meant using the same browser that Channels DVR uses to login.
In that case on a Synology NAS, it's the headless chromium.

We could use any browser to login to our provider, or a network live website and open another tab in that browser to access our Channels DVR web UI. Is that what you mean?

Just got a note from the forum that maybe I should quit posting

You’ve posted more than 26% of the replies here, is there anyone else you would like to hear from?

I may not be saying this correctly. This thread is about "YouTube TV Failing: This browser or app may not be secure". My post are about this problem. I am unable to use YouTube TV Subscription on a Synology NAS and was giving feedback about how it works on a MAC Mini. Now I found another issue related to not being logged on with my userid on the MAC Mini. I changed the setup to run as a Service (provided by developer) which worked BUT I could not watch any of the channels. They give some error about no context. My thinking is I am no longer authorized. So, then I logged back into my userid and it is working again. Any suggestions about this?

What userid and where, the MAC Mini, Google, YTTV?
If you're talking about logging in to the Mac Mini, it's most likely related to permissions when running CDVR as a service instead of under your Mac Mini user account.

I installed Channels DVR on MAC Mini with Desktop USERID=DVR. And on that Desktop USERID I login to Google Chrome with the same user/password I use for YouTube TV. That then helps Channels DVR access YouTube TV. There is no reason for Channels DVR to run as a service if you have to still be logged into the Desktop?

Guess I just don't understand. You have to login to your chrome browser to use it???

Yes... I am trying to give the Developers some feedback on what I have to do to make YouTube TV work. Others are posting the same problem with YouTube TV and that it does not work for them either. This is the workaround I have found. However, I am now having a problem getting Local Channels. Those that have YouTube TV working do you get Local Channels. To be clear I am talking about CBS, NBC (i lost this on DTV), ABC, KTTV - ie. all channels < 6011.

1 Like

When looking at the Channel Lineup and the errors like YouTube TV does not provide this channel (something like that) the Local Channels are not even listed. As if you are not even trying to access them. Does this have something to do with it?

Local Networks via TV Everywhere

Try again over HTTPS here or here. Your browser failed to retrieve your geolocation: Only secure origins are allowed (see: Prefer Secure Origins For Powerful New Features).

I clicked it to check but it is just spinning so not sure.

Yes, you have to use a secure HTTPS connection to your DVR server and also allow the browser to use its location service

I searched and learned something (I don't use Google or Chrome).
You're really signing into your Google account, not signing into your chrome browser. I thought you meant your browser was user/password protected.
https://myaccount.google.com/intro/signing-in-to-google

Switching to Docker on Synology is successful for me. I added YTTV as a source on the first try.
First I made backup of the library database. Then stopped channels and created a Docker container. It was relatively easy, with some effort to make sure I was pointing to the right directory during setup. Everything I had added in the native Synology program was still there.

My Synology is running DSM 7.2, so it uses Container Manager. The configuration file doesn’t seem to exist as a separate entity in the native application so I created a new directory config to mount on channels-dvr.

services:
    channels-dvr:
        container_name: 'Channels-DVR'
        network_mode: host
        environment:
            - TZ=America/Detroit
        ports:
            - 8089:8089  
        devices:
            - /dev/dri:/dev/dri
        volumes:
            - /volume1/ChannelsDVR:/shares/dvr