YouTubeTV TVE failing: This browser or app may not be secure

Getting:

2023/09/19 12:20:40.783861 [ERR] Failed to start stream for ch6073: TVE: Blocked by Google: This browser or app may not be secure
2023/09/19 12:20:40.805534 [HLS] Couldn't generate stream playlist for ch6073-dANY-ip192.168.1.60: TVE: Blocked by Google: This browser or app may not be secure
2023/09/19 12:20:40.806085 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session ch6073-dANY-ip192.168.1.60

Submitted logs:

feb5baba-97c7-4e4a-87ea-3ce81fff855b

@eric - you were able to do something a week or so ago to address this. Is there something you can do before it becomes more widespread? I see at least two of us are reporting this as an issue now.

1 Like

Google controls the code in both Chrome and on their servers. They specifically try to detect and block automated Chrome usage, and there's very little we can do about it.

The reason it works randomly sometimes and not others is because there's an AI on the other side making the decisions of what to block and not.

1 Like

Ok, that helps us to understand the underlying problem. Is chrome the only option for authorizing TVE?

I’ve seen other threads talking about the demise of TVE. My thought was that this is premature. Am I wrong about that? I get you guys have been playing whack-a-mole for a couple of years now. Is it getting to be more than it’s worth? Or, is there a better/different approach?

1 Like

For the benefit of others, for now at least, YTT does still seem to work in MacOS. So, as a workaround I stood up a server there and am feeding the TVE channels to my main DVR (ubuntu) as custom channels. I am using the channel numbers from the m3u so that they feed easily into my channels collections.

I'm running CDVR server under Ubuntu Linux with the open-source Chromium browser installed, not Google Chrome. I set up YTTV-TVE back in the end of March. It authorized the first time I tried it and I have never had an authorization failure -- we watch/record from YTTV-TVE every day.

Is my lack of difficulties due to my use of Google-independent Chromium?
Is Chromium available for other OS's?

@tmm1

So, trying to understand better so that I can plan for a better experience...

Is this a chrome issue or a YouTube issue? Or, a combination?

I love channels and everything that you've done over the years, but I need to better understand what's the issue and what steps, if any, we as users or you as developers can take to better ensure that random losses of the lineup are as infrequent as possible.

The outages we're experiencing because of this problem in particular are affecting the WAF and that, plus overall cost, determine what direction I should take.

Thanks for any further insight you can provide.

here is your answer, this is always the answer. that label always negates that it will always work. try another provider?

I've been using channels DVR for 7 years. The original port to synology was done on my hardware. I've worked directly with @tmm1 in the development and testing of TVE. I am well aware of its "beta" status and I'm not asking about that.

2 Likes

YTTV can be hit or miss.
At this point, it is working for me. I noticed it takes time to validate and scan for channels but eventually it got setup.

I suspect the chrome in the docker cc4c may be quite outdated, causing new implementations to fail.

1 Like

I gave up on Youtube TV. I had the same problems. I switched to DirectTV stream and I get a few more channels, same price and works way better.

@dred

Thanks for the suggestion! I was feeling a bit tied to YTTV because of Sunday Ticket but I see DTV is offering a promotion for that. I’ll have to give this some thought.

1 Like

It's not the version of chrome - it appears to be related to the automation through puppeteer that Google identifies and then blocks as noted by @tmm1. I can log in no problem when I load a session myself but when it loads via the node.js I am unable to log in

If you are having badissues with YTTV looks like some created a docker for Fubo.
The offering is nice andTVE seems to work.
if you sign up you only need the Elite package.
I've moved a lot of these TVE problems over to ADB Tuner with my HDMI Netowkr encoders and ONN box.
I tried YTTV and Hulu live.
both services work but YTTV always plays great with video etc.

1 Like

I am getting this same error about missing package. i tried to set a recording with no luck.

so I tried to remove YTTV from sources and the re-add it again. but now I am getting an error "blocked by google. this browser may not be sure"

1 Like

Using the forum search you'll see it's a known issue.
https://community.getchannels.com/search?q=%22may%20not%20be%20secure%22%20order:latest

And here is why

1 Like

I had forgotten this seems to happen every year.
Here's a post from a year ago.

1 Like

My solution to the problem: Created new google account with 2FA turned off.
Invite new google account to existing account (one with Youtube TV subscription of course).
Open Google App not Chrome on tablet or phone and have it ready. Signed in with older account (Family Manager). Add your Youtube TV source in Channels. Use the New google account user id and password.
Check google app on your phone or tablet when a prompt "Are you trying to Login". Click on "Yes it's me"
This may happen serveral times, just keep an eye on the Google App for the prompt.

1 Like

I've used this solution and my hopes are that you got to the notifications fast enough.

1 Like