ZapperBox Announces Plans For Offline DRM

We're not discussing Channels.

1 Like

"As far buying a Zapper box, I'm increasingly thinking that might ultimately be the route I have to take once ATSC 1.0 is phased out. "
Note:
From what I've read,
All the promises from the ATSC 3.0 group RE: DRM, watching,recording, etc
are only valid until the sunset of ATSC 1.0

2 Likes

That's the way it reads, but I believe it's going to really, really hard for them to take away functionality that has been delivered and exists in commercial hardware/software. The horse is effectively out of the barn. We'll see, though.

Do you ever feel the same here, about the Channels DVR developers, when the TVE system falls apart due to some DRM that was implemented, but the developers refuse to implement a streamline solution right in the Channels DVR software?

2 Likes

The developer's job to understand and provide a solution?

If you think these two situations are even remotely comparable, sit this thread out because it's too big for you.

1 Like

Again, this is over your head. Only SD (and other manufacturers) have access to the specification so they should have understood that DRM was a part of it. Given the Locast fiasco it also wasn't all that hard to figure out why the broadcasters would want DRM.

It feels to me that SD cared more about rushing product to market to cash in and crossed their fingers about DRM.

Having gone through this same scenario once with them already, excuse me if I don't absolve them from all blame in not delivering what they sold us.

1 Like

(laughable)

I've been using SD's products for a couple decades with great success. Why are we so angry?

@RockandRoller70,

I did some investigation and you are right about their promises... to be able to handle anything thrown at them .... but best to be patient for a bit because ATSC 3.0 is still BETA ... Lets all try and get along. :handshake:

A Young Standard and a Commitment

The ATSC 3.0 standard is just getting started and we don't yet know how broadcasters will use all the newly available features. Features like overlays for TV shows or sporting events, interactivity, DRM, and even personalized ads are all possible with this new standard.

We are committed to supporting anything the ATSC 3.0 standard throws at us, and at the same time doing whatever is best for our customers. To this day, we still provide support and firmware updates for the very first HDHomeRun product sold back in 2007. We are just as committed to this new HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K as we are to every other device we've built.

ATSC 3.0 broadcast channels can be DRM protected and DRM playback is not yet supported. We plan to support DRM playback where possible however it is expected that some client platforms will not be able to support playback of DRM protected channels.

HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0 by Nick Kelsey, Silicondust USA Inc — Kickstarter

2 Likes

Their attitude and demeanor towards their customer base is one reason...

2 Likes

I don't get that from nearly 20 years of using their products, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Edit: removing comments since this has nothing to do with Channels

1 Like

So, how's it all working? Offline recording of DRM going as promised?