ZapperBox Announces Plans For Offline DRM

I wonder if the devs might consider adding full support for Zapperbox as an alternative,
just like the current HDHR support??
Hopefully HDHR boxes will also have these features soon.
Zapper is a little more expensive than the HDHR currently.
The real solution is for no DRM at all of course, I'm still hopeful.

Article says:

• in April 2024 an update will be pushed to customers that will let them DVR programs on ATSC 3.0 channels that are using DRM. Something the box currently can not do.
  • Not only that but now The Zapperbox will reportedly offer two new features this summer with the addition of offline DRM support. This will let you watch your antenna even if you are offline if the channel has DRM. Also the ability to stream your antenna to multiple rooms is also reportedly in the works. Both of these new features are expected to hit the Zapperbox by software update and new hardware in the summer of 2024.
1 Like

From the article headline:

ZapperBox Announces Plans...

Sounds good now, but the bad part about this entire dilemma is where will it be in a year? 3 years? 10 years? Nobody knows.

At least this company is delivering functionality, unlike Silicon Dust who continues to treat their customers like mushrooms (in the dark and fed manure.)

Grind, grind, grind that axe...

ZapperBox has "announced" a lot of things that never came to pass. Don't see them delivering much. I'm sure their "proprietary method" is fully A3SA approved and will not have ZB's keys nullified if it ever sees the light of day.

Do you own stock in SD or something?

Thisnis going about as well as their Cable Card solution.

1 Like

The ZapperBox is a completely different class of product as far as DRM handling is concerned. The ZapperBox and the way it handles decryption is most similar to the way key-handling was done for BluRay players: their keys were in the hardware itself, and additional data was occasionally downloaded to update the system keys in hardware.

For network devices like HDHR tuners—those without direct HDMI/video output—decryption is handled in a completely different manner. You cannot compare the two devices. To do so would be like comparing a propane camp stove and an induction cooktop: both can boil a pot of water, but their manner of operation is completely different.

2 Likes

Just pointing out the facts. I've now purchased multiple products of theirs that they've failed to deliver on their promises for.

Yet another company has come along and it's pointed out that they're actually delivering on functionality and the same few SD fan boys get upset.

Maybe SD should stop marketing things they can't deliver on.

1 Like

Tyler seems to like it.

Also, they're doing something SD has been asked about: using client boxes on each TV. It's much more easy to lock down the content when you control the client and the server hardware.

2 Likes

Stuff like this is why it's so hard to root for these guys. They treat their customers like dog doo-doo.

1 Like

Why so negative to silicondust in life there are somethings that are out of your control ... I bet you are still using their products ? ATSC 3.0 is constantly changing you can always move on to the ZAPPER Box.

They blocked me on twitter 10 years ago because I mentioned the tuners in their products back then were not nearly as good as my mid-range Samsung TV.

So, F them.

1 Like

They don't deliver on things they've promised. They are not forthright or honest with their customers. They treat their customers with contempt. Should I go on?

The "you use their products" angle is old and tired fan boy stuff. Yes, I gave them my business, multiple times and so far they've failed to deliver what was advertised. I purchased the Prime from them, they never delivered on even one platform a fully functional DRM solution. They still string everybody along saying "it's a goal." rather than admit it's not possible and they're not even working on it. Unethical behavior.

Then I bought into the Flex4K for ATSC 3.0 and it doesn't play DRM. It's not my fault that they rushed out product before completely understanding the specification. The common excuse from the fan boys is that I "should have known better", but they never advertise "buyer beware" anywhere on the packaging.

As far buying a Zapper box, I'm increasingly thinking that might ultimately be the route I have to take once ATSC 1.0 is phased out. To say I have no confidence in SD being able to deliver on their promises is an understatement. You can always get a sense when SD doesn't have a path forward because they stop talking/answering questions.

1 Like

I guess I do not sweat the stuff that is beyond my control live is too short. I have 2 Primes ... but they have given free DVR and guide data for those that backed their launch of the DVR... that is many years of free DVR.

You would be quite annoyed if what you bought didn't work for you. No need to lecture the rest of us.

2 Likes

When I bought my ATSC 3.0 tuner it worked as I expected ... no one knew at the time that they would DRM OTA Channels.... So I got what I paid for.

1 Like

Why even bother posting to SD forms? The changes and announcement for Zapper box device, a STB, NOT a Gateway device, as they said, completely irrelevant.

If your ATSC3.0 stations are DRM, then that is the stations fault, not SD's.
Use your energys to complain to them(the networks) your woes and reasons why DRM is harming your ability to watch "free" OTA tv.

1 Like

That's what they tell you, but it's THEIR job to understand the specification. Us customers, don't have access to the specification, they do. When DRM is included in a specification it's because they intend to use it. How do I know this, because it costs a lot of money to implement. They made a similar massive miscalculation with their Cable Labs DRM solution. Rather than promise a DRM solution and take money via Kickstarter, why didn't they actually talk to Cable Labs first and figure out whether they could get approval for what they had planned. Very unethical.

There's a modus operandi here. They make promises or rush to market, and figure they can just figure things out later. And then when it doesn't happen, the customer is left holding the bag.

At least Tablo realized it before they shipped a flawed product. That's because they're an ethical company.

They should put you on their payroll for all the apologizing you do in their favor.

1 Like

Yea... that is how it is... so what? SD is not the only brand with issues either. Modern TV's that claim to support DRM ATSC 3.0, some do, some don't or have so many issues, they are not useable. Some brands have removed 3.0 tuners from their tvs, and some have pushed firmware to current models that disable DRM decoding, or break it. etc.

It sucks all around, but, nothing is gonna change, you can bitch all you want about it, but still won't change anything. Make a complaint to the BBB or something, if that will make you feel better. :wink:

1 Like

I plan to post my thoughts on things when warranted. If you don't like people posting opinions, you might want to avoid internet message boards.

1 Like

Channels DVR never advertised support for DRM networks... and ATSC 3.0 support is more in a beta stage that anything at this point.

Arguing semantics about other products, on this form, feels like a waste of effort, but, you do you, that is fine.