2022 Year in Review

2022 was the year of quality of life improvements for Channels. After giving you more ways to add content to your library and more unique features for watching it last year, we spent all of 2022 honing in on it.

Thanks for all of your support and feedback. We couldn’t have done it without you. Here’s a few highlights of how the Channels platform has grown in 2022.

10 Likes

We had a lot of fun working to let you customize your media experience even more this year.

What was your favorite addition to Channels this year?

2 Likes

For me it is Library Collections. Took a while at first was overwhelming but once I dug deeper it is quite easy.... and of course, Clent settings.

Even more specifically than Library Collections, the ability to put Labels on them and use that to allow/disallow by client. I now have individually user-tailored devices!

Then again, Metadata Editor closed out so many problems I had and gave me the ability to create the ultimate organization. Do you know what a joy it was to just put a prefix on movies and shows so that they are in the right alphabetical order?

2 Likes

For me without a doubt * Options to keep timeline hidden while seeking followed by offline downloads and auto collection

1 Like

Did you know that in the metadata editor you can define a separate sort title for your entries? This way you can have all of your Bond movies display in order, but still display their original titles in the clients.

(I do this for things like Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark has a sort title of "Indiana Jones 1", so it appears before Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in my Library views.)

2 Likes

Library Collections, and the ability to dynamically place things in them via labels/rules! Meta data editing improvements as well- it's really easy to clean up and fix my library items now. Channels just keeps improving practically every week through pre-releases, and it is awesome to see.

The only "downside" from all of this work in 2022 is it makes me want to put strmlnks and videos in for absolutely everything I own, and right now that makes the client take a bit too long to load so only stuff more likely to be used goes in for now. But I consider that a Quality Problem- before all of the work this year, I didn't fully see Channels as an option to manage all of that media itself- but now I absolutely do- and I'm excited for every step that gets it closer! :smile:

1 Like

Good reminder, because that feature came a bit more recently (October, it looks like). So by then I had already named everything! But I actually like seeing the sort name, so I'll just go on being a weirdo that way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Offline downloads for sure. It was the thing I was waiting for to transition from Plex (and metadata editing alongside this) to make Channels my one stop shop for content.

2 Likes

It's small, but metadata editing is huge for mismatches that you can't do anything about.

1 Like

Only started using Channels about this time last year, so every feature was new and exciting for me. But I think adding the On Later feature to AndroidTV/FireTV was very helpful. The Debug HLS option was improved and I use it almost always. Hopefully it will make to the released version, but it needs to be relabeled something like, Server Enhanced Live TV Buffer.

3 Likes

All of these (in alphabetical order, using custom sort title) :grin:

• A) Calendar view of scheduled recordings
  • B) Improved pass creation and editing in the web admin
  • C) Metadata Editing & Art Picker
  • D) Local Content Imported Videos
  • E) Tailscale integration
  • F) Improved search
  • G) Edit the sort title for content
  • H) Channel Collections in the web guide

Edit to add Tailscale integration which wasn't listed in the 2022 Year in Review article

We've moved the HLS setting out of Debug and to the Playback menu and made it controllable via the DVR to match iOS and tvOS.

For more details, see Direct Play, Direct Stream, Transcoding - #16 by walkerx

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.