30 FF takes 6-7 seconds to play - Normal?

AppleTV 4K Gen2 - Speedtest from DVR to AppleTV shows about 150 Mbit/s - Ethernet connection to a WIFI 6 Orbi Satellite. DVR is Ethernet connected. Both the AppleTV and ChannelsDVR are brand new to me, so I don't know what normal looks like.

I've noticed that if I start a recorded TV show and immediately start hitting FF, it takes 6-7 seconds. If I wait a bit, then it recovers faster. However, at all times, if I hit FF 4-5 times, it will always take 6-7 seconds to recover. This occurs even if I let it play for 1 minute before hitting FF multiple times.

Is this normal, or not? It's certainly disappointing right now. Coming from Tivo, there is never a delay in any FF.

If this is not normal, suggestions on how to improve?

1 Like

150mbps is slow for WiFi. The seek speed is directly correlated to network speeds to the dvr

And latency.
MESH networking is not the best connection method.

TiVo to what client?
Over what connection?
I have a few TiVo's.

1 Like

Not normal it should be near instant. You could check in the app settings under settings-playback-streaming quality and make sure it is set to original

It depends on what king of mesh system you have and how you are connected ... definitely smart connect should not be use and all clients should connect to the 5E ghz.

I think for most uninformed users a wired backhaul AP distrubution system is better than the marketing nonsense of some mesh routers.

Also FF has to relatively seek and does a lot of back-n-forth over the connection until it gets the right segment and timecode. H264 open GOP is painfull compared to the old MPEG2 closed GOP.

That is why the I asked the OP what kind of ORBI is it .... If it isn't Tri-Band where you have a dedicated BACKHAUL then you will have problems.

Thought you ran Synology?

This is my setup .... Disable Smart Connect 2.4 GHZ a must.
!

Yep, Smart Connect, oxymoron, marketing tool
And if you're a TiVo user you'll understand this one...
TiVo Support, oxymoron.
Sorry, couldn't help it.

1 Like

For sure, I'd be hardwired if possible. If only pulling an Ethernet was a good option. I probably should grab a 100' ethernet cable and drag this thru the house temporarily to see how it behaves. House was built before Ethernet was a thing. On the bright side, I have Coax everywhere. How times have changed. I think I just talked myself into trying a MOCA connection. My Tivo operates over MOCA.

I purchased a brand new Orbi WIFI 6 Mesh router with 2 satellites (Model 763). Have the DVR hard-wired to the router and the AppleTV hardwired to a satellite. The mesh is the limiting factor. Now, I don't see a smart connect feature on this system, but I have verified that the AppleTV is connected using 5Ghz, when run wirelessly. It is currently hard wired. As well, the Orbi is configured as AP only.

When using AppleTV with any and all streaming services, FF and Rewind are instant as expected. It only has trouble with ChannelsDVR.

You asked about the Tivo. Connected to what? Tivo is directly connected to the TV. No middle man. No client devices. Have a Tivo Mini connected over Moca to main Tivo and it operates seamlessly.

1 Like

Exactly. So hardly a fair comparison?
My TiVo works
My Providers Stream site works
The Network App works
Netflix works
I have 1GB up/down internet connection
All 6 of my IPTV viewers work
I even went with a new VPN provider _ y'all should try and it worked

Whoa Nelly! This isn't a gripe session. I'm trying to gather information on a new system that I've had for a very short while. I clearly have poor performance per the responses here. EVERYTHING ELSE is working fine. I have excellent performance on All Streaming Channels and the devices I have and know, my Tivos,are my frame of reference for performance. Only ChannelsDVR is suffering, so it's fair to question what is normal.

I'm going to drag out a long ethernet cable and see if the experience improves and then will likely pursue a MOCA connection if ethernet solves the performance issue.

I thank everyone for the feedback!

Did you look under wireless setup that is where you disable smart connect.

Briefly, yes, but didn't see this setting. When running in AP mode, many settings are greyed out. Didn't see it under basic or advance wireless settings.

I thought I remembered that AppleTV was connecting on 5Ghz. I did a quick test by pulling the ethernet cable and confirmed it was. It's moot as I'm hardwired to the satellite. This means that I should be running at the rate of the backhaul channel, but it seems that this is not good enough for this application.

1 Like

I read a response that said 150 mbbs is slow for the Channels DVR?? This is news to me. I too have a problem with OTA channels freezing up then it will start back up or I will get a connection lost. I really did not want to move to cable for internet.

@mplsjeffm The speeds that people are talking about are the speeds within your local network, not the requirement from your internet/cable provider.

I have the EXACT same symptoms as the OP, and I have wired AppleTV4Ks (9), a Shield TV (1) and a FireTV4k (1). The Shield and FireTV are both wireless and do NOT have this problem. I'm tempted to replace all my AppleTVs with Shields instead. There is either something wrong with the ATV software or the ATV is too slow.

ChannelsDVR server is on a Dell 720 w/2x10 core processors. Cannot possibly be the server.

HELP!

1 Like

Is it better if the ATV4Ks are wireless?

(Are they definitely the 4K model? The ATVHD only has 100mbps Ethernet)

1 Like

This may help: