30 FF takes 6-7 seconds to play - Normal?

I'll try wireless, but they're connected at 1Gbit according to my switch software. They're ATV4Ks.

The Dell 720 is running TrueNAS and has ChannelsDVR as a plugin, not windows server.

Edit: The network underneath is Ubiquiti switches, Ubiquiti Access Points, and a UDM Pro. I can trace traffic, etc, if you think it would be worth diving into. Again, the Shield works AWESOME, this issue seems to only affect ATVs.

Have you tried changing the video and deinterlace settings on the ATV4K's?

1 Like

@smccoll I have a Unifi setup with an Apple TV 4K on ethernet and am not experiencing any of the issues you're referring to, so there's something about your setup that must be causing the issues.

After you see this issue with one of your Apple TVs, please submit diagnostics and let us know.

Go to Settings -> Support -> Submit Diagnostic Logs from your device and let us know when it's been submitted so we can have a better idea of what was going on.

1 Like

Definitely something localized in your network. I have 3 ATV4ks all hard wired, netgear gigabit switch, and channels running on an Intel NUC with Ubuntu Linux. I have zero latency when rw/ff/skip/scrubbing (I'm sure there is some but it is not visible at all)

Definitely something with your network, not all 9 of your Apple TV’s.

My UniFi wired (and Wi-Fi) network is rock solid.

1 Like

TiVos record locally, there’s no network dependency that can create variable results. This isn’t really comparable.

As soon as I stick my neck out and report a problem I cannot reproduce it. Will report back the next time it happens.

Love the software, btw, it’s the only reason why the WAF was high enough to cut the cord.

Try as I might, I still can’t reproduce the issue. I see that this was done approx 2 wk ago in 5.5.0 of the client:

Hardware is now the default mode under Settings > Playback > Advanced > Deinterlacing Mode

As someone else suggested earlier in the thread. I am positive that I did not change that setting before so it must have been Software instead of Hardware before 5.5.0.

After Installing a MOCA 2.0 adapter, I now have the AppleTV connected to it. Retested speedtest from the DVR to the AppleTV and get about 430 Mbps. MOCA 2.0 tops out at 670mbps. DVR is 1000mpbs connected to gigabit router. I can get close to wire speed on file transfers from the DVR to another computer. So, is 430 Mbps good enough?

Now when I play a recording, I can FF 2X, 3X, 4X with no buffering time. Once I hit 5X (2 min 30 seconds), it takes about 1 second to buffer. 6X takes about 2 seconds. 7X-8X still about the same 2 seconds. On all streaming services, I can FF any number of times and get instant response.

Typically, I'd FF from start to get to the show or to channel skip.

Thoughts?

Do you mean that you are doing 30sec skip 6x and it takes 2 seconds to play? The FF part was confusing me.
I have no delay at all. Today I was trying to finish watching a movie but I accidentally selected play from beginning. It was actually faster for me to 30 second skip to the 45min mark that to wait for fast forward. There was zero delay. But my speed tests are 998Mbs from all 3 of my ATV's to my DVR which is a powerful i7 NUC. Not sure if that has anything to do with it...
As @tmm1 has said, you are playing back mpeg2 high bitrate material and channels doesn't scale up the streaming bitrate like cloud services do. So with 400ish Mbit I wouldn't think 2sec would be bad. If you could run Ethernet then I bet you would improve that.

Here is a video, I was using the TV ir remote controlling ATV via hdmi so it actually was a tad slower than it is with the ATV remote.

If you use the TestFlight beta and enable Use HLS Streaming When Efficient in the Debug menu you may see improved seek performance on recordings.

Still a new user of ChannelsDVR and AppleTV. Are you suggesting a beta load of the server or client? Guessing client. Quickly scanning notes on TestFlight, it seems that you are talking about a beta version of Apple TVOS? Looks somewhat straight-forward, unless there is some beta registration needed. I'll give it a shot tonight and report back.

Not tvos beta, channels client beta.

Yes. Right arrow click for 30 sec FF. Do this 6 times in a row and must wait 2 seconds for the playback to resume. I did notice that if I misclicked on my way to a count of 6, it would sometimes return unexpectedly quicker. e.g. 1,2,3,4, oops, 5,6. In my original post, with the AppleTV wireless connected on a wifi mesh network over a backhaul channel, I was only getting 150Mbps and all FF clicks required waits of 6-7 seconds. Using MOCA, my network speeds are up to 450Mbps and we now get 4 free FF clicks. 5 and 6 are in the penalty phase.

Prior to buying equipment for this setup, I read that you could use "any old" device as a DVR as it didn't need much horsepower. I now see that this isn't quite true. I'm running the DVR on a i5 laptop with a 1000Mbps connection, but clearly 100Mbps would not cut it. I originally tested it on an i7, but not this specific set of tests. However, I don't think it is CPU bound.

Do I need an Invite or registration for the channels client beta program?

You can join via the link on getchannels.com/beta

1 Like

Did you try disabling auto tune on your dvr PC as noted in that thread?

FWIW I get speeds of 880mbps+ over MOCA2

I currently have MoCA 2.0, which tops out at 670 Mbps. Looks like I would need Bonded MoCA devices to reach higher speeds. However, I have a FIOS router of dubious age and now wonder what version of MoCA it supports. Will check on that. Prior to now, my only MoCA devices (Tivos) didn't speak much. Makes me wonder, what needs to be optimized?

What is the minimum best network speed for an AppleTV 4K? (but not running 4K content)
What is the minimum best network speed for the DVR?
I would assume the bandwidth needs change as more clients are playing content? If all client devices need 450 Mbps or more, is 2 a max client count on a 1Gpbs port? Yet @AeroR1 has 9 clients happily working. To get 9 going, they must be bandwidth efficient when playing, but maybe only need large bandwidth bursts on occasion, such as seek transitions?

Thanks, I missed the autotune note, but in my cursory reading on this topic, it was more of a hindrance with older equipment as it was introduced with Windows Vista. These problems now appear to be in the past. Looks like they are playing with the tcp window size dynamically to improve individual connections. Typically, when autotune was failing, it was impacting large file transfers. Last night, with large file computer to computer copy tests, I was getting near wire speeds. But, it's easy enough to test, so we'll throw it on the pile along with HLS streaming.

Is it the Verizon g100 I think? The red and black router? That’s moca 1.0. I had a moca network with that router as the master and two exact routers as moca bridges, I remember, this is 10 years ago now, that the router has a secret page that cant be accessed by the url, for multicast and igmp snooping and igmp proxy. I think they had to be turned on for the network to work as intended.

I now have an Ethernet network all over my house, that’s the way to go.

I bet it’s your moca network topology which you are basically mentioning now instead in the first post, not channels or anything else.