30 FF takes 6-7 seconds to play - Normal?

Yes, I was pondering this, but I think I can rule that out. I'm getting 450 Mbps between the AppleTV via Moca, thru the FIOS router, to the DVR. Moca 1.0 and 1.1 are 100Mbps and 175Mbps, so I think I have at least MoCA 2.0. The router is neither ancient nor new. As a good pack rat does, I still have the old red and black one too. Heck, maybe I can do bonded MoCA with this router. I'll be checking it tonight.

Doesn’t matter the speed. You need to understand that everything isnt about speed. Apple products rely heavily on multicast and if somewhere in the chain, multicast is disturbed, you will get issues.

Since you are heavy on words and light on details, did you try eliminating moca and plug an Apple TV straight to the router?

Understand that it’s not channels, Apple, the wind etc. It’s your network— and it’s not speed, or the speed you get, etc. For example, Apple TV HD works perfectly fine in its limited 100mb nic or slower Wi-Fi than speeds you are getting.

My advice, get rid of moca. Yes, the wiring is already there, my wife won’t let me run wires, etc, but we are in the future. Just wait till the new broadcast tech, or app or service that comes along that will require a better network. Hell, Amazon knows this and just released a professional router with Poe.

Agree and to build on this.. @bantar there are literally dozens of variables here. Grab a long ethernet cable and run it through the house to your router or main switch. Try and recreate the issue. If everything is perfect then you know it is your moca network etc. Then you can come up with a solution from there or decide that a 2 second wait isnt worth a network redesign.

If you still have the same issue with ethernet then moca is not your issue and you need to concentrate further upstream.

LOL MoCA was the replacement for wifi 6 mesh solution discussed in the initial post. It got better, but still not speedy. That's where we are.

My office to the living room, with the nearest TV is not a short haul. Just ordered a 100' ethernet cable. Can try this tomorrow. However, there is nothing happening on my wired network unless I'm the one creating the traffic. The piddling web browser traffic is on wifi. The path is simple: AppleTV - MoCA - Router - DVR

why lol? mesh also blows. its perfectly fine to go to facebook and most tasks, but not good for heavy bandwidth applications.

people love to fall for the mesh marketing and everyone who does, have no idea how it works or how to make it work.

mesh with multiple points is cutting your bandwidth and latency into multiple factors, but thats not to say that it can work.

your simple path is giving your tv viewing AIDS. my simple path of router to apple tv via ethernet is healthy as can be.

Mesh gets me wifi coverage that is not possible otherwise but no good for Streaming. Rewiring my house is no trivial exercise. Would go hard wired all day if it was easily done.

Anyways, I'm here for the cure for that nasty bit of AIDS. ::

AiMesh ... has to be at least tri-band ... 1band exclusively as a backhaul... 1 band used for uplink preferably 5GHZ and wireless connections. and the 2.4 GHZ for legacy products.

That is my setup and I do not suffer from missed interrupted or corrupted recordings. Sh*t just works. Heck my tuners are not even hardwired to my server.

Is the email with redemption code possible without any iOS devices in my house? I only have the AppleTVs.

I will ask Apple to send you an email with the code

Sweet. I got it. Just tried Use HLS Streaming When Efficient and FF now plays instantly, no matter how fast and often I click.

THANK YOU to all who've contributed!!!

OK, I've completed testing of a few items.

With and without AutoTune:
MoCA 2.0 Speedtest - ~450 Mbps - Latency ~8ms
Ethernet Speedtest - ~760 Mbps - Latency ~3.5ms
MoCA 2.0 Speedtest with AutoTune disabled - ~425 Mbps
Ethernet Speedtest with AutoTune disabled - ~760 Mbps

With and Without HLS:
HLS = OFF - MoCA - FF takes time to buffer
HLS = OFF - Ethernet - FF instant response
HLS = ON - MoCA - FF instant response
HLS = ON - Ethernet - FF instant response

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.