A Different Kind of NAS: Compact, Quiet, All Flash Storage to 64TB

For many (most?), running Channels DVR server is all about choosing the minimum hardware that'll give acceptable results. This is not that :slight_smile::

For the last couple of days I've been testing the new TerraMaster F8 SSD Plus, and I really like it. It's only a tad bigger than an Intel NUC -- and is very, very quiet. It has a relatively recent 12th generation i3, a 10GbE Ethernet port, and 8 (yes 8) NVMe slots for flash storage. A total of 64TB supported.

For me the key question was, can I run something other than TerraMaster's TOS on it -- and the answer is yes. I have Promox 8.2.7 installed, and it's running very well. No issues during the installation, and nothing in the logs that would suggest any.

This NAS feels super responsive, no doubt due to the 10GbE Ethernet and the lack of any "spinning rust" for storage. CDVR in an LXC container has been working great, including Intel Quick Sync transcoding. I believe this platform will also make an outstanding host for Proxmox Backup Server, and so I've ordered the version with the N95 processor to use for that task.

For those whose budgets allow, this is an amazing bit of kit. It's small, light, fast and a killer Proxmox platform! There's currently a $100 off coupon on both models:

https://www.amazon.com/TERRAMASTER-F8-SSD-Plus-NAS/dp/B0D9HWLDX5

1 Like