A few Collections Question

Two questions about collections just to confirm:

• There is no way to reorder / hide the collections, correct? Im stuck with Christmas at top? lol.

• There is no way to add TV shows to a Movies collection or the other way around. Example: A Starwars collection could never have the TV shows AND movies. Same with Star Trek etc.

Collections are ordered alphabetically.

No, you can't mix content in collections.

It may be I’m confused about the question but if you want to reorder how they appear in a client, they are on the order you add them. So move all of them from selected to available and then add them back to selected in the order you want them to appear.

Remove from the client by moving Christmas from selected to available. If you’re talking about the order they appear in the web ui under live tv > collections then that is the order they are created. If you don’t want Christmas on the top of that list you have to delete the collection and readd to move it to the bottom.

Again maybe I’m confused on the question but I’ve never seen channel collections in alphabetical order on anything. I don’t use global for assignment of collections to clients so maybe that’s where it’s alphabetical???

I think this thread may be about Video Collections and not Channel Collections though?

This is in the client. In the web admin, they are ordered by when you created them.

Library Collections are still ordered by creation date on Android, not alphabetically like on iOS.

Thanks, we'll look into it.

if we could manually arrange them like a virtual channel that would be a neat feature as well.

also, being able to hide collections / virtual channels based on dates for seasonal groupings.

more work, i know, but figured i'd toss it out there.

:wave: Hi everyone on this thread. I'm looking at what it looks like to unify Library Collections so that they allow both Movies and TV Shows in them for those that want to build collections for franchises like Star Wars and Marvel with their associated movies and series included.

This will mean in the Channels app, you'll see a row of movies and a row of shows.

This also means:

1. There will no longer be typed collections. There will no longer be Movie Collections or TV Collections, just Collections.
  2. Collections will no longer be found in the Movies and TV Shows section when using Enhanced Library Browsing.
  3. Collections will only be found under the Library Collections section found in the Library or when placed in the navigation bar, with all collections showing in a single list.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

I’m a fan of this proposal. How would you handle the artwork as tv shows and movies have different art dimensions currently.

Separate rows, as I mentioned.

Ah! I see what you mean.

First. I am excited for the potential of this feature. It may work great. May be a flop. But thank you for listening to community feedback and looking into it.

I don't forsee any issues with desegregation of movie/tv for collections. But I am often wrong.

So, nesting is totally out of the equation and it has to be rows? Take for instance something like Ghost in the Shell that goes back and forth between being a TV Show and being Movies and both are oftentimes out of timeline order. I've used the metadata editor to rename everything so that I know the order to watch it in with numbers. However, the way you are describing it, it would look something like this:

Instead of this:

1 Like

I think there are pros/cons to both methods. Personally I think having them be two rows is the better compromise.

I think having unified row is cool, but my mindset when I want to watch a show vs movie is different. As a result i think i would Personally like two rows better. But this is just a opinion. There are definitely advantages to single row.

i like this. it fixes a lot. especial for kids shows that have a lot of TV and Movies - example scooby doo with 35 movies and 12 different tv series.

Only way to view them in one place is a virtual channel which works as a passive channel but is a little odd to have split into two collections.

interesting UI choice would be to quickly add the collection to a virtual channel and see what virtual channels include the content in the collection - from that collection setting page.

Still rooting for seasonal visibility for virtual channels and collections without having to delete them and recreate them every season.

This should be fixed on Android in the latest beta

I'm still seeing Library Collections ordered by creation date on v2024.02.22.0233. I've submitted diagnostics from the Android app.

Thanks for submitting diagnostics, can you give v2024.03.01.1637 a try?

@anizocani Same issue on the v2024.03.01.1637 Android app (not listed in the Android beta release notes) and on the v2024.03.01.2313 Android app. I've submitted client diagnostics from both versions (right after navigating to Library Collections each time).

P.S. Welcome! Awesome to see a new developer on the Fancy Bits team!