A Few Feature Requests

Some ideas after using Channels DVR for several months. 1.) Ability to access settings without backing out of current program (overlay menu?), 2.) Mini-guide vs the current drop-down channel selector, and 3.) Different colors in UI or an option for those with vision issues. Current colors can be difficult to read. 4.) Option to specify channels to record in UI vs only in web interface. Thanks for any consideration you give to these suggestions!

This functionality is largely available using Picture in Picture:

There is also the option in Settings > Playback > Picture in Picture > Automatic or similar.

I'll give PIP another look, but I wasn't impressed with it when using it initially. I'll take another look as I've changed some of the devices in my setup.

The PIP feature still fails in my setup. I have Channels installed on a Synology NAS and I'm viewing it through a Nvidia Shield Pro which I understand has compatibility issues with latest version. Not sure if that's causing the problems, but the PIP is completely unusable right now. When it triggers I cannot interact with it, other than to turn it on or off in Settings. I'll test it on another TV that uses a FireTV stick.

On the Fire TV, when the PIP window is opened, it briefly displays a hint banner inside the PIP window (I know I certainly missed it at first):

Hold HOME to control PIP

On the Shield (according to this support article), the action is instead:

Double tap Home button

Once the PIP window is brought into focus, one can use the directional pad to select between the control options.

2 Likes