AC-4 Audio Support for Android TV

there is no equipment that supports dolby ac-4, except for 2 tv's with atsc3.0 tuners built into the tv.

that is why the mecool transcodes the ac-4 audio to ac-3 audio, because almost all audio equipment supports ac-3 just fine.

also, the mecool works fine with the hdhomerun app to deliver great dolby 5.1 to my sonos from atsc 3.0 channel

Playbar: Bedroom
Serial Number: 78-28-CA-50-0A-20:1
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 14.19.1 (build 70335220)
Hardware Version: 1.9.1.10-1.2
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 192.168.0.229
Audio In: Dolby Digital 5.1
WM: 1

My tv has a 3.0 tuner. Your 5.1 with the HDHR is probably thier transcoding service.

i will try, but i honestly believe the real problem is that channels never passes ac-4 to mecool, just pcm 2.0 because channels doesn't recognize the mecool edid report for ac-4 support. my theory, not fact.

Once ac4 is decoded to multi channel pcm every thing can understand it. There is no issues with shield tv or atv or your mecool decoding ac4, it’s the bandwidth of the optical interface that is the problem. If you had a hdmi Sonos you would get 6 channel surround.

The shield tv will pass it if the other end can handle it. I do believe you are getting sd transcode service even though you think you are disabling it with the pass through

cool... what tv? lg or inspiron or what?

so can you install channels on your tv and get dolby 5.1 on a nextgen broadcast channel. if not can you install hdhomerun?

so you have shield and atv working with channels and nextgen atsc 3.0 tuner channels?

Yes. Hdhr4k atsc3 channels to shield tv out to Yamaha receiver via hdmi = 5.1 surround sound via 6 channel pcm. If your Sonos had an hdmi input you would not have any issues with 6 channel audio.

hmmm.. don't have a way to test that yet.

so youre using channels app on shield tv box and shield is decoding ac-4 to pcm 6 channel?

or is channels converting to pcm 6 channel?

btw... thanks for all the replies. i'm enjoying the chat.

I’m not at home right now to see witch way I have it setup but channels app can decode ac4 and the shield can also decode ac4 into 6 channels. The shield can also audio pass through it. But unless the other side can decode it pass through won’t work. My Yamaha avr has no ac-4 decoding capability

1 Like

If the mecool truly has the special power to decode ac4 then re encode it to dd then perhaps choosing primary audio output to spdif might work

1 Like

It's a sony bravia. Honestly I don't even use the built in tv apps. They suck on every TV and I HATE the android TV interface. Appletv is soooo much better

1 Like

yes, good idea... my hopes aren't high, but i can easily test that and pray. :crossed_fingers::nerd_face:

have you tried the newer google tv gui? i'm a firestick person, but ive read its better.

i'm only working with android tv to figure out my atsc 3.0 audio issues.

I tried Firestick first and ran into limitation in what Amazon lets you do. Google TV has fewer limits and a cleaner interface without being pushed to any particular streamers videos. Bot run Channels fine.

1 Like

ok tried the mecool optical connected direct to sonos soundbar with spidif out enabled on mecool audio options.

with channels surround option enabled or disabled and mecool audio set to auto, the sonos sound is pcm 2.0

with channels surround option enabled or disabled and mecool audio set to passthrough, the sonos sound is pcm 2.0

i still think the reason for this is that channels is giving mecool pcm 2.0 audio, and not ac-4. so mecool never gets the chance to transcode the ac-4 to ac-3.

i do believe that if i was connected to a proper avr, that channels would provide transcoded pcm 6.0. but i believe instead channels should properly query the mecool edid info and pass ac-4 audio to it, and not pcm audio.

We don't support AC-4 passthrough yet. I will need to order one of these devices to do some testing and implement it.

1 Like

thanks for the reply.

just got this from nick at SD:

The HDHomeRun tuner hardware and DVR always passes the original AC4 audio through to the client app.

The Mecool Android device has AC4 to AC3/EAC3/PCM transcode support which the HDHomeRun app supports - the HDHomeRun app invokes AC4-passthrough and the Mecool box converts it to AC3/EAC3/PCM behind the scenes so you get 5.1 surround sound. The cloud transcode service is not involved.

I don't know what the Channels app is doing.

Nick

Correct, we need to passthrough to the OS which is not currently supported by Channels app

1 Like

amazon link