ATSC 3.0 Audio using Android/FireTV

I have seen that happen as a new market comes into play it comes and goes until they get it right.

The Dallas station was one of the first transmitting about 4 years ago. But they seem to have a difficult time getting it right. Oh well, love ATSC 1.0 with Channels. Wonder how long this will last. Change is inevitable.

You should report it in the Silicondust forum I am sure they have a Dallas ATSC sub thread.

ATSC 3.0 DALLAS FORT WORTH - DFW - Silicondust

So now I am back looking at the ATSC3.0 audio problems on the Dallas area FOX channel using Channels DVR. The audio level is very low, almost nonexistent. We also have a Spanish station transmitting ATSC3.0 and it seems to have good audio level. I recorded samples from both stations. I don't seem to have a media player on my Windows computer that can play any audio from these samples, but the video looks fine. Can I put these into the Fancy Bits dropbox for a developer to investigate?

Talking about ATSC 3.0 cannot play any of the Channels using the HDHR app but play fine using Channels DVR on Fire Cube 3rd gen. JUST an FYI.

check my thread: AC-4 Audio Support for Android TV - #26 by HeadHodge

my take away:

• channels doesn't support dolby transcoding or ac-4 passthrough (yet)

• channels does support pcm transcoding. depending on your audio device, you should get either pcm 2 channel or pcm 6 channel audio.

• the trabscoded pcm volume is unfortunately low. tru turning surround sound option on/off to see it it helps. also make sure one of your other devices isnt transcoding the pcm into another format (i.e. firestick can transcode pcm to dolby with an audio out setting)

IMHO, processing tuner ota broadcasts is channels bread and butter, and should be WAY more on top of supporting the industry nextgen standards. its been a u.s. standard for years now.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to be a little more patient until Channels supports ATSC3.0. If I want to watch an ATSC3.0 channel then I can use my Sony TV with an ATSC3.0 tuner or the HDHomerun app.

MY ATSC 3.0 all work great in Channels Including the Audio ... All my devices are Android or FireTV ... even Captions are working. Make sure you have the latest Firmware Installed.

If you have problems in your area you need to report it to Silicondust.

I don't think the firmware you are using has been released. Any way Silicon Dust's HDHomerun app works perfectly with ATSC3.0 on all my various devices. If Silicon Dust releases new firmware that fixes the problems with Channels that will be great.

Well as you know ATSC 3.0 is still in Beta in Silicondust so if you do not want to install the beta Firmware then you cannot blame Channels DVR.

It is released I always use the Windows Setup ....
Download - 20221205 - Silicondust

i dont quite understand,,, i see SD making a lot of changes to their app for atsc3.0 support. but i dont see how that affects the channels app one way or the other?

if your meaning actual firmware changes to the tuner hardware, do you know what sort of changes are being made?

If you want to keep up with ATSC 3.0 updates, you need to keep up with the SiliconDust firmware Changes .. If you are not up to date on firmware changes you cannot really blame Channels DVR for problems with ATSC 3.0 tuning. If you are scared to update firmware, then do not use ATSC 3.0.

Like I said above ... I have no Problem with viewing any ATSC 3.0 Channel with video nor audio.

I use .. and have no problems at all using Channels DVR to tune ATSC 3.0
Samsung Galaxy Phone Ultra 21
Samsung Tablet.
FireTV 4k from Amazon
Fretv 4K Max
FireTV Cube.
Shield TV

yes that makes sense, but the link you provided for the latest release appears to be for their app and don't think that's a firmware update.

The windows setup contains the firmware upgrade ... as I stated that is what I use.

i just use my browser to access the tuners webpage to update its firmware. no SD software installs are needed.

im just guessing, but i bet channels only uses the hdhomerun tuner API, http_api [HDHomeRun] and not anything you install from SD on your computer.

Probably not but I use them .... BDA Drivers, Configui and to Install Firmware.

sometimes the webui doesn't pick up the firmware updates. Ive had to restart my HDHR's to pick it up the new firmware download notice. If you install the app it will update all of your HDHR's in one shot so you don't have to do them one by one, that is an added benefit :-).

2 Likes

that's good feedback... i'm just wanting to clarify for the op that installing the latest hdhr app is NOT needed because channels doesnt use it. But channels DOES use the SD tuners firmware and thats what you want to keep updated with whatever method you use.

howto from SD forum Upgrading the firmware - Silicondust