Active Show while in TV Guide

It doesn't move to top-right on its own. You need to move it there. The question asked how to get PiP in the top right of the guide.

The functionality you are requesting, a cable-box like guide with PiP works with Hide PiP Button set to "ON" and Automatic PiP set to "Live TV". And the PiP box moved top-right. This is what you get on a cable box. All other settings are additional features that are non-conventional.

I didn't request it. I'm just sharing my experience.

For those using this on an Apple TV, if you have it set to PiP - Guide only, what do you do when you wander out of the Guide and don't come back. There doesn't seem to be any way out of it. If you leave Live View and even if you leave Channels DVR, you are going to have a PiP window trailing behind you. It works great as long as you are hopping back and forth between the Guide and a live program but at some point you go out of that.

It works great for both On Now and Guide. For library and outside of Channels, you would need to expand the PiP window.
In that case, I usually expand the PiP with my ATV remote, which is my all-in-one for everything. I don't even know where my other remotes are. The ATV remote controls my TV, audio system, apple TV, and all content.

I can see how this could be an issue if you have some kind of combination of 3rd-party remotes that don't have buttons which can be fully replicated.

I would guess that the majority of people do not use the Siri remote as their primary remote for everything, and it would never pass muster for the family as a primary remote. I also found things got a little wonky when I turned PiP for everything instead of just LiveTV but sounds like your experience was better.

The one thing that would make this way better would be if there were a way to hijack things from Channels and have some key combination get you out of PiP, but I'm guessing that is not possible since Apple has decided its controlled by the single most annoying key on the Siri remote..... the only one that can't work via IR. Who does that? Every button works with IR except one which only works Bluetooth. Again... who does that? What brilliant engineer at Apple came up with that idea.

Setting the PIP window to the auto setting and moving to the top right of the guide is a nice fix (on Apple TV). The only thing that would be nice is when I actually exit the app that the PIP window closes. Maybe a setting choice. Like "Auto Close" so those that want the PIP to stay open until they decide to shut it down might work. That would also fix the Harmony Hub Remote issue of not being able to focus on the PIP window. I actually need to dig my apple remote out to close the PIP window. Also maybe allow the placement of the PIP window on the Amazon Fire TV.

On the contrary, I would bet that majority of users with an AppleTV have no idea that an alternate remote control is even an option.

Well I don't have any secret data source, but anecdotally following Apple TV on many online forums, reddit, etc., and seeing lots of polls, at least half of the Apple TV owners hate the remote and so it would follow that they probably use somethiing else. I doubt there are that many people that don't know that there are universal remotes out there. We can agree to disagree, but for anyone not using the Siri remote or older Apple remote, exiting PiP is not possible once its started. That means getting up and going to find the Siri remote to fix the issue, and that fails WAF in my household every time.

I hear where you're coming from but the majority of AppleTV owners aren't using online forums or Reddit, either. And the people that don't mind the remote, don't spend time posting about it. Only the people with strong negative feelings typically do. So you're not even seeing a representative sample of opinions from a representative sample of AppleTV owners.

Understood. Hopefully that gets resolved one way another, for those using 3rd party IR remotes.

FWIW, as an aside, there currently is a way to toggle PIP on an AppleTV, using a hub-based Harmony remote, as well as directly issue other Channels commands. This is not a way to "exit PIP" per se, but it does toggle between PIP and full-screen. I'm wondering if a workaround, of assigning a "sequence" (which is a combination of commands) to a Harmony remote key, might achieve what you're looking for. At the very least, you could disable automatic PIP in Channels and then toggle it on and off with a single key.

I recently picked up a Harmony Companion remote (Woot just had a big sale on refurbs) and will be playing around with this soon.

That's probably because that some of the Harmony remotes are the few exceptions that can support the one bluetooth only key on the Siri remote that is required to interact with PiP. I have a Harmony Elite which cost way more than the Apple TV, but I don't use it any longer because its significant overkill and complexity when 99% of my use of the TV is through one streaming box. Caavo also fits this category of being able to do Bluetooth, but being complex and expensive. Sofabaton is probably the only one that is reasonably priced, but its still big, bulky, and has a ton of buttons. I may try one of those, now that I have 4 of the One for All Streamer remotes. :joy: :rofl: :joy: Logitech is also getting out of the remote business.

But this remote stuff has been rehashed numerous times on here, so no need to keep this going. Its just a frustration wtih Apple's wonky way of interacting with the Apple TV witha remote that is frustrating. We aren't going to solve that.

Agreed, for the most part. And thanks for humoring me with a reply, I promise, I come in peace. :slight_smile:

But @medic6578 started this thread saying he uses the Harmony Universal remote, so my advice about the "Bluetooth keyboard commands" could be relevant and helpful in this specific context. And you mentioned PIP potentially getting into a weird state required the Siri remote, so I was presenting current solutions.

I will say though the rumors of "Logitech getting out of the remote business" have been circulating for years and years. Meanwhile, my 650 keeps chugging along, and lasts 9 months on a pair of AA batteries. As far as IR-only remotes go, in my opinion (and others) it's the best one that's ever been made.

I had a Harmony Elite as well but sold it as it was overkill but also, only lasted a few days on a single charge and I didn't like having to always dock it. I've been playing with the Companion setup this morning and while the initial setup was pretty convoluted, I believe I've now got it dialed in as the best of all worlds, at least for the way my house watches TV. It can control my AppleTV via Bluetooth, including the Home button for getting to the PIP control UI, but also for pulling up the tvOS Control Center that I use all the time. I can toggle PIP, as well as Closed Captions, with a single button press. The Watch TV activity can be set to automatically launch any app from the AppleTV's Top Shelf. I can also assign the numerical buttons to any command or sequence, which works great as way to jump around between 10 preset favorite channels, or 20 if you count long-press. And for icing on the cake, there are buttons on top for smarthome controls, so I can turn off lights and close curtains when it's movie time.

That said, it certainly is not my intention to derail this thread. Just offering up some extra info as I come across it, as it appears we have similar interests. I completely understand the frustration with Apple's remote, and the challenges the Channels developers have had working with it, but also implementing Picture in Picture in their app in a way that benefits the most users. It's a huge improvement to the interface that PIP has finally been added in the first place. It does feel like we're getting closer and closer to a completely WAF-friendly TV watching experience that is as straightforward as old-school cable. But I also understand how frustrating it can be to feel you've gotten >this close< with an alternate remote, but not quite 100% there, due to one remaining gap in intuitiveness. I've experimented with so many remotes, like you, and there always seem to be tradeoffs to consider. I suspect I'll keep playing around with Channels' PIP settings and other shortcuts, adding more functions to my remote, to see what works best, as we inch closer and closer to remote control perfection :slight_smile:

I do feel confident that the Channel devs will make the right choices and improvements when possible though, and I appreciate that they're pretty aggressive with their innovations. There are obvious differences with each device/screen they're designing for, and I'm grateful they're doing the best they can, working within each platform's unique strengths and restraints.

I use my Salt TV Remote and dont even know where my AppleTV remote is. I had to find out how to stop the PIP the hard way and have since turned it off

I have to say the PIP works pretty well for me. I have a Shield and a Harmony Hub with the small remote. I programmed the Guide button as the BT keyboard key for PIP and it works well. I wish it closed PIP when exiting the app, but other than that it works well for me.

1 Like

This is a huge missing feature. I really love Channels DVR but I have reverted back to TiviMate just becasue of this feature. I miss the whole home DVR capabilities of channels, but the rest of the family would rather have the current channel preview in the guide. I guess i'll keep coming back to the community pages and checking periodically but it looks like people have been asking for this for 5+ years.

Have you tried PIP?

I've been wondering if it's technically possible for the devs to implement this with the guide as an overlay with the active show (still in full screen) playing in the background. This way, PIP wouldn't even need to be involved with the guide. In the same way that the quick guide is an overlay that only covers a small portion of the screen at the top with the active show still playing, is it not possible to have the option to have a full guide that would cover most or all of the screen with the active show still playing in the background? I realize the functionality of the Siri remote is fairly limited, but maybe give the option in the settings menu for the down swipe (or down arrow) to bring up either the quick guide or a full guide overlay.

While yes, it is possible, in practice it is not as easy as that.

I have a saying I use all the time at work (IT) when people ask me if I can do something. “I can do anything given infinite time and money.” :grin:

This PIP was recently updated for the Fire TVs and it is working great.