ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

I've got two of these encoders and they work good and run cool.
https://www.amazon.com/EXVIST-Encoder-Hikvision-Streaming-Facebook/dp/B08FDZ2VNZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=exvist+hdmi+encoder&qid=1695317070&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Make sure to hard wire the encoder on the network rather than using wi-fi.

Does this encoder output a 1080/60 stream? or 1080/30? Seems unclear from the description?

The encoder puts out 1080p 60.
You have to change it during setup.

Thanks. The encoder I have today, will take a 1080/60 signal, but only outputs 1080/30. So, been looking for other options.

Can ADBTuner be used with a Spectrum login like I use for TVE? I've only seen streaming providers such as FUBO and YTTV mentioned. What challenges would I run into getting this to work with Spectrum? Thanks.

As far as I am aware Spectrum does not have an Android TV app, but I do think it does have a Fire TV app. However, I think the Fire TV app doesn't support deep links, so it would be a bust with ADBTuner. However, the HDMI for Channels project may have some people working on Spectrum stuff.

Thank you for your reply. Let me be more clear on my questions. TVE works fine for most of my Spectrum channels, except for the recent NBC channels that are now DRM. Instead of using a Spectrum app with HDMI for channels /ADBTuner, is it possible to use, for example, CNBC app and SYFY app to get just those channels using HDMI for channels (& Spectrum login)? Admittedly, I skimmed through the HDMI for channels and ADBTuner threads here and probably need to re-read them like I did the Chrome capture for channels thread.

1. Can HDMI/ADB be used as easily with apps like CNBC or SYFY, or is it just for providers like FUBO or YTTV?

2. Spectrum TVE also just lost NatGeo Wild, Freeform, FXX, and FXM. So, I'm trying to pick a path for the future, either CC4C vs HDMI/ADBTuner, if I need to switch provider to FUBO or YTTV at some point. I know a lot of others here have tinkered with both DRM solutions. It seems like CC4C was viewed more favorably early on, but with the addition of ADBTuner to HDMI for channels, I think I am hearing that HDMI is preferred / seems to work better. Am I reading that correctly? I haven't had time to dive in yet. Wanted to learn about both methods before going all in. If I go the CC4C route, will most likely build or buy a dedicated box like the Beelink mini pc, and if I go for HDMI/ADBTuner, will most likely get a Magewell Pro capture card in a linux box with devices to feed it.

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone here, from the developers and helpers working hard to innovate, to everyone pitching in to answer questions and expand knowledge, what a fantastic community!

This project, ADBTuner, is just for apps that support deep links. You can search the thread to see if anyone has figured out deep links for the apps you want to use. Generally, it's just some of the streaming providers apps themselves that work.

The other project you mentioned, formerly androidhdmi-for-channels, is now known as ah4c. It'll work with both deep links and also supports remote control emulation, so just about anything is possible, but it doesn't have the easy-to-use interface of ADBTuner. It works great with Docker and Portainer though, so it's not strictly command line as it was in the beginning. As far as capture devices are concerned, ah4c has specific support for Magewell.

Either of these HDMI encoder-based projects are the best choice for scalability, as you can setup as many virtual tuners as you like. CC4C on the other hand would have significant trouble scaling past one or two v-tuners.

Having same issue. I'm using the OON TCPIP address for the Device IP Address (192.168.0.y) and the Streaming Endpoint is using the encoder address (http://192.168.0.z/ts/1_0) and am getting the red bubble Android Connection Failed. The OON device is in developer mode.

I can watch the streaming device from my web browser using the 192.168.0.z address, click on live view from the encoder's options, but I can't get the ADBTuner to recognize the OON box for some reason?

Yes, all you need is the NBC app to get all the NBC channels. Search for NBC here or in the HDMI for channels thread for setup details, I've been using the Onn stick for this from the start.

You have to subscribe to some provider to get these of course.

Try going into developer settings, revoke any ADB debug connection authorizations, reboot the tuner (the ONN box), and then try again. ADB Authorizations can sometimes be a little weird, if you miss the first prompt to authorize a device to connect it doesn't always give you another chance to authorize until you do the little secret dance and hold your mouth just right. For whatever reason, ADBTuner is having trouble getting connected to your tuner via ADB, almost certainly because it isn't authorized.

That did it, thanks. And I only had to stand on one leg with the remote pointed behind my back while holding a tin foil wrapped VHF (80s circa) antenna to be able to get it to work. :wink:

I think it's just the opposite. There is a Spectrum TV app in the Play Store if the device can access it, and Fire TV does not support the Spectrum TV app. I tried sideloading the Spectrum TV app onto the Firestick, but never got it to work - and even those that do get it to work would probably be re-sideloading every time there is a required update.

I wonder if it is possible to use Roku players instead of other streamers in order to use this with Spectrum?

ADBTuner won't support anything other than android-based streamers (the A in ADB stands for android). There are Roku discussions in the HDMI for Channels thread.

Android players are better than any Roku.
I have both.
The Roku is great for someone who just wants to watch stuff but it doesn't have any real power.
if you are going to buy that device, might just as well buy that little ONN box.
The devices are better than Roku and they are super cheap.

Right, it's just that with Spectrum as a provider, there is no Spectrum app for an android or fire tv streamer (only Roku). I think CC4C is probably the best option if one stays with Spectrum and you want to be able to work with more than just the NBC channels (and NBC apps). I do have an Intel 10th gen Celeron CPU system laying around, not powerful at all, but am hoping perhaps Intel Quick Sync can perhaps be utilized for hardware encoding with CC4C. Quick Sync works great to transcode video you are sending out over WAN. I need to post this in CC4C thread. I think I just have to dive in and start tinkering.

Spectrum does work with Stremium.

Get a free account or one of those cheap plans and add your spectrum log in details.
If Stremium can log in and you can watch content, the streams aren't encrypted.
They already work with Philo and FRNDLY.

4 Likes

I guess I'm not understanding what Stremium would do for me to get either DRM or non-TVE Spectrum channels into Channels DVR like CC4C would? I'm not interested in moving away from CDVR.

EDIT: Ohh, perhaps you are saying to set up Stremium with Spectrum and then use either a Fire TV or Onn android streamer to play the Spectrum channels using Stremium app (non-DRM only). Hmmm.

That just made me think of something else, I was reading that Fire TV can use a Silk browser and for Onn device some are using JioPages browser. That would be cool, to be able to use Spectrum http links in a browser with these devices. Too bad I'm not a programmer!

Yesterday I was recording USA network and I usually check it 5 mins before recording but the dumb NBC pop for showing ad for a new show and is there something y'all are doing to combat this? It ended up ruining the whole entire recording.

1 Like