Adios to Channels

Well I see that the Golf channel is gone thanks to NBC and DRM.
This was a prime reason for my Channels sub with Commewrcial Skip....
And not having stream limits, etc etc etc
And the local NBC via Experimental and I'm sure more networks will follow.
My only request to the devs is to see if there is somehow a way to get a license for DRM or SOMETHING to get around the DRM.
Is that possible??
Raise the subscription amount if such a thing is possible.
When my sub runs out... or maybe before... I will not re-sub.
Thanks to the devs for a great app and I really hate to see it go and I hate to see thier nice source of income go.
What the networks maybe don't realize is that Ads/commercials are a significant part of thier income.
When they HIDE their content with DRM and make it hard to use they lose out on an audience that uses TVE.

1 Like

TugoTV has NBC Golf Channel and from what I understand does not utilize TVE. It uses a docker container by @miibeez .

If you don't mind adding a docker container. It can replace your TVE source. TugoTV offers 5 day trial period. Then is $30month.

NOTE
I have not tested or used the docker container for Tugo.

I wish this was possible. I am sure Devs have looked into drm/license. However it seams that each broadcaster is attempting to force everyone into a streaming subscription. They seem willing to loose as many customers as it takes in order to achieve their goals. If CDVR was able to implement DRM i would be willing to pay more. Unfortunately i do not think our dreams will come true.

Thanks for the reply but... I already PAY for Golf channel.!!!!!
But nbc, a horrible network, has decided I can't have easy unrestricted access to it even tho I'm legal.!!
And I like Channels so much, but this may be the beginning of the end,
I will wait it out till my sub expires and see what might happen.

1 Like

The only way to get NBC stations into CDVR will be illegaliptv. Or the docker/vlc bridge.

1 Like

Well I have a streaming subscription... but it does not have:
An m3u to use with TiviMate for multiscreen, I use this a LOT for football.
It has a limit of simultaneous streams
It does not have automatic Commercial Skip
Custom Channels
etc etc
I don't really get the purpose of DRM if I have valid credentials.

DRM. They want you to use their app/website. Its about control. If using their platform they can control your ads and dvr. And control what you can/cant skip. They can control how/when/whereyou consume content. Unfortunately power users do not account fora large enough market share for them to care.

Anyway if your happy with channels. You could try canceling your TVE/streaming sibscription. Use TugoTV docker. Get your channels into CDVR that way.

Other then that. Unfortunately I understand non-renewing CDVR. As cablecard and tve get more & more DRM i expect it to be more common.

1 Like

Has someone built a new vlc bridge/docker for NBC channels?

1 Like

ugh, cant agree more! I pay for all the channels and only watch a few...Golf channel is one of those. SO glad we taught those evil cable companies a lesson! We still never got the option to pick say 25 channels and pay only for those and the streamers constantly invent new ways to gouge us. I love Channels interface and features, but without my main channels it's just wasted.

I thought I would do the trial for TugoTV and the docker that @miibeez put up, but nothing comes up. The m3u guide comes up fine, watching on a browser shows repeating "Reconnecting" message, and the docker log shows:

82de1a0b86934f99d8a36561ad-1682196592-1682110192
2023/04/21 20:54:53 INFO SRV: Redirect url=https://glorystarhub.tv/ESPN/index.m3u8?token=4d529730aa18f83bfb9927f33865302ab7b91961-7d26330388646f03e78276debe12c17d-1682196594-1682110194
2023/04/21 21:10:21 ERRO SRV: Server error err="code=404, message=Not Found"

Any ideas? Other containers such as pbs and espn work fine.

(Solution - needs stream format HLS)

Have you tried watching on a client? Browser isn't always reliable.

Yes I tried it also on the ios client as well.

But fiddling more, it seems that it needs the stream format to be HLS instead of MPEG-TS as the PBS vlc-bridge does.

Works now.

2 Likes

How is the quality and reliability? Is the bitrate good like TVE or crappy like locast?

I am having no problem with it, looks good for what I have seen, connects quickly, except no epg for what appears to be east coast locals. I have not spent more than a few minutes watching it.

Maybe they realize that most of the TVE users are skipping the commercials.

By forcing consumers into their app/website/ecosystems.

We become more of a product. Currently TV delivers the same ads to everyone in a area. By us using their ecosystem they can provide targeted, custom ads and track our info on a person basis. 1 targeted add is probably worth 100 untargetted ads.

Curious if any knows if Stremium users face the same DRM issues?

I looked at Stremium briefly but the list of Providers is very short.
Did not go further.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.