Advanced Pass Frequency Limit

I would love to see a feature be added to the already fantastic advanced pass functionality. I am looking to have the ability to set a custom recording frequency that limits a certain number of recordings per chosen timeframe that matches conditions. This can be an extension to the “Limit” section, and have a variable to choose the “First, Last, Newest, Oldest” airings within.

I imagine the implementation to look like this:
Frequency [Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly], Variable [First, Last, Newest, Oldest], Quantity [1,2,3,etc.]

One of my specific use cases is with a channel whose guide data shows the same episode metadata for a lot of their shows. They air this 2-3 times per day, and every day is different. I want to record this every day, but only the first 1 time per day that matches. Currently, I have an advanced pass set up with the Title contains and Channel conditions with “Re-record deleted episodes” set to on. This records the show 2-3 times per day. The only relief I have is changing “Keep” to the last 5 to 10, but that only stores 2-4 days worth, deletes some that I haven’t watched, and I still have to delete all of the duplicates.

I would also love to use this to set up a pass that records “Die Hard” once per year at Christmas :smile: .

Thank you developers for your work and consideration.

Using creative applications of the "Time" condition, you can probably achieve this by having multiple rules (one for each of your timeframes) ... instead of having a single rule needing to match multiple and varying conditions, use multiple and varying rules that match a single condition. That way you can use the keep options and limit them to specific conditions.

I wonder if a Time CONTAINS December rule added to it would accomplish this, with a keep value of 1, and re-records of deleted.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried to use the Time condition, but have been unsuccessful using it to filter recordings. I agree this would be a good way to filter the once-per day recordings. The example program I am recording has one of the 2-3 daily airings that almost always sticks to 8:00 AM. If I were able to specify 8:00am in the filter, it would catch most airings, minus those that are moved due to special programming.

For Die Hard, the ability to input a month for the Time condition would solve this request.

Here is an example with Die Hard. There are multiple showings occurring that I should be able to filter using Time. One occurrence is this Friday at 7:00 PM. I have tried all variations of Friday 7:00pm (as it states in the prefill text box), 7:00pm, 7:00, and even 7, with no filtering results.

Time constraints are fickle. I believe the "AM/PM" must be in all caps, and without a space between the time. Give 7PM a try, instead. (I believe you can also use 19h to use a 24Hr time.)

(I would upload a screenshot showing the changes work ... but for some reason I'm having issues here.)

Thank you again for the suggestions. Here are a few more failed attempts.

Not sure why you're having different results than I am:

After seeing your results, I realized I must have a misconfiguration. My hypervisor defaults to UTC. I passed the environment var TZ=(Mine) to the docker container, and now it is properly set to EST. The Time condition is now working correctly. Thank you!

1 Like

For the sake of anyone reading this thread in the future, both 7PM and 7:00PM are correctly formatted and work.

I believe the difference is that 7:00PM will only match programs that begin on the hour, while 7PM will match any program which starts 7:00–7:59PM.

1 Like

If that show airs at the same time each day, you could add a Time CONTAINS to the pass.

For example, if it airs at 7:15AM, 11:35AM and 2:35PM
Use
Time CONTAINS 7am
to get only the first airing.

If it airs at the same times every Monday, different times every Tuesday...
Monday 7:15AM, 11:35AM and 2:35PM
Tuesday 9:30AM, 12:30PM and 4:00PM
Wednesday 8:25AM, 12:00PM and 3:15PM
Thursday 9:00AM, 11:55AM and 1:45PM
Friday 7:00AM, 9:30AM and 12:30PM
Saturday 6:00AM, 10:30AM and 1:00PM
Sunday 7:30AM, 12:45PM and 4:30PM

Use
Time CONTAINS Monday 7am
Time CONTAINS Tuesday 9am
Time CONTAINS Wednesday 8am
Time CONTAINS Thursday 9am
Time CONTAINS Friday 7am
Time CONTAINS Saturday 6am
Time CONTAINS Sunday 7am

If they don't air at the same time, you can create a pass per day and set the limit to one on each pass.
Pass for Monday only records the first airing (Limit one)
Pass for Tuesday only records the first airing (Limit one)

I just remembered that the UI doesn't have a selection for Limit 1 recording.
Rather than hack it, vote for the Feature Request Custom Pass Number for Keep/Limit like for Padding

1 Like