All UK HD streams jumping and stuttering since 6.2.7.3 firmware

Hi tmm1,

Thanks for the quick response; Yes, just tried it again to make sure.

Using Channels, Channel 4 HD right now; lots of corruption in Channels.
Same FireTV stick 4k, using the HDHomerun App; Channel 4 HD plays perfectly (same program, switched a few time to make sure it was consistent).

Happy to send anything needed ... I have an ftp where I can share recordings and film of the corruption, and happy to submit diagnostics. Let me know if you need anything and what would help.

HDHomeRun on the FTV had issues yes it reacted in a different way to Channels it just froze the picture for the duration of the glitch, but was no more watchable than Channels was.

To be honest I am that good at rolling these sticks back I can take a stick and have it like it was a month ago in about 10 minutes flat now, 25 with a fully built custom launcher and complete removal of the amazon interface.

If anyone wants to roll back let me know I will happy assist

Please submit diagnostics and send us those recordings to [email protected]

Hi @tmm1,

I have sent details via email with a video recording via mobile of the issue in Channels, and showing it working OK in HDHomeRun app. Plus the recording itself and the diagnostics submission.

Let us know if you find anything useful:-)

1 Like

Thanks. Can you also try installing the VLC app and play from your HDHR in there (under Network iirc) to see if there are any issues.

Thanks @tmm1

Tried network browsing via VLC and tried a couple of HD channels that were corrupting in Channels. All working fine in VLC with no corruption at all.

Tried Hardware Acceleration in VLC as:
Automatic: Plays perfectly
Full acceleration: Plays perfectly
Decoding acceleration: Plays with no corruption, but seems jerky; I guess it misses frames
Disabled: Plays with no corruption, but seems jerky; I guess it misses frames

I assume this means as hardware acceleration is working in VLC that this may be a bug in Channels of some sort that can hopefully be fixed?

Let me know if you need anything else; glad to help.

Thanks,

1 Like

@tmm1, any update on this issue please?

My wife is giving me serious GBH of the ear due to the stuttering using Software mode.

Need some hardware decompression in Channels back in our lives :slight_smile:

Looks like your transmitter is different than @dougie175's:

Scan type                                : MBAFF
Scan type, store method                  : Separated fields
Scan order                               : Top Field First

I'm still poking around to see if this one can be better supported.

1 Like

Thanks for trying to fix this for us it's appreciated

Uugh, MBAFF, are you an interlaced frame or are you a progressive frame?
I'll let you know when you decode me.
Yet another complicated way to reduce bandwidth for encoded video.

Thanks all. I'm sure it must be possible to fix the support for MBAFF Interlaced, as it plays fine in VLC. Remember this also worked OK on the old firmware, so somehow the amazon firmware 'fix' has broken Channels support for this format. Perhaps Channels had a 'fix' in for the broken firmware, and that just needs removing now Amazon have fixed it? (Wishful thinking for an easy solution on my part perhaps!)

Out of curiosity, have you tried fixing the resolution in the Fire TV? Perhaps to 720p? Or maybe 1080p if its autodetecting 4K? Does this allow 'Software' to cope in the mean time?

EDIT: Nope. Thankfully I only have 1 of these 4K sticks, all of my others are Fire TV Cubes (which run FireOS 7.x, but I still need to use software decoding although it does work without an issue on that hardware).

I was curious to know which version this appeared in, but couldn't find anything conclusive.

So...I tried downgrading Channels DVR App on the Stick rather than messing around with the Stick firmware, so far (in very limited testing) it seems to allow 'Software' to run without the stalls. Using version v2.1.27 from APKPure.com

Hardware seems to give me a black screen, with only audio, the majority of the time. Occasionally it works. Perhaps this is because its an actual Android version, rather than FireTV version?

EDIT: Perhaps I got lucky, seen a few minor stalls/frame drop, but it doesn't seem to be as prevalent as the current version from the Amazon App Store. Will test more later, perhaps it's just one of those programmes where it isn't apparent....but pretty much everything did it yesterday on the Amazon current version.

UPDATE: Definitely much better on the 2.1.x version, not sure if this is because the app places less of a strain on the CPU, so more overhead for software decoding, but it's certainly watchable with software decoding. App version 3.x from the Amazon store really wasn't.

@tmm1 did you find any solution for this problem please?

I tried lowering the resolution to 1080P as @imx suggested, but the result is still stuttering. Wouldn't be a permanent fix anyway as I also use the FireTV for Netflix\Prime\Disney which all do 4k without issues.
Probably worse than the stuttering is the sync between audio and video in software decoding; it is really bad; the audio is at least half a second if not more out from the picture, really distracting. Audio in other apps is perfect so not my setup. I tried all the usual suggestions; enable/disable surround sound; makes no difference it just appears to be the software decoding causes sync issues between sound/video.

Praying to the software gurus at Channels for some help in getting this hardware decoding issue resolved so I can again enjoy my Channels, which for the most part has been rock solid and trounces other software DVR's I have tried previously.

Thanks,

1 Like

@tmm1 @maddox How do I escalate this issue please? It's now been 26 days and I have provided all assistance requested some time ago, but this thread has gone quiet with no progress.

Just for clarity: I am still experiencing this issue and need resolution. Hardware decoding severely corrupts on HD streams. Software encoding is inadequate; jumpy, occasional colour issues and the sound is out of sync with the picture. Right now I have a sub-par Channels, that does not offer a good viewing experience. Were I a potential customer trying out the software, it wouldn't be a sale as for me it is currently not fit for purpose. However I am an existing, paying, customer and thus need the software quality resolved and returned to what I have been used to; I know its possible!

Please could I have a response advising what will be done and when, and anything I can do to assist with this urgent matter.

Thank you.

1 Like

I'd just like to wade in...

It's deeply disappointing how this is being handled - I get that the team is predominantly (All?) in the US and that they're predominantly Apple based, but loss of such core functionality, on a device that is as popular as this.... when people, i.e us as customers, have shown faith in supporting their project/business.... Meanwhile, they roll out 'new' things (Pi images, etc) whilst showing utter contempt to those of us that this issue impacts.

Does make me question whether I should start looking for alternatives, because this shows how vulnerable we are. I'm an all-Apple chap myself, but I just cannot stand the AppleTV - FireTV integrates so much better with all house automation and in my opinion is functionally superior.

Should something like this impact the rest of my devices, FireTV Cubes, I would have no option within days but to look at alternatives. Changing all the hardware is not an option, changing the DVR would be... so perhaps I need to make sure I have a backup.

1 Like

You're forgetting the root of this issue is that Amazon changed something in their firmware update that broke hardware decoding. Your ire should be directed at them, who as a massive multinational corporation, has far more resources to fix the things they broke.

Instead, you're blaming the small team trying to work around Amazon's error and deliver software to their users. Perhaps you should contact Amazon support and ask why they haven't fixed their software, no?

2 Likes

This firmware issue affects the MTK chipset in the 4K Stick. It has nothing to do with the FireTV cube, which is based on completely different hardware.

The firmware on the 4K Stick has been buggy since the day it was released, and it took Amazon almost a year to release this "fixed" firmware.

I would very much like to fix this problem, but my time is limited and my efforts so far have not been fruitful. Your best option for now may be to rollback the firmware like @dougie175 did.

Thanks @imx for the support I couldn't agree more.
@racameron I get where you are coming from; yes Amazon's fixed firmware; which fixed issues by the way, has had the knock on effect of causing this problem with Channels.
If you read above through the thread, you will see this has already been raised with Amazon, however they point at Channels as the problem. And it is Channels that has the problem. All other video playing apps, VLC included, worked both before and since the firmware change by Amazon.

This is a problem with the Channels software; a bug. VLC can play it; Channels should be able to.
Whilst typing this I finally see a response from a developer, thanks @tmm1 but 23 days with no reply is completely unacceptable for me as a paying customer. Your response also does not give me any hope of a fix.
VLC can play it without issue, and that is Open Source. Surely you can take the Open Source Code and get this fixed? It's not a bug with Amazon Firmware, its a bug in Channels.
Disney+, Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Plex, Youtube, BBC iplayer, All 4, ITV player and no doubt many more, they all play all sorts of video formats without issue.
VLC and HDHomerun play the very same streams that Channels should be able to, without issue.
There is no doubt whatsoever that this is an issue with Channels.

So, @tmm1 please let me, the paying customer, know:
Can this be fixed
And if so, when?

If I had a viable alternate I would be using it right now, in fact the long lack of reply has forced me to re-set up Plex DVR earlier today. Time will tell if that's improved from its buggy mess when I tried it a year or so ago. If it's reliable, then that might make me switch away from Channels. But I don't want to. I love Channels. It's simplicity. Rock solid reliability. It never misses a recording. It's user friendly. It's powerful. It automatically doesn't record programs you have seen already. Regular updates. These and probably more make it a killer app. But not if I can't play stuff on it! So please, lets get this fixed @tmm1. Pull other developers in if needed. Speak with HDHomerun, speak with VLC. The answers are out there. I eagerly await a more positive response than the one above.

1 Like

Hardware still doesn't work on the Cube, I have to use software for some HD channels... but presumably software can cope, processor wise.