ALPHA: Import TV local content into DVR

Curious for the Shows or Episodes I can't find on zap2it where to get the TMS ID's.
Does your Gracenote/TMS API allow you to discover those not found on zap2it?

Myself, I've been capturing the SHow and EPisode ID's lately (been adding them to the MCEBUDDY json metadata) as it seems even some recently recorded things can't be found with a search on zap2it.

I have recordings made years ago on TiVo's (when they used gracenote) that have the gracenote/tms id's in the recording metadata extracted with kmttg, but searching zap2it for those shows yields no results.

I have the same question. What do we do when zap2it just doesn't find the TV Show or Movie? I have double checked these same ones on TMDB and TVDB and they can be found there. I have a few in this categorie. For example, there are 10 different Minion movie shorts. Zap2it will find about 3 or 4 or them but the others it can't find them. I have the TV Show "Wayne" that I can't find and some other examples.

I believe the developers have previously posted that they might be looking into alternative sources for metadata for imported content. This is not yet available, and when it is, they will announce it.

1 Like

Thanks. That would be good. I know this is a WIP and still not even in Beta. However, sometimes with all these threads I miss some little post about how to do it.

I'm missing something obvious here.. I renamed and reorganised a large TV Series.. It added all the episodes again so the episode count doubled. I then deleted the series and emptied trash and added it back. It then tripled the number of episodes.. Pressing prune deleted didn't make any difference. What have I missed?

Also, to update to beta versions within an Unraid docker is it ok to do it within the docker by pressing and holding the update button? I was always under the impression that you should not update dockers from within the docker itself...

Cheers!

EDIT: hmm.. I updated from within the docker and it seems to have fixed itself. Maybe I was just a little impatient!

With Channels DVR Server running in a docker, you have to give it a local machine directory (mount) to store its executables and data in. Those get downloaded and populated when you first install Channels DVR Server from the running docker image. So the running docker image doesn't actually get updated when you update your Channels DVR Server version to a new release or pre-release version. The updated executables are stored on your local machine in the mapped mount directory. The Channels DVR Server docker image basically jump starts itself by running its code in a mounted volume/directory you defined that gets populated by a download from the mother ship when first installed and when it's updated.

1 Like

Wondering if anyone has been able to correctly import the original Doctor who episodes (pre 2005). Followed a few naming standards but haven't cracked the correct one. I have some full episodes ( ie one file for all of "Robots of Death" and some broken into into their 20 minutes mini episodes. Many thanks

Try typing in SH000013010000 and see if that gives you what you're looking for. I just went to zap2it and looked up Doctor Who and this is the one that came back that is the original series.

Is there a way to keep recordings and imported media separated?

1 Like

I'm not sure what you mean be "separated" but in terms of browsing via the library in the client apps, no. We consider all these sources as ways to fill your library.

If you're talking about managing them, we're working on a new management UX that was the old Recordings tab in the web admin. This will provide ways to split your library up in different ways in order to manage them.

3 Likes

Is there a change log for the alpha/beta versions?

I like to follow progress!

No. You basically have to follow the forums to get any sense of what changes in the pre-releases. Changelogs are posted for each stable release.

There have been statements to the effect that this situation will not change.

Oh, ok! Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Starting with v2021.02.24.2307, imported videos which have been sent to Trash will be deleted off of the disk when the Trash is cleaned out. This fixes the issue where deleting an imported video would make it reappear after a few days (when it got scanned in again).

1 Like

I sure hope you can turn that off to not delete imported but still delete recordings.... if not that is one feature I will not be using. I sure would hate to lose all my Star Trek shows and Playon shows... removing them now.

Do lots of random people have access to your DVR? Or who are you afraid is going to delete them? The files are not deleted right away, and will sit in Trash for up to 10 days based on your settings.

If you're really that concerned, you can also just mark all the files as read-only and then no program can delete them ever..

My DVR is a household DVR many users ... I rather just not use that feature if there is a chance that a client can delete my collection. Not worth the risk.

Sounds good.

One more thing I need clarified that means that Playon Cloud can also be deleted ? by any Client ?

Oh boy.. thatā€™s gonna make me go back to Plex. Iā€™ve just switched to Channels for imported stuff, but donā€™t want to risk my kids deleting things. Having to keep an eye on trash isnā€™t a good idea - I wouldnā€™t notice if an episode got deleted or something.

My imported stuff is stuff I keep and would delete from my server manually if needed. Recordings we delete after watching.

Read only is not an option either, because I automate some of my renaming and storage.