Android/FireTV ATSC 3.0 no sound during recording playback

Is anyone else experiencing issues viewing Channel recordings on an android platform, FireTV, Google made from an HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0?

My setup: I have the FireTV and Google pendant plugged into the HDMI Yamaha amp. No sound issues using Netflix, Apple, Hulu, You Tube, or Prime, but when playing a Channels recording (ABC News HD from HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0 unit, SE Michigan). The best scenario is that after selecting the recording and then ‘Watch’ the picture starts immediately but the sound takes about 5 seconds to begin. Most of the time no sound is played. I assume Channels is either not detecting or not sending the correct sound decoder details to the Amp. The recording will play correctly if you exit the Channels app go to the FireTV or Google device settings, and clear/delete all App data/cache then return to Channels. So far this action enables the sound to play on the Amp 100% of the time. Note, after limited testing I’ve also discovered if you turn off the surround sound option in the Channels playback settings, or play the sound through the TV, not the Amp, the sound also plays correctly.

Here in Dallas, the Fox ATSC3.0 channel has an extremely low volume level using Channels on Android and FireTV devices. But I get good volume using my Sony TV's ATSC3.0 tuner and the Silicon Dust HDHomerun apps. I do not use any external sound devices, but see the problem on three different TV's with multiple streaming devices. I am not overly concerned yet about the sound issue, since I still have access to ATSC1.0 channels. Hopefully before I really need ATSC3.0 signals, the Channels app will be able to handle ATSC3.0 audio so it works correctly on our devices.

Update: My wife has discovered that playing a recording from another channel (CBS 62.1) for a few seconds and then playing the ATSC 3.0 ABC 107.1 News HD. The sound plays, so far, every time. This solution is much easier than clearing the App data and may point the development team to a solution. :slight_smile:

same problem here with Amazon Fire Cube - HDHomerun ATSC 3.0. Other recordings (streaming channels or non ATSC 3.0 channels still fine). Hope we get an answer before all goes ATSC 3.

Try changing your playback encoding, probably to hardware, but maybe to software, it depends on your client, your server, and a host of other potential factors. Most likely, hybrid is no longer viable. It is all trial and error, so I don't have a guide to help decide which is best for you. You'll have to make the change and then test the 3.0 stations, then a regular 1.0, then other stuff and recording and whatnot to make sure you haven't broken anything.

Also consider turning off surround sound. On my devices, I've found a combination of Hardware Encoding and turning off surround sound has resolved pretty much all of my audio and video issues.

I don't think it will matter much if Channels isn't able to get a solution to DRM. If Silicon Dust is able to get it's HDHomerun Flex units NextGenTV certified, then many of us may need to switch to their app sometime in the future. Hope that is not the case, but we just don't know yet.

If SD gets it working on their app, then there is a pretty good probability that HDMI for Channels could already be a solution:

And that's all I'm going to say about DRM in this thread. I'm begging everyone to not turn every single discussion into a DRM one as there are already dozens of threads to reply to concerning that. This thread is about troubleshooting sound issues for 3.0 stations on Android/FireTV clients.

You've most likely got at least 10 years.