Any chance for Pluto TV as a provider

have you tried the new fake HDHR that was created for a bunch of different sources? there's one for pluto:

i'm planning to give it a shot at some point, but i just haven't gotten to it yet. i am using the locast implementation though to get locast into channels with the correct OTA channel numbers, and it has been working very well. some minor issues that i've worked out with the dev over the past week, he's very responsive on github.

can confirm that fhdhr_plutotv does work, at least for getting the streams into channels. i literally just set it up in about five minutes (although it might be a little easier for me since i was already using the same core for locast, for others there might be a bit of a learning curve).

the only thing i'm unsure of (perhaps someone else can chime in) is how to get any kind of guide for pluto into channels dvr, since they're not real channels...thoughts?

1 Like

I use webgrabplus to scrape the guide, and then import that guide data into xTeVe which Channels can then use. I've been unsuccessful at getting Telly to play without crashing on commercials, and now i am about to try fHDHR/fHDHR_PlutoTV since this could be the solution I've been looking for.

how do you get the guide into channels, though? has something changed that will allow you to pick it, or will allow channels to import it? i've never been able to get channels to accept an attached xmltv guide...

You should be able to select a custom xml for the tuner, but there were times I was unable to select this as an option and the only solution I found was to reinstall Channels.

What's the secret for getting it added as a source? I have it running....can access the http server in the browser, and can play streams via vlc. But Channels doesn't find anything trying to add a source (auto or manual).

I just set up a brand new channels server and still don't have that option. the only option I have in adding a guide is searching by zip code and picking from a drop down box.

I added it manually. make sure you put the IP address and port number when adding.

i.e. 192.168.1.100:5004

that should just work, it has for me.

Now I remember the issue was that the name of the telly tuner was set to telly, and after I changed it to hdhomerun or something like that then channels gave me the option for custom xml.

Ahh....the add source doesn't mention needing the port number....

A couple of quick observations....

I already experienced the random channel tune both while viewing and at the initial tune. I'm wondering if the fact that the channel sort is alpha instead of numeric is somehow confusing things.

The ini options to set the manufacturer, model don't appear to be working (tried both in [fhdhr] and [dev]) as the doc is a bit confusing.

Last, since Windows is broken (I tried that install first), I can report that it works fine under WSL1
running Ubuntu 18.04. I did need to update the python3 level for this distribution and add psutil >=5.7.0 (maybe another requirement?)

Going to git clone and start poking around.....this has a lot of promise!

that's kinda helpful but not really without knowing exactly what to change it to lol..."or something like that" doesn't really help. any chance you can you be more specific?

it's pretty much flawless in a docker container, that's how i have mine running. both locast and pluto (although i'm not using pluto a whole lot until we figure out the whole random channel thing) are in separate containers on the same server channels is (which is also in a docker container). it's so wonderful to have the actual OTA channel numbers again instead of having to remember that channel 2 was actually 5900, channel 11 was actually 5915, etc...

Just an FYI.....was doing a little 'browsing' and found that Pluto has an api to pull their guide data.... This was my test to pull 6 hours of data. From what I understand its a max of 12 hours data, but may be less.

https://api.pluto.tv/v2/channels.json?start=2020-11-14T18:00:00.000Z&stop=2020-11-15T00:00:00.000Z

1 Like

After looking at my server I can tell you that I was able to select the custom XML guide data after changing my Telly tuner configuration so the tuner name in Channels shows HDTC-2US (10000010)
For anyone interested the following is part of my Telly config file

########################################################################
[Discovery] # most likely you won't need to change anything here
Device-Auth = "Telly10" # These settings are all related to how telly identifies
Device-ID = "10000010" # itself to Plex.
Device-UUID = "10000001"
Device-Firmware-Name = "1065223A"
Device-Firmware-Version = "20200907"
Device-Friendly-Name = "HDTC-2US"
Device-Manufacturer = "Silicondust"
Device-Model-Number = "HDTC-2US"
SSDP = false

1 Like

thanks! I'll give that a shot!

that's probably where fhdhr is pulling it from...

no luck.

i wish one of the devs would chime in here and let us know if this is possible or not (clearly seems it is), and if so how to make it work...i mean at this point, there's no reason not to allow us to add a source with our own guide.

in the past, i've been told "there's no valid use case for that." that's clearly no longer the case.

I guess based on post #321 in the Telly thread, it's not worthwhile to spend any more time on an fHDHR solution....waiting to see what the developers have in mind.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Add Pluto with Custom Channels