Anyone have any "live" HDR sources going through channels?

Given my current setup, I'm not sure if this will ever happen (Spectrum has shown no initiative in live 4K, and TVE is nonexistent), but i want to be prepared.

What I'm mainly interested in is how the big live sources (FOX/FS1, ESPN, NBC) are handled, at the moment.

In short - the Apple TV's handling of "live" HDR (mostly HLG-based) has been @%#$^#$%!5$#$% since the beginning, and I am hoping Channels either helps this, or we can use the resources in the app to help fix Apple's handling of HLG. I would do it myself, but I'm lacking the content. Hoping others here have something to provide examples with.

Nobody? Really?

AFAIK, there is no live HDR content anywhere right now, atleast not in a way that can be fed into Channels.

What about Frontier / FIOS with a CC? I thought that, at least, was a possibility.

They do one or two 4K broadcasts every year. I don't know if they're HDR though.

Hmmm - i thought they would have more. Sigh.

I was hoping to back-door into figuring out why the ATV4k doesn't switch HDR automatically for live content apps, and i figured channels would give me the best avenue to get into the nitty-gritty.

We have a FTA channel called “4K1 via Hot Bird” or something like that, I believe it’s setup as some sort of test/demonstration channel by the operator of the Hotbird satellites as it only really airs beautiful scenic videos like the sort you’d expect to see on TV’s in stores.

Anyway, it broadcasts in 4K HLG and it plays smoothly via Channels on an ATV4Kv1.

That said, we have some other 4K channels which playback as smoothly as a toolbox crashing down some stairs. :man_shrugging::sweat_smile:

Excellent!

Understood that this channel may "work," but I'm most interested in the HDR, and what setup you're using.

1. Do you have DV or HDR "enabled" full-time? Or, do you have SDR full time?
  2. Assuming you have SDR full-time, and match dynamic range/rate, does HDR automatically trigger?

Thanks for getting back!

I have the ATV to output HDR all the time, probably doesn’t do much good for content which is only SDR.

I have mine set to SDR and match content and frame rate is on. Works perfect all the time. Hdr works great, never had an issue. Make sure your TV input is set up for it though.

Yes, but on what content?

The issue I'm trying to tackle - the "pre-recorded" sources (Amazon, AppleTV+, HBO Max, etc) all work, as you describe.

What hasn't worked consistently is "live" sources (YoutubeTV, Fubo, Fox App, etc). @Wildern hints to this - having HDR on "all the time" helps, but there isn't a good reason why the HDR switch shouldn't fire for these, like the non-live sources.

If you have this working on live content, I'm interested in what works, to help troubleshoot.

My setup works great watching the fox sports app when there is 4k hdr football content on. The mode switches just fine. I don't run hdr all the time becuase I don't think the ui looks good in that mode. Plus 99% of the content is SDR so I figure why lock the ATV in a mode that is hardly ever used. Not sure what else to say on this one, it just works for me without any hassle.

Hmmm - what is your "base" setting? I use 4K SDR, but I'm guessing maybe you're 1080p SDR?

nah 4k SDR

Sorry, I forgot to reply here.

what's your video chain? Wondering if something is throwing out the HLG, which is making this work.

i.e. I'm ATV 4K (2021) --> Denon X2400H --> Hisense H9G

So mine is appletv -> sony xbr55x900h -> HDMI eArc to Marantz NR1710.
I tried to connect directly to the Marantz with the ATV. the issue was the video mode switching didn't work properly. The marantz and my TV have eArc so it behaves much better than traditional arc. No problems with Atmos audio etc. I also have no issues with AC4 audio from ATSC 3 stations.

Very interesting, seeing as a Denon is in the chain for me, and similarly breaks (and they're both the same manufacturer). We're onto something here!

Any way you can get a diagnostics run with the denon in chain, and trying to tune a live 4K HDR broadcast, over to the devs? I have a feeling it will be more fruitful than any other means.

I can't get 4KHDR live broadcasts through channels though.