Apple TV questions. vs Android TV (Shield) experiences

http://atv.ip.add.ress:57000/speedtest

For some reason it’s not loading when I try it now… I know this has worked for me in the past..

I mean the Test speed to channel sever option in the Channels app.
I find it on Android TV app, but not Apple.

Also, that url does not load anything for me.

The Channels app must be active. For security reasons, inactive/background apps cannot be directly accessed IIRC.

Yeah mine is up and running but it won’t load for me. Perhaps I have the wrong address, I’ll double check.

Do not see a Test speed to server option in the Channels app.
On Android tv it is under Support < Test speed to server.

I don’t think the speed test has ever been in the menu for Apple TV, only via the URL.

Well thats dumb. There is a Test Surround sound option instead, which would be nice to have on Android too.
Maybe some technical limitation as to why they do not have it in the app on Apple?

I’m an idiot. Channels wasn’t running after all. I need more sleep. It loads fine once I fixed my brain fart.

Ah. After a couple min, the url link works.

Apple TV:

Shield:

Curious, the Apple TV is show slightly higher speeds with that.
But again, that has nothing do due with what it pulls from the Internet side of things.
But, at least, yes, know I know that it is pulling full gig speed local lan side.

thanks for that link.
they really should have the speed test option show in the app.

2 Likes

With the client running, open a browser on your server or any other wired system on your LAN. Then go to

http://<ip of client running channels>:57000/speedtest

This tests the speed your lan can send to the ATV. Which, essentially is the max downstream for the device using the internal network. And the ATV gigabit port should see all connections as if they were LAN-to-LAN because once a WAN connection passes through NAT on the router, it becomes the same as LAN-to-LAN. (ie: the ATV doesn't have anything extra to process for WAN-to-LAN. Only the router is doing extra work).

Router is not showing any "extra work" with HWoffload, such routing does not peg the cpu at all. Same test, on both devices, on same network hardware, should yield the same results. they do not. All my other computers and devices show same figures as the Shield.

Anyway, the fact remains that an Internet speed test based test show lower downstream throughput on the Apple TV vs the Shield. Don't know why. Tested on 3 other different networks by now, each with different network hardware and ISPs. Same results...Apple TV is pulling down slower. Maybe its some thing in their OS that throttles it, or the Speed test app itself(though I tried a few other apps, similar results.)...no idea.
It not a big deal. Just its what it does for me. Done everything else i can think of to prove other wise.

Channels speedtest for Android TV, Fire TV and Apple TV https://getchannels.com/docs/getting-started/faqs/channels-apps/#how-can-i-test-the-network-speed-at-my-tv

Channels speedtest for iOS/iPadOS Channels app speedtest with iOS app?

More ridiculousness. lol
So many extra steps on Apple to do something simple vs one click on Android.
Not surprising to me.

Would like to hear from the devs why they have a sound test in the settings on Apple TV, and not Android TV, but have speed test on Android TV and not Apple Tv.

I also just noticed how the upper part of the home screen, when u select a app in the dock, will show you shows or content relating to the app.

For Channels, it show ON NOW, and i can scroll over as alike to the Quick Guide in the app it slef. This is nice. I can view what is on without even opening the app.

Android TV, on the Shield anyways, has a home screen banner "Channel" that does show a line of icons that is the On now for Channels, but it does not update unless you open the app and open the guide then close out again. That has been a issue since day 1 of me first using channels.

If only there was a Dark / Black and transparent Theme for the TVos version of Channels.
The user that makes the Carbon theme modded app can only do so for Android.

There also is a system level option for sound on Apple TV, Reduce Loud sounds. it seems to be automatic volume leveling. That would be nice to have on the Shield for lat night use, but that seems to be a Apple TVos thing only.
Maybe if the Shield ever gets updated to v10 os, that might be a system feature.

Network Speedtest for Android TV is the best one I've found on the Play Store.

I find Speed Test WiFi Analayzer by analiti the quite informative
but it does not indicate what and where the sever it uses is.
and it tests slower than the ookula test app, i am guessing it is using a much farther away server,

also has tools, like iperf3 client and server, and wifi analytics, network device scanner, etc.

EDIT: Just tried that app you mentioned. and it sucks. Looks like a clone of the official ookla speedtest.net app in many ways, same icons and UI. Even has same server selections
but it tests about 260megs download on my shield, and ookla tests 950+ using same server.

Care to share the apk for what you're using? If I remember correctly, when I sideloaded it, it was still in phone mode, so I just went with what the play store had.

yes it does act like its a phone and is stuck in portrait.

I used a app backup app on my phone to backup the .apk, then just transfered it to the Shield.

To use it on the Shield, you need a mouse.. the secondary usb remote i use on my Shield had a gyro powered air mouse feature.

there is probably a way or app modd/clone software to mod the speedtest app to make it use android tv UI mode ...but i never tried to mess with that.

3 Likes

Is this on the table to be adjusted for the Android tv app?
I also notice the Guide page when u move over a program block, the description is much longer on Apple TV. The same program on Android TV is not even a proper sentence for the episode description at the top of the page.