Apple TV questions. vs Android TV (Shield) experiences

I also just noticed how the upper part of the home screen, when u select a app in the dock, will show you shows or content relating to the app.

For Channels, it show ON NOW, and i can scroll over as alike to the Quick Guide in the app it slef. This is nice. I can view what is on without even opening the app.

Android TV, on the Shield anyways, has a home screen banner "Channel" that does show a line of icons that is the On now for Channels, but it does not update unless you open the app and open the guide then close out again. That has been a issue since day 1 of me first using channels.

If only there was a Dark / Black and transparent Theme for the TVos version of Channels.
The user that makes the Carbon theme modded app can only do so for Android.

There also is a system level option for sound on Apple TV, Reduce Loud sounds. it seems to be automatic volume leveling. That would be nice to have on the Shield for lat night use, but that seems to be a Apple TVos thing only.
Maybe if the Shield ever gets updated to v10 os, that might be a system feature.

Network Speedtest for Android TV is the best one I've found on the Play Store.

I find Speed Test WiFi Analayzer by analiti the quite informative
but it does not indicate what and where the sever it uses is.
and it tests slower than the ookula test app, i am guessing it is using a much farther away server,

also has tools, like iperf3 client and server, and wifi analytics, network device scanner, etc.

EDIT: Just tried that app you mentioned. and it sucks. Looks like a clone of the official ookla speedtest.net app in many ways, same icons and UI. Even has same server selections
but it tests about 260megs download on my shield, and ookla tests 950+ using same server.

Care to share the apk for what you're using? If I remember correctly, when I sideloaded it, it was still in phone mode, so I just went with what the play store had.

yes it does act like its a phone and is stuck in portrait.

I used a app backup app on my phone to backup the .apk, then just transfered it to the Shield.

To use it on the Shield, you need a mouse.. the secondary usb remote i use on my Shield had a gyro powered air mouse feature.

there is probably a way or app modd/clone software to mod the speedtest app to make it use android tv UI mode ...but i never tried to mess with that.

3 Likes

Is this on the table to be adjusted for the Android tv app?
I also notice the Guide page when u move over a program block, the description is much longer on Apple TV. The same program on Android TV is not even a proper sentence for the episode description at the top of the page.