ATSC 3.0 jittery

It is unwatchable on firetv even with surround turned off and set to hardware. It is even noticeably jittery on my shield pro with surround on, and that’s a strong processor. In every case, the hdhomerun app works great without jitter. What’s going on here? I can find posts back 3 years ago talking about this problem. This is a channels problem.

1 Like
  1. Please submit logs
  2. If you can send devs sample video thats jittering it can sometimes help
  3. You said you tried hardware decoder on firetv. Did you also try on shield did you try hardware/software & hybrid
  4. i have no other trouble shooting tips

ATSC 3.0 is still in beta so playing problems are expected. I stopped using ATSC 3.0 in Channels.

PS the HDHomeRun app transcodes AC4 on some devices in the cloud. Channels DVR does not.

From Nick ...

The HDHomeRun app uses the AC4 support that is built into the player device. If there is no AC4 support the HDHomeRun app falls back to using our cloud transcode service which transcodes to stereo audio. This thread discusses player devices with built in AC4 support (which reminds me I should edit the first post and add player devices that have been released more recently with AC4 support).

List of Supported devices - Silicondust

3 Likes

Try using software encoding. It frequently works better than hardware for Android devices such as the FireTV

I, too, have given up on ATSC 3.0. Playback was very problematic on some of the channels not to mention 3 of the 5 went DRM. F 'em.

Unfortunately the reception on the ‘normal’ channel isn’t very good, which is why I hoped this atsc 3 channel would be the answer. I am disappointed that, for a service we pay for, that they seem to have made little progress on this issue for many years. The ‘beta’ label doesn’t offer consolidation, particularly when other services (HDhomerun) provide the ability to play it without issue. I’ve also seen other shortfalls in this software that are not being addressed, but I don’t want to go off-topic in this post.

Is your FireTV on the approved list to handle AC4 without cloud transcoding see silicondust link above.

It is extremely difficult to fine tune a software for every possible scenario.
ATSC3.0 rollout and setups can vary slightly from market to market.
And they are still in flux.
ATSC3.0 is very much a BETA in of it self. Not just "beta" in Channels DVR but in other softwares.

As mentioned already, HDHR has cloud based things that assist with troublesome markets and devices.

When one user reports issues in their market, the devs can tweak things in Channels DVR to address that, but then, that tweak can have adverse effects some other user in a different market.

It is mostly a waste of time and resources, at present, to dedicate much to the 3.0, not until the markets stabilize and become more consistent.

I have had minimal issues, of late, with 3.0 and Channels in my market.
The main issues i suffer with are issues directly with the networks broadcast (PBS been having issues for a while).
Occasionally, a 3.0 channel will fail to tune in Channels, but that is due to slow lock on certain channels in my market. Perhaps Channels DVR could wait a tad longer, or retry more. But, again, its my market and that specific station that does it.

Ultimately though, with the way things are looking, ATSC 3.0 may become useless to Channels DVR and other software, as many networks want to enable DRM to control users ability to record and timeskip etc.

1 Like

You may want to consider AppleTV. I started with the Shield and quickly dumped it for ATV for a number of reasons including ATSC3. That content played fine (that isn't DRM'd)

Actually they have made progress at least for my ATSC3.0 channels. I didn't have any sound and tuning could take 10 or more seconds if you were lucky.

Now with my Firestick Max V2 devices, I still get some frame drops. But with my Shield and Sony Google TV, I get no frame drops at all. I still get good ATSC1.0 reception so I don't waste my time with ATSC 3.0 anymore, since the broadcasters are still committed to deploying DRM.

I think LG removing Nextgen TV tuners from their televisions going forward was a shot across the bow to the powers that be that are trying to implement it. Hopefully other big names in the TV market follow suit.

Lon.tv did a recent video following up on the mess that the patent lawyers have caused.

I don't blame companies that have hit the brakes on further ATSC 3.0 development.

[edit] Not to mention the whole "using my airwaves to dictate to me how I timeshift your media" thing.

3 Likes

See:

If HDHR app's system of sending audio to the cloud for conversion is working for you, then you should use that.

1 Like