ATSC 3.0 question

They'll be over 100 and you will also see HEVC in the hdhomerun web interface

Thanks for the over 100 confirmation. I haven't found the HEVC yet but I will look for it.

The HDHOMERUN web page http://my.hdhomerun.com

I had not noticed the HEVC notation on the HDHR page.

Corresponds with the “over-100” channel numbers as expected.

In Dallas my HDHR scan shows that there are four HEVC over-100 channels: FOX and three Spanish language stations.

I get a lot of spinning and “reconnecting”, but no reception on any of them with my SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDFX-4K.

My third floor rooftop antenna brings in 100/100 signals for the major and minor ATSC1 channels most of the time. Occasionally drops to 95s. FOX ATSC1 shows 99/99. (Signal GH app)

Maybe still too soon for ATSC3.

Thanks.

Have you tried tuning them using the HDHomeRun APP. ?

HDHomeRun app returns: Unable to play channel: No Video Data

Other channels work as expected.

You need to post on the Silicondust site.

What device(s) are you using to try and play the ATSC3 signal? The device must support HEVC and AC-4. Best device for test is a new phone like iphone 12 or galaxy/note 20. They all support it and will have a HDHR app so you can confirm Channels DVR software isn't the issue.

We've just released a fix for the software encoder to convert from HEVC to H.264:

We're still working on getting various hardware encoders in line.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem to work software and 4MB
Logs have been submitted as 0b5b46f7-ecc5-49a2-a8c0-3728d0eba6a8

It's working for me in web browser. I also tried 720p 4mbps and it works.

@Eric will this allow for better commercial detection with comskip for atsc 3.0 recordings? Right now it's about 50% for me.

No, I wouldn’t expect it to impact the commercial detection. We’ll have to look into that separately.

@eric I'm guessing it would at least help with the manual commercial override in the webui? Right now it doesn't work becuase the webui can't play hevc recordings.

@Rice Thanks for letting us know. We'll have to do more investigation to see why some work but others don't.

@slampman nothing about the commercial detection and editing have anything to do with our transcoding pipeline, so these things will end up being unrelated.

I’m seeing my recordings are not detecting commercials for the HeVC channels. Also the sound is really low, I have to triple the sound level on my devices when watching those channels

I notice the Volume is not low when using the HDHomeRun app but is really low In channels.

1 Like

ATSC 3 seems to be in the “experimental” stage at this point. In my market we have 4 stations using it. None of them have 5.1 sound and even the stereo sound is funky on two of them. I also gave up on recording from them because the commercial detection is just is not reliable yet. Breaks get missed or the algorithm thinks the commercial is in the middle of the show. Not a ding on Channels, I think it’s just early in the debugging of this new tech and making all the various platforms and software reliable. Saw the same thing when HD tv rolled out. Give it time. That is why the ATSC 1 signals are still there.

1 Like

A followup...

Over the weekend I was able to get Dallas FOX 104.1 HEVC (presumably ATSC3) to play in Channels DVR on all devices: iMac M1, iPad Pro M1, Apple TV 4k (2nd) and iPhone Xs.

The picture quality 1280x720 appeared same as Dallas FOX 4 (ATSC1). iPad stats from Channels DVR appeared to be the same, data flows similar, but with the notation “hwdec: videotoolbox” in the 104.1 version.