ATSC 3.0 Transition information

I cut the cord in 2007 or so. Just watched Lon on Lon.tv on YouTube go through his mother's cable bill and through most of the video I was simply amazed at the garbage they charge her for.

About 7 minutes in he mentions broadcast fees, I guess "NextgenTV" will simply be an addition to the $14 billion dollars the cable industry rakes in annually.

I got rid of my Cable Boxes a long time ago no need for them as XFINITY Stream works great on FireTV and Android Boxes. Also, I have 2 Cable cards (Prime units) which they do not even charge me for them... So my XFINITY Bill is on par with the Streaming Services plus I get a lot more channels plus ShowTime and HBO.

So no way I am cutting the cord as I see Streaming Services keep raising their Prices.

1 Like

Interesting article.

I didn't know that the EW Scripps Company had bought Nuvyyo, the company behind Tablo.

5 Likes

As far as I'm concerned, IF they continue on encrypting ATSC 3.0 on this rollout, I hope it fails miserably.

2 Likes

Yeah, I went from being really excited about ATSC 3.0, to dreading it, pretty darn quickly.

9 Likes

Yeah, read the last post in this thread, and 3.0 DRM and total replacement of 1.0 is the death of Channels DVR as a solution for ATSC 3.0 OTA tv anyway. DRM Support - #60 by wallybarthman

Luckily, that's many years down the road, and maybe never.

2 Likes

I just wanna be able to pay a reasonable price for “a la carte” out of market NFL games for my favorite team. I dont care if it is 4k or not.

I too was excited and purchased a 4k flex to future proof.

The filing is dated March 6, so this just happened.

[edit] Also read the sale was only $14 million? That surprised me.

I wouldn't go that far, TV Everywhere support has been a gamechanger. I'd still be able to use Channels DVR even if I lost the OTA antenna due to DRM. I used TVE that way exclusively for over a year. Hopefully ATSC 1.0 stays around for long time though, even if the transition takes very many years, because I'm happy with how things are working now. From the sounds of it, all ATSC 3.0 will result in, is more restrictions and hassle for the viewers. And with that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the beancounters try dismantling TV Everywhere, next. [sigh]

2 Likes

This :point_up_2:

1 Like

Well, that's a good point! I also use it that way for many channels. So, there's that going on for it...

Sadly this might be the case for me. Without OTA it forces me into higher tier cost for TVE. If OTA stopped tomorrow. I would cancel Channels DVR. Signup for hulu live and go back to PLEX for my local content.

The integration of TVE+OTA is what got me to buy CDVR. Channels has added lots of awesome features. (Favorite feature is virtual channels). But without that integration idk.

I hope DRM gets dropped in atsc 3.0 or the roll out takes several years and my ATSC 1.0 still works.

Reading all the post in this thread has been depressing. I used to be rxcited for atsc 3.0 with 4k content. Not anymore.

1 Like

Hearst broadcasting turned on encryption today for their WTAE ATSC 3.0 signal in Pittsburgh.

I blasted them on Twitter (@hearst). Everybody else that is similarly impacted by them should do the same.

They did this even though their 1.0 tower in the Pittsburgh area is far south of the city and notoriously difficult for everyone to pick up. There was a repeater closer to the city that they conveniently shut down not long after the ATSC 3. 0 signal went live.

SiliconDust was able to add DRM support to their player. If it becomes a huge problem wondering if we could raise money to add the support to channels.

Can you record DRM ? or Silicondust adding DRM is just a rumor as I see no announcement?

My wild guess is they would need to make the tuner hardware to be able to get this "privilege".

You would have to check but I thought the DRM support was added in 2016.

1 Like

That is for Viewing Cable Premium Channels not ATSC 3.0 which is a different type of DRM.

Almost, not quite yet.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=390156#p390156

1 Like
3 Likes