ATSC 3 - Complain to the FCC to stop encryption

See this video for info

8 Likes

I signed it. Everyone, please sign!

6 Likes

something to consider, if code is speech under the first amendment ( Bernstein v. Department of Justice) then requiring decryption is compelled speech to use public airwaves.

Done. I doubt they'll do anything about encryption because they've already let broadcasters implement it, I think the best we can hope for is that they mandate a standard for open access. But they failed miserably at this with Cablecard replacement, so I'm not even hopeful about that.

1 Like

I added my comments to the FCC filing - looks like more than 500 have also done the same in the past several days. Keep those comments coming!

1 Like

Done. sure hope those idiots listen but don't have high hopes

2 Likes

Done!!

Signed!

Just FYI: Be sure to also submit a comment to the FCC, per the instructions here. And don't just copy & paste the OP's message, word-for-word.

1 Like

Here's what I posted... changed some language from the video

I am writing in opposition to DRM Encryption being part of the ATSC 3.0 standard for public airwaves. Broadcasters have recently and aggressively rolled out encryption on the ATSC 3.0 signals in my area and throughout the United States. This encryption restricts most available tuners that are on the market from accessing the public airway transmissions.

Recently, in my area. WXIX and WLWT have encrypted their transmission of ATSC 3.0 and I can no longer access the content and I did not reliably receive ATSC 1.0 transmission of these broadcast networks.

Encrypting over the air signals goes against the mission of serving the public's interest. Encryption adds an unnecessary point of failure for receiving important information during emergency situations. Unlike private transmissions (such as cable tv networks), these broadcast transmissions were setup for PUBLIC use. They have no right to encrypt these broadcasts since it's deemed for the public.

There are anti-trust implications as well. Encryption restricts the consumer's right to watch content from the public airwaves using tuners and personal recording equipment of their choice. With ATSC 1.0 consumers have many choices for watching and recording over the air television. With ATSC 3.0, only equipment approved by the broadcaster through an arduous, opaque, archaic, and expensive process will be approved to access and tune the content. E.W. Scripps purchased a manufacturer of tuning and recording equipment giving Scripps an advantage in the marketplace over competing products.

The broadcasters have defended their claims of encryption with nonsensical, non-factual reasoning. Paraphrasing, they have stated encryption is important for copy protection from hackers and "deep-fakes." The reality of the situation is their intentions are nefarious and do not align with public interest. Their interest aligns with broadcast retransmission fees that now make up a significant portion of their revenue.

Attorneys for the broadcasters have effectively stopped every large scale retransmission effort making encryption unnecessary to protect their broadcast exclusivity rights {IE the American Broadcasting Cos., Inc. v. Aereo, Inc, 573 U.S. 431 (2014) Supreme Court Case}. The intensions of these broadcasters is to make it extremely difficult for the public consumer to watch free over the air television in order to shift the consumer to paid subscription services where the broadcasters receive more revenue from the retransmission fees.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

4 Likes

So suppose you do stop DRM, what will the broadcasters do? Will it have any effect on the programming that is broadcast? Just wondering what is best for users in the long run.

I highly doubt DRM is going to be a determining factor on major network content. They have the means to stop piracy through the legal process. As of today, they are getting the majority of their money via retransmission fees. What's going to determine whether the major networks continue to invest in content is going to be whether they can make more money or not by shifting it to their streaming networks. However, if there comes a time when it looks as if the major networks are no longer interested in programming their stations, then it might be time for the government to step in and deconsolidate the media companies which turned out to be a massive mistake in retrospect. Bob Iger from Disney is already talking about divesting their stations this week.

We should not be worried and acquiesce to giant media conglomerates. The airwaves are owned by the people.

1 Like

I admire your optimism and staunch anti-encryptionalism.

2 Likes

Well said!

his new video says that not only does SD/hdhomerun have to certify to decrypt, but also other dvr services like Channels may have to do so as well to be able to record. I bet that is a PITA to accomplish.

1 Like

Not gonna happen. This medium is dead unfortunately for the long run! Sad. Time to move to HDMI capturing.

EDIT: and randomly you will get "Are you still there?" prompts. It's fing infuriating so both mediums are just a no go. Seriously thinking TV is no longer a activity! Beep it. Books? Sex? IDK this sht is not right.

EDIT: Might be time to join the hollywood strikes for consumer rights along with their creation rights!

2 Likes

I think there is an extension for Google Chrome that disables are you still there prompts.

For Android TV? How does that work? I am naive! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only Chrome Capturing can make use of that extension.