ATSC3 issues with audio/video

We need a 30s tuner capture from the station to be able to investigate. The only one provided above was for WPEC

Also note that we are not prioritizing ATSC3 development at this time until there is more clarity on the DRM issue.

2 Likes

@tmm1 I just sent the 30s tuner capture to [email protected]. The message is about 22MB but I assume you're mail server will accept it. If not, please let me know another method of getting it to you. I tried gzip'ing just in case but as you probably already know it didn't reduce the size much at all.

Thanks for letting me know that ATSC3 development is not a priority because of DRM. Hopefully your team will have a little time to look into this issue and hopefully it's a simple fix but that's a lot of hoping I know! :grinning:

Sinclair is the one currently implementing Dolby Atmos audio, and they haven't been adding DRM to their broadcasts (yet). While the broadcasts are still DRM-free, it would be nice to be able to watch the channel with Dolby Atmos!

I also spent $25 for a client app in which the website says "It Just Works" :wink:

Atmos and AC4 are different things. I cannot find any evidence that Atmos is being used on any broadcasts.

I heard from someone at the broadcast side that it’s Dolby Atmos. They are transporting Dolby Atmos audio using the AC4 codec.

2 Likes

Just checking in to see if there is any progress yet with fixing this

Found this Video .... Shows Channels

I lost audio on WRAL 105.1 in Raleigh, NC. Audio works in HD Homerun app on AppleTV. Video does exactly what happens on his YouTube video. They recently started broadcasting in HDR and looks like crap on HD Homerun app and doesn't look good in Channels. I'd be happy to submit a sample.

1 Like

Complaint on SiliconDust forum today also WRAL in Raleigh, NC is broadcasting in HDR - Silicondust

2 Likes

I posted it there as well so they could fix HDR on their app. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

10 channel english audio but Spanish stereo track works?

1 Like

The video just spins (displays first frame of stream) and video will not play. I don't have a secondary audio track, but If I click off audio, the video stream will start to play. No idea if I have 10 tracks. Prior, it was 2 channel AC4.

EDIT: after about 5 mins it starts to play without audio.
EDIT 2: HDR looks "decent" but not normal HDR on ChannelsDVR and correctly show HDR banner. Looks bad on non-HDR tv. Looks really bad in HD Homerun app.

1 Like

This is essentially the same thing many of us are seeing when the station changes their end to some specific format when using ATSC3. Per the thread above some of us have submitted a video clip so the developers can look into this when this issue's priority raises.

Since it seem like it's just happening to a small part of their customer base the priority hasn't raised I guess.

As more people report this problem I'm sure the priority of this issue will raise so it can get worked on even though they're not doing much development for ATSC3 because of DRM.

1 Like

ATSC 1.0 looks horrible due to the repack. I finally have higher quality 1080p and they have added HDR and multichannel audio, yet I can't use it because there is no audio via Channels.

Usually they leave 1.0 stations alone as far as bitrate goes. Is it a signal strength issue where 3.0 stations have better signal? My 1.0 stations are as good looking as they have ever been.

3.0 is usually just upscaled 1080i or 720p to 1080p. In my market it looks fine unless it is live sports and then it looks horrible, pretty much unwatchable.

Multichannel audio has always been part of 1.0 and 3.0

What client are you using? If you arent using appletv you might want to switch. I blocked my 3.0 stations on my HDHR but when i had them enabled the audio was perfect. You have to have something to decode ac4 though. My sony tv does so i use earc from the TV to my receiver and thay worked well.

The HDHR app works becuase they do that funky cloud audio transcoding so its not an apples to apples comparison with channels.

Hi Slapman. I assume you missed my previous posts that I was replying to. I'm not a newbie to this, just wondering why Channels won't help with my audio issue. The station I mentioned is probably the most cutting edge in ATSC 3.0 and is shooting news in 4K and sending it out 1080p HDR and I can't watch it because they apparently upgraded from 2 channel AC4 to multichannel. The engineer had informed me of this at launch of their ATSC 3.0 lighthouse that has Fox and PBS. Fox launched with multichannel AC4 so I assumed NBC was using early ASTC 3.0 stuff.

Thank you for taking time to explain the stuff. Yes, I use OTA for sports and on 1.0 it looks absolutely horrible in most cases with all the extra channels packed in on the same spectrum. I like to record and rewatch sports.