ATV app crashes - after update today-9-17

The update just got put into review by Apple. Hopefully it will be available soon.

What is your testing process?

This is such an obvious scenario, “launch with guide already selected” how could it be missed?

For those that can’t get the channels app to work a work around is to install the free VLC app. You won’t get any guide data but you are able to stream from you turner via DLNA. It is in no way a replacement for channels but I use it for those occasions where it is broken.

“Internal quality control”

LOL

Add me to the list. Sigh…

Version 2.1.38 is now available on the App Store. It should take a few minutes to propagate through the system. This update fixes the crashes seen earlier today.

Sorry about the window of downtime. Everything should be back to normal now.

Thanks for the prompt response here,

Shame that some folks have jumped up and down rather quickly and I suspect might regret writing such angry posts. For me this is the very first time anything has gone wrong with Channels since I first started using it quite a while ago, and the issue was admitted by dev staff quickly and a fix was made in record time.

As to the timing of “football” Sunday, seriously, you think that a developer for a global app should consider this as part of a release schedule, that is actually set by Apple in terms of when they approve the submitted app and then make it available to users.

Yes these things shouldn’t happen, but this stuff is complex, if the likes of Apple/Microsoft/Oracle can release products with issues, then we need to show a bit of understanding for this great team who are obviously not happy with what has happened.

So I say to the developers, thanks.

The 2.1.38 update should be available on the App Store now. If you don’t see it, try quitting the App Store app and launching it again.

If you still don’t see it, and need an immediate fix, you can click here to get an TestFlight invite for our latest beta which has the same fix.

Thank you for the quick fix!

I think we all understand things happen, but come on.

1. This is now the 2nd update recently that crashed the app.
  2. This is the most expensive app for tv in the app store along with an $8 monthly charge
  3. I expect better testing especially when it was so widespread and as soon as you hit the guide menu I mean how is that not caught
  4. You released an update on possibly the worst time ever in the US market. I had 15 people over only to find out we had to leave to go down to a bar because they app crashed.

I think we all know things happen but there could have been many things that prevented this. There is a beta channel for a reason

The only thing that fixed it for me was biting the bullet and updating the ATV to iOS 11 beta. You can do that through the software update section by allowing beta software. iOS is releasing on Tuesday anyway, so I figured what the hell. The update went well and Channels now works. YMMV.

Mine is doing the same on three Apple tvs deleting it and reinstalling does not help.

WOW, unreal how fast you guys updated the software to fix a bug. Great service. Best $25 app I have ever bought. :smile:

1 Like

Install 2.1.38 update from the App Store. If you don’t see it, quit and restart the App Store app.

A post was split to a new topic: HDHR DUAL - Tuner not available error

I updated the app in the App Store and channels came back up. Also rescanned channels. Problem now is that the four network channels no longer show up in guide; Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS. Yet I can select “On Now” then “Sports” and it clearly shows NFL Sunday Night Football. That’s the only way I was able to finally tune in the game. Is Guide still having problems?

There are no issues known like the one you’re describing. If the On Now tab shows the channels, then so should the other tabs. Are you sure there isn’t a filter selected on your Guide tab? Select “HD Channels” on the left of the guide.

If you deleted the app earlier today, you probably lost your favorites. You may have been on that filter. You’ll need to re-pick your favorites.

That fixed it! Must have defaulted back to SD when it update and I didn’t catch it. Thanks!

I think this was a pretty impressive response from the developers. Which is in marked contrast to some other software I can think of.

1 Like